Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is what I am using right now:

Helmet- Shoei RF-1100. I have nothing to compare it to, since it's my first ff helmet. It seems okay, only problem is that it fogs up very easily so most of the time I am riding with the face shield cracked a few inches. I hope that the helmet is still safe when doing that. The fogging issue could actually be a deal breaker.

Gloves- Held. I really like these, good for not freezing weather.

Jacket- Tourmaster Transition 2- got this on clearance for $100, same as the Transition 3. I wear it as my winter jacket daily. I also have a Schott Perfecto motorcycle jacket (for the Harley). I also have a Fulmer jacket since it was the only one I could find in time for the MSF class. It is great in the summer but I don't think the mesh offers much abrasion protection and I don't know how good the armor is, so it might turn into a summer jacket for off the bike.

Armor- Leatt 3DF Airfit, I use this with the Schott jacket. It has CE level 2 body armor and seems to be the best out there. It is cut really small. I have the Small/Medium and it is tight as anything, which it is supposed to be. If you want to wear a leather jacket that doesn't have armor, this thing is a good option. The shirt is like a compression shirt and has soft armor.

I also have Bohn pants that have hip, knee, shin, thigh, and tail armor. I wear those under Bilt ironworkers jeans that have some Kevlar. I wore chaps over the Kevlar jeans before I had the Bohn pants, but the chaps don't fit with the Bohn pants.

Pants- Sedici Alexi pants. They are warm and have two linings. They make you look like the Michelin Man since they are so puffy. They cut down on your mobility to the point where you can barely swing a leg over the bike. They are good for cold weather and have knee armor built in. I'm skeptical of the quality of stuff at Cycle Gear. When we were at Revzilla, I saw the $500 pants and didn't really see what the hype was about. I'm looking for another option. The good thing is that you can take out the layers and wear the Sedici pants in the summer. I just go with the thought that they are better than nothing. I think that leather chaps are better than the Sedici pants and I will continue to wear chaps with the FZ for protection (they say Harley down the leg...hah)

Boots- TCX-RS-2 I haven't worn these on the bike yet since they feel like they don't quite fit and these would be an expensive pair of non-fitting shoes. I also don't know how you ride a motorcycle with shoes so thick. I wore very flexible non-motorcycle boots my first time out on the bike since I didn't want to have too many new factors thrown in when riding the bike. I'm going to try riding with the TCX boots and see what happens.

When it's cold- Freeze out pants and shirt from Cycle gear- good stuff!

I can't say that I look like some sexy riding female with all this stuff, but I'm more interested in crash protection instead of looking like one of those women in the motorcycle ads. Don't get me wrong, I like how the women look, but then I think about crash protection and that wins. Life is easier when you aren't out trying to impress anyone with what you look like.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Since i ride every single day, minus saturdays, i wear lighter stuff..

Boots made of mexican leather, knee high almost,.i wear my 20$ retro jacket thag i found in dtla, thick as heck leather. But under i wear dainese armored shirt.
i wear jeans,.and.a thermal pants under if its cold.

Some hjc 450$ helmet, that i got for 2hundo in downtown.

But yeah personally i think most companies are dang crooks. So i hate buying from crooks.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Here is what I am using right now:

Helmet- Shoei RF-1100. I have nothing to compare it to, since it's my first ff helmet. It seems okay, only problem is that it fogs up very easily so most of the time I am riding with the face shield cracked a few inches. I hope that the helmet is still safe when doing that. The fogging issue could actually be a deal breaker.
if your shield is pinlock ready, you can get a pinlock insert for it and it should eliminate fogging.

for non-pinlock shields i've always used fog city fog shield stick-ons, they're about $15.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
HJC RPS10 hemlet with pin lock - never fogs and i love the liner - very comfortable and fits my SMH10r communicator no problem

Astars SMX 5 boots
Astars Resist kevlar jeans with CE bio armor in the knees
Dianese CE hard shorts
Astars Jaws perf leather jacket with upgraded bionic air back protector
Scorpion Guardian Guantlet gloves - usually wear these but i also have a pair of Scorpion SGS gloves too - they are both the best pair i've owned

I may pick up an AStars are dianese textile jacket this summer - leaning towards astars so i can use the same back protector in my leather jacket. In the summer, particularly commuting to work, my leather jacket, even with the perf is too damn hot.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Instead of the full list, my fav: Suits :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear

Easy on/off over regular clothes, handles a variety of weather well, good crash protection. I got the 2 piece but doing again I'd get the one piece.

Yeah, Held gloves are great, some of my gloves are Held, some other brands.

I think an ATGATT woman is sexy, shows she is smart. ATGATT is removable, stupid isn't.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
My favorite Jacket and pants, the best made in my opinion are the Motoport Kevlar jackets and pants that are custom made for your exact size, are 10 times stronger than leather and you can't beat the warranty.

·
Vendor
22 R7 | 21 T7
3,302 Posts
My favorite Jacket and pants, the best made in my opinion are the Motoport Kevlar jackets and pants that are custom made for your exact size, are 10 times stronger than leather and you can't beat the warranty.
I'm with you.

I just bought a full get up last year to replace my aging, and rashed old two piece. The quad armor is amazing and the coverage is even better. Custom fit, made in the USA. Worth every penny so far, though I hope I never need it.

Otherwise, I have nothing but love for Schuberth, Held, and A*. Crash tested (track and street) and it all works.

I also have a two-piece Vanson that I wear when I feel like wearing leather. The rash adds character. I have a one piece Teknic for the track, but I've never been completely fond of the fit. Tight in the arms and legs, loose in the waist. Maybe I'll update that this year.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i need to save up and get an aerostich 1 piece. They look great but a grand for the full get up, i'm not sure my wife thinks my life is worth that much :)

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I'd always worn a full helmet, gloves and boots but the rest was lame, jeans with Kevlar patches and a long sleeve shirt lol.

I started riding with a club that said "to keep riding with us you have to be ATGATT". So I ordered a 2 piece Aerostich thinking maybe sometimes I'd just use the jacket etc. While waiting for the 'stich I bought a used 1 piece leather race suit from another club member.

In those leathers (still waiting for the 'stich) I hit a fawn at 70mph, my leg was caught under the bike so I slid to a stop on my left side, without the leathers I'd have been hamburger, with them I just had a rasberry on my shoulder from the first impact of the leathers. Oh, and a broken collar bone and cracked ribs, but those would probably have been worse too without the leathers.

So yeah, I'm an ATGATT believer lol. I always use both pieces of my Aerostich together, so the only advantage is in hot weather I can unzip the waist except for at the spine for more air flow. But a one piece 'stich has plenty of vents that can be opened and it is a bit quicker on/off, a little less bulk etc.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
HJC RPS-10.....Ben Spies Replica model. The most comfortable helmet that I've ever owned....which includes Shoei, Arai, and several others.

Gloves...Held Phantom and Phantom II. I've got three pairs and they just work. They've been crash tested on the track a couple of time and they just keep on tickin'

Suit...Pilot brand 2 pc. custom fit leather suit....perforated for summer/mild temperatures

Suit...Gericke one pc. perf leather suit

Suit...Hein Gericke 2 pc full zip non perf. leather suit

Suit...Olympia Air Glide III Textile full suit

Boots...SIDI....three pairs of them. Two of the Vertigo Corsa and one pair of the of the Cobra's.

Custom Molded ear plugs......Ear-ific brand

Back protector...Forcefield Body Armor

Chest protector...Forcefield matching chest protector

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Motorport has something interesting over in CA. I'm wondering if their marketing is correct and their Kevlar jackets and pants are stronger than leather. At some point, I am going to get a two piece Vanson leather or Motorport/Aerostitch. I did see a Vanson black leather two piece but it was horsehide and if it didn't fit I couldn't return it. I have heard horse hide is stronger, but it's from a horse!

·
Vendor
22 R7 | 21 T7
3,302 Posts
Motorport has something interesting over in CA. I'm wondering if their marketing is correct and their Kevlar jackets and pants are stronger than leather. At some point, I am going to get a two piece Vanson leather or Motorport/Aerostitch. I did see a Vanson black leather two piece but it was horsehide and if it didn't fit I couldn't return it. I have heard horse hide is stronger, but it's from a horse!
Having both Vanson and Motoport, if I were to choose, I'd get the Motoport. Both are very comfy, but the greater temperature range goes to the Motoport. Plus, it's nice to have pockets. But, all in, you're looking at something in the area of $1500. Plan ahead, though - I had a 13 week wait when I ordered mine.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Actually, I believe that kangaroo leather is suppose to be the lightest weight/strongest of the choices.....just a bit more expensive though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree that Motoport has superior products. After touring his facility in San Marcos, California, I bought the kevlar street jeans and kevlar air mesh jacket, about $1000. The products are not sexy like leathers, but they get the job done.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I can't say that I've had any other gear to try, but here's my set up, and I'm pleased:

Helmet: Arai Base
Body: Rev'It Ignition 2 Jacket
Legs: Rev'It Gear 2 Leather Pants
Feet: TCX X-Action waterproof boots (for the cold, will likely get one of the SMX boots for summer)
Winter Gloves: Klim Togwotees
Summer Gloves: Teknic Violators

Coming soon: Icon Squad 3 Orange backpack (black and orange theme)

I'm planning on picking up one of the new electronic dimming faceshield pinlock inserts from e-Tine. I have "points" at a local store that will cover half the cost.

Btw, for those that may not know: ATGATT = All The Gear All The Time

1 - 20 of 35 Posts