Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm riding to work this AM and I turn onto a side street and hit the gas. I get up to about 65 and the engine light comes on and the engine cuts out. I coast to a stop, turn off the ignition. I turn it back on, light is off, engine starts up fine. I put it in gear and start going again and something feels wrong and the sound isn't right either. Stop again and check things out, flat rear tire. So I limp it back home (thankfully I was only like 5 miles away and could take side streets).

I haven't inspected the tire yet (had to get to work), but don't know how the bike knew to kill the motor. I'm thankful it did, because a spirited stop at the next stop sign could have been messy.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Coincidence?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Possibly, I could see that something about the engine cutting out caused the flat, but that seems unlikely. It's also the first time my engine has cut out. I have a new vcyclenut flash, but it's been solid in the 6 or 7 rides I've done with it.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Flat tires and engine cutoff are not related

Reactions: zloikish

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I don't see any relationship between engine cutoff and flat tire.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
So, I'm riding to work this AM and I turn onto a side street and hit the gas. I get up to about 65 and the engine light comes on and the engine cuts out. I coast to a stop, turn off the ignition. I turn it back on, light is off, engine starts up fine. I put it in gear and start going again and something feels wrong and the sound isn't right either. Stop again and check things out, flat rear tire. So I limp it back home (thankfully I was only like 5 miles away and could take side streets).

I haven't inspected the tire yet (had to get to work), but don't know how the bike knew to kill the motor. I'm thankful it did, because a spirited stop at the next stop sign could have been messy.

Any thoughts?
The FZ09 is one of the smartest bikes out there, if not The smartest!
And I'm a smart ass, aren't I?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Possibly, I could see that something about the engine cutting out caused the flat, but that seems unlikely. It's also the first time my engine has cut out. I have a new vcyclenut flash, but it's been solid in the 6 or 7 rides I've done with it.
I have also experienced this, and I also have the flash by vcyclenut. Bike shuts off after a bounce or two off the rev limiter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts