Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oil changes are not problem. I also have no issue winterzing my outboard engine and all my garden equipment. However, I'm nervous about removing the tank on my FZ to access the spark plugs to squirt some oil in them to store the bike over the winter. I know I'm going to screw up and chip or scratch the tank or frame. That's just me. Is there a way to fog the engine using fogging oil through the air intake as I do with all my other engines? Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Winterizing a motorcycle doesn't require any "fogging". No one I know in 49 years of riding does that. Just add STA BIL to a full tank of gasoline....connect a battery tender JR to the battery....and park the bike on a carpet or some cardboard....and that's it. When warm weather comes around...change the oil and ride off into the sunset.

·
Registered
473 Posts
tank removal is required to perform a lot of different stuff on the bike. For example fuel injection balance, shock access for removal and air filter access. If you don't remove the tank you will be paying someone to do it soon enough. The main thing is to protect the frame from getting scratches near the front of tank. I've seen several bike with deep scratches in the painted frame.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
You're pretty much going to need to remove the tank to fog the bike...it may be possible to get some of the spray up into the intake from in front near the radiator, but I dont think you could do a good job of it that way, and would likely make a pretty good mess.

That being said,fogging the engine is not really needed, but if you do chose to do it, removing the tank is really not that hard

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Shock removal does not require the removal of the tank, but taping the frame is a must. Stabil, charger, stands, carpet, and I forget about it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
My bike will be stored in a week or so. She goes back on the road come the first week of April - that's like in 5 1/2 months. If I were storing the bike for much longer, that'll be a different procedure all together - and would include oiling the cylinders.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Ok, maybe a dumb question. I understand the charger and the stabil if you are going to store your bike for the winter, but what is the purpose of the carpet or cardboard?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Fogging is theoretically advisable, but I don't bother with it and haven't seen any problems. If the bike was going to be sitting 8-12 months or more I'd do it, but for just for the winter I don't think it's really important.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I keep my bike in an outdoor building over the winter. Usually doesn't get any lower than 15-20 degrees, so it's not too bad. Is it a bad thing to take the battery out of the bike and leave it on a charger in the house or will that cause any problems? None that I can think of, just wondering before I actually do it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I keep my bike in an outdoor building over the winter. Usually doesn't get any lower than 15-20 degrees, so it's not too bad. Is it a bad thing to take the battery out of the bike and leave it on a charger in the house or will that cause any problems? None that I can think of, just wondering before I actually do it.
No harm will come from removing the battery and storing it inside.
All my bike batteries are inside for the winter :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts