Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a pair of Fly Force mesh gloves in black from Revzilla.com and I thought I would share my opinion on them. I have a pair of Dianese leather gloves that are absolutely awesome, but are too tight on my thumbs and cut off circulation after a half hour of riding. I thought I would get a reasonably priced set of mesh gloves for summer style riding as I commute back and forth to work in Los Angeles. The pictures on the site looked good, and the reviews all said that the gloves were a great buy for the money. Just under $40. Unfortunately, that means that Revzilla won't be shipping them for free, and actually makes the gloves more expensive than if they hadn't reduced the price to under $40. The joke is only really on me because I hate these gloves and am paying that shipping again to return them. Here's why:

First off, the gloves fit my thumb worse than the Dianese. In their defense, they aren't too tight, but my thumb actually begins where the red dot is and the glove just feels uncomfortable.

The knuckle protection feels thin, soft, and plain old junky. There also isn't any protection to speak of on the sides of the gloves.

The pointer finger is indeed cocked to the side, but should be straight ahead. I know this because the other hand of the pair of gloves does have the index finger marking pointing straight ahead. The yellow stitching on the palm is ugly, but would be tolerable if it wasn't so sloppily done. Oh, and it doesn't work well if at all with my touch screen.

Although I have no doubt this 'feature' flows a lot of air and keeps the hands cool, having the knuckle protection on this floating pad instead of being attached to the hand where it is truly needed during any sort of crash just doesn't feel safe enough for me. I also think it looks ridiculous.

I doubt anyone that looks at your gloves with the floating knuckle panel will think "Oh, I bet his knuckles are pretty cool under there!" They will be thinking "Uh uh, I think his crappy gloves are falling apart." I kind of feel that way even though I know they were designed to look as they do.

I'm taking my $25, learning my lesson, and putting it towards getting a pair of Alpinestar gloves to match my mesh jacket. Ugh. I hope some of you can learn from my mistakes here.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I wear my Held Phantoms in all temperatures, except when it gets cold....then it's Gerbing heated gloves.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have found gloves are a very individual thing. I pay no attention to reviews. I wear gloves that fit. No review will tell you if the gloves fit you, you must try them on. So I purchase no gloves online. I purchase them from stores and pay a little more. I understand that some folks don't have stores in their areas so they go online. But then it is a crapshoot. Even gloves from the same company in the same sizes fit different. Fit is everything to me.

·
Registered
350 Posts
For the record I love Dainese carbon covers. But that is because the fit me perfectly; the fingers of the gloves are the exact length of my fingers. They are snug, but not so tight that they cut of circulation. The palms have no looseness to them so I can feel the throttle perfectly. They don't slip and are constructed so I fell confident that if I fall, and I put my hand down on the pavement at speed, they won't shred instantly. This is what you should look for in gloves. This cannot be discerned from reading reviews. Try them on. Walk around with them on for at least 15 minutes longer if possible. It took me 3 years to find gloves that I really like. Next year Dainese may change their pattern and I might have to search again.

There is no way that my favorite gloves will be your favorite gloves. Don't rely on reviews. Do your own research. Sorry for the rant but for me, gloves are critical. I don't track anymore but gloves are your interface with the bike. The other gear you wear matters when you crash. Gloves matter every moment you ride. They really make a difference. Find the right ones for you. And then ignore the reviews. Rant over.

Whew.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For the record I love Dainese carbon covers. But that is because the fit me perfectly; the fingers of the gloves are the exact length of my fingers. They are snug, but not so tight that they cut of circulation. The palms have no looseness to them so I can feel the throttle perfectly. They don't slip and are constructed so I fell confident that if I fall, and I put my hand down on the pavement at speed, they won't shred instantly. This is what you should look for in gloves. This cannot be discerned from reading reviews. Try them on. Walk around with them on for at least 15 minutes longer if possible. It took me 3 years to find gloves that I really like. Next year Dainese may change their pattern and I might have to search again.

There is no way that my favorite gloves will be your favorite gloves. Don't rely on reviews. Do your own research. Sorry for the rant but for me, gloves are critical. I don't track anymore but gloves are your interface with the bike. The other gear you wear matters when you crash. Gloves matter every moment you ride. They really make a difference. Find the right ones for you. And then ignore the reviews. Rant over.

Whew.
I love my Dianese gloves too. The problem for me was that when I bought my first set of gear, I got my helmet very slightly too large and my gloves very slightly too small. Exactly the opposite from what I should have done. Now I know better. I know gloves fit everyone differently, and some people might even fit the Fly Force gloves, but I doubt it. My biggest problems with the gloves weren't the fit as much as the way they looked and felt junky. Bad build quality and unfortunate design. The pics online look great, tho. I totally agree that in person is the best way to pick out your gear having tried it all on, but most of the shops near me either sell out of the gear my size too quickly, charge way too much, or don't stock anything I would be interested in anyway. That leads me back to the internet to search for gear reviews and see if I can't make due with something I order. Over $40, Revzilla ships for free and I don't pay sales tax in California. Their prices are reasonable on top of that. That all makes trying out gear through the mail feasible. Especially since I can always use my old gloves in the interim if I'm waiting for another set to arrive... like I'm doing right now.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I've had Dianese and Alpinestar glove that cost way over $120. After one time in the rain both of the sets of gloves were useless. Way too small for anyone to wear so in the trash they went. I bought a pair of Sedici carbon/mesh/leather gloves for $79 on sale at cycle gear (reg $129) and love them! I've had them for 3 years now, they are doing great after almost 30,000 miles of use, and I will not wear anything else!!! I have another pair ready to go when I deem these too far gone to wear anymore.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I have found gloves are a very individual thing. I pay no attention to reviews. I wear gloves that fit. No review will tell you if the gloves fit you, you must try them on. So I purchase no gloves online. I purchase them from stores and pay a little more. I understand that some folks don't have stores in their areas so they go online. But then it is a crapshoot. Even gloves from the same company in the same sizes fit different. Fit is everything to me.
Amen - this and pants reviews - there are just too many different cuts to really know if you're getting the right thing online. It's a shame that most dealers (at least by me) don't offer much stock of anything. They'll order whatever you want but you're on the hook for paying for it without trying on which is the same as going to Zilla.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Call it sheer luck, careful shopping, or accurate reviews, but I just got back from my first ride wearing my Alpinestar GP Air gloves from Revzilla and I love them. They flow such a large amount of air, they fit my hands great, and although they're not leather in most places, I think they have some even more important safety features built in. I have webbing between my pinky and ring fingers that isn't restrictive during normal use. Carbon reinforced knuckles as well as carbon armor on the first digits of the hand. Great padding on the wrist bone, the back of the thumb, and the outside of the palm (think karate chop) will do more to prevent the most common fractures from survivable crashes than the Dianese gloves I am retiring. If you have the time and facilities to go to your local shop and try a pair of these on, I suggest you do so. If not, order a pair from Revzilla and test your luck. I'll file this one in the win column, personally.

·
Registered
4 Posts
"I've had Dianese and Alpinestar glove that cost way over $120. After one time in the rain both of the sets of gloves were useless. Way too small for anyone to wear so in the trash they went. I bought a pair of Sedici carbon/mesh/leather gloves for $79 on sale at cycle gear (reg $129) and love them! I've had them for 3 years now, they are doing great after almost 30,000 miles of use, and I will not wear anything else!!! I have another pair ready to go when I deem these too far gone to wear anymore."

I'm just interested in what you say bike gloves, give me a link contrast of it.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Gloves can be hard to buy without trying them on first. I have some gloves that fit perfect as a medium while other brands fit best in size large. So I find it best to try them on before your buy. I have purchased gear online after find what size fits at a local store. But only if the price difference makes it worthwhile.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I only buy Racer gloves which are from the Netherlands, I think. The reason is that they are the most protective for the money (at least, I'm led to believe that), and they fit my hand perfectly.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I've had a couple beers, but will attempt to engage in a motorcycle glove related discussion :) I can appreciate the sentiment that the OP is trying to get across here. It can be tough to buy stuff like gloves on line some times... Icon products' stitching seems to fall out just by breathing on them. Can't really tell that until you own them for a couple weeks usually.
Anyway, I took a chance on Scorpion's Guardian gloves and was very surprised at the nice quality at sub $100 price
Scorpion Guardian Gloves - RevZilla

Here are a few pictures, and keep in mind I ride every day and these have been used for over a year. Solid street gloves. They run maybe a half size big.

Black Glove Personal protective equipment Leather Footwear
Glove Safety glove Personal protective equipment Sports gear Bicycle glove

1 - 13 of 13 Posts