Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are 4 of us flying from Oh/Wv to San Diego in the spring for our bike trip this yr. We plan on doing a loop up the coast and around, then flying home. The boys are all wanting to rent Harley's- but I REFUSE. I love my Fz09, and am incredibly comfortable on her- no need for anything else.

Our last long ride was 6 days from Wv down to Charleston, Sc. My husband and I rode the whole way home in one day-over 8 hrs & 517 miles. By the end it was brutal, but we made it. I did considerably better on my stock seat than he did on his VTX!

I'm looking for recommendatuons for a affordable rental place. Or, better yet- anyone in the area willing to rent me thier bike for a week? I am more than happy to sign all legal paperwork- accept full financial responsibility, wave all liablilty of owner, completely indemnify him and carry full coverage on insurance. It would take due diligence on both our parts to make sure we were both covered/comfortable. From the quick searches I've done- it's looking around $1000/wk from a dealer. Who can make me a better offer?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Google around in LA and San Diego.

Motorcycle rental is not an easy thing to get but there are options.

It has been my experience that you can find rentals for HD and BMW and very little else.

There was a sportbike rental place in LA area a few years ago but they did not last long and went out of business. Probably due to insurance issues or just not having enough profit.

I can't point to any one source other than Eaglerider.com but that is primarily a touring (HD and BMW) rentals

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
There are 4 of us flying from Oh/Wv to San Diego in the spring for our bike trip this yr. We plan on doing a loop up the coast and around, then flying home. The boys are all wanting to rent Harley's- but I REFUSE. I love my Fz09, and am incredibly comfortable on her- no need for anything else.

Our last long ride was 6 days from Wv down to Charleston, Sc. My husband and I rode the whole way home in one day-over 8 hrs & 517 miles. By the end it was brutal, but we made it. I did considerably better on my stock seat than he did on his VTX!

I'm looking for recommendatuons for a affordable rental place. Or, better yet- anyone in the area willing to rent me thier bike for a week? I am more than happy to sign all legal paperwork- accept full financial responsibility, wave all liablilty of owner, completely indemnify him and carry full coverage on insurance. It would take due diligence on both our parts to make sure we were both covered/comfortable. From the quick searches I've done- it's looking around $1000/wk from a dealer. Who can make me a better offer?
Motoquest in Long Beach was great to work with. They will also deliver bikes to other locations. BMW's that is. I flogged a F800GS all the way to Alaska from there.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I would just ship my bike.... 1000 dollars covers shipping both ways.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I've used Racy Rentals out of LA and Vegas. They have FZ09s available, as well as tons of other amazing bikes. They focus on sport and touring bikes from Japanese and euro mfgrs, as opposed to the Harley rental places. I had a great experience with them. They can also provide gear and luggage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Personally, if it's going to cost me $1000 to ship it, or $1000 to rent a bike, I'd rent a bike. Then you don't have to worry about your bike possibly getting damaged in shipping and all the related headaches of having to get it fixed.

It just seems easier to fly there, pick up the rental, ride it all week then drop it off and head back home. I'd only take my bike if I was riding it there or trailering it there.

Just my thoughts and Racy Rentals has a little bit of a discount for a one week rental, $900 per week.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I have done a bunch of trips with rentals. The advantages are many. I carry AAA Plus motorcycles if I need a tow. I insure the rental bikes at the rental center. If their bike breaks, I leave it where it sits and call the rental company, a luxury my friend did not have with his personal bike that broke down in Cortez, CO. It would have taken a couple of days to get the part and fix. He ended up trading his beloved CBR1000F for a FJR1300 to stay on schedule with the rest of us. Another time, a friend totalled a bike in Costa Rica in a massive slide from volcanic ash. The rental company brought him another bike that day so that we could continue on our trip. Also, if the rental bike is stolen while I sleep in a motel, I could care less, not so with my beloved FZ.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts