Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Nail in the rear tire, don't want to risk patching it up. Looking for a tire with longest tread life. Riding style 95% for commute and running errands. Will be taking it to the repair shop today.

Please advice. Got a quote for Michellin Pilot Power 3 with installation for $180. But I read they are not great for someone looking for long tread life.

Thanks in advance guys, any recommendations appreciated.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Apparently the PR4s have a 8-10K life with the usage you are looking at.
I have them on- will update after 5k miles! ;)

·
Registered
673 Posts
If you're looking for long life and a good quality, compromise tire, the Michelin Pilot Road 3 or 4 is where it's at. Invest in a set, not just one. Sell your other tire to recoup some lost funds. My two cents. By the way, I've had patches in a few tires, tested up to almost top speed on my R1, they work fine.

Reactions: motorock

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Pilot road 4.
I got 16000 ks out of a set of PR3s on a Versys 650, the 4s are supposed to get 20% more mileage, so should get about the same on a more powerful bike like the 09. I liked the 3s so much I put a set of 4s on the 09 as soon as the stock ones were toast.
I put 5000ks on my first rear pr4 doing the same sort of riding you mention before I got a nail through it, it looked new apart from the big ****ing hole in it.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
If you're looking for long life and a good quality, compromise tire, the Michelin Pilot Road 3 or 4 is where it's at. Invest in a set, not just one. Sell your other tire to recoup some lost funds. My two cents. By the way, I've had patches in a few tires, tested up to almost top speed on my R1, they work fine.
+1 on the patch. I, in fact, plugged the previous Bridgestone rear on the FZ and ran it for a good 2-3000 miles, even hitting three digits frequently on highways.
If done right, plugs or patches work well.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
PR4's, love them. I would never give advice on patching a tire because it could be a lethal piece of advice.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
At tire shop, guy here recommends getting it in sets and not use different brands, have only 1400 miles on them, now I m all confused. Don't want to get 2 new tires now.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Ideally in sets, but I often ride with different brands cause I change bikes every year and they rarely have PR2-3 or 4 stock. So as soon as the rear is gone, I change it for PR4s (went through a number of PR2s and some PR3s, seriously these tires are unbeatable in every aspect) and then I just wait for front to be due to have a matching pair.

I just did 1000km this weekend on crazy twisty roads with the stock front tire and the PR4 on the back. Not one scary moment. Do it. Just change the front when you need too.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Good choice. I have PR3s on my FZ now and got 10k miles outta both my old PR2s and PR3s rears on my SV1000S. And that thing is a torque monster tire eater, plus I live in the land of square mile blocks. So tire life is key for me.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have pilot power 3's on my FZ and in love them! Not sure what kind of mileage I will get out of them, but have 1500 on them now and there's no visible flat spot yet. I do ride a lot of twisties though which would smooth it out. I would sacrifice some longevity for super sticky rubber in the turns when I need it most.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts