Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is the best way to benefit from ecu flash and pcv? Right now I have both fuel maps running. Am I wasting fuel? It was a pain to install pcv so would be a pain to remove. Will remove if it's my best bet. Don't want it on the bike if it's obselite due to ecu flash.

How do I remove the map on the pcv? I burned out my wife laptop just leaving it plugged in the pcv with bike on. Don't want to kill her work laptop haha.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Did you get a custom map with the flash for a pipe possibly? The standard flash should not change the fuel map to the point that it would make the PCV redundant. Also, unless you are an expert at changing AFR's in a table, do not mess with the map, and have a dyno center do it. Why would you leave a laptop plugged in the PCV with the bike running for an extended period of time. I cannot believe that a USB connection burned up her laptop.

Based on what you are saying, you really should not be doing this type of work on your bike. If you are determined, Dynojet has tons of instructional videos.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you get a custom map with the flash for a pipe possibly? The standard flash should not change the fuel map to the point that it would make the PCV redundant. Also, unless you are an expert at changing AFR's in a table, do not mess with the map, and have a dyno center do it. Why would you leave a laptop plugged in the PCV with the bike running for an extended period of time. I cannot believe that a USB connection burned up her laptop.

Based on what you are saying, you really should not be doing this type of work on your bike. If you are determined, Dynojet has tons of instructional videos.
Laptop was only connected to running bike for a few mins. Less than five min. I'll check out their site. Ecu was flashed for my exhaust. Pcv map was selected for my exhaust as well.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I think you "over-mapped" it.. if thats really a term. I don't know of anyone running this setup, but I do know its not necessary to run both. ECU fuel re-map is only beneficial if you do not plan on running a secondary fuel controller like pcv.

Reactions: marthy

·
Registered
972 Posts
It depends upon which you did first.
The reflash actually modifies the internal tables, the pcv does not. The pcv intercepts the sensor signals and then modifies the signal sent from the cpu to the fuel injectors byt a certainly percent, therefore, if you set up the pcv first to modify the original table and then changed that table you would have a very poor map as the result. If you did the reflash first and then installed the pcv and had a dyno tune it, no harm. In any case though doing both is a waste of money as they are meant to produce the exact same results. It really gets complicated because even a dyno tune will not make things perfect but unless you plan to race the bike there is a point of diminishing returns. As the old saying goes, speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yep I think you'll be running way too rich. The reflash richens up the fuelling as I understand, and then the pcv will add to that. Would probably be fine with a custom map
but until then I'd run a zero map on the pcv.

Sent via Tapatalk.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Load the zero map (0 fuel all over) That will eliminate pretty much all fuel table from PCV.

If you add 10% fuel in the flash ecu and 10% in the same place in the PCV, you will have 20% more fuel in the same area. They add up by altering the signal at the injectors. Now using the O2 optimizer is a different ball game. The flash doesn't fix the close loop @ 14.7 AFR... but the optimizer does (13.6AFR I believe)

So basically you did spend extra $ on the flash for no reason since you had the PCB already. But now that the flash is done with your map... you can save few pound and remove the whole thing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Load the zero map (0 fuel all over) That will eliminate pretty much all fuel table from PCV.

If you add 10% fuel in the flash ecu and 10% in the same place in the PCV, you will have 20% more fuel in the same area. They add up by altering the signal at the injectors. Now using the O2 optimizer is a different ball game. The flash doesn't fix the close loop @ 14.7 AFR... but the optimizer does (13.6AFR I believe)

So basically you did spend extra $ on the flash for no reason since you had the PCB already. But now that the flash is done with your map... you can save few pound and remove the whole thing.

Thanks for that. Just need to figure out how to map it to zero now til I have time to remove it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
PCV map is like an Excel worksheet. Highlight the whole thing and type 0, enter.
Thank you Marthy.

I ended up hooking up the wife's laptop, w/o turning on the bike. I removed the map that was listed... or is selecting a map and setting it to zero a better option?

Sorry for the dumb questions, I've missed the short bus to school a couple times...

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Thank you Marthy.

I ended up hooking up the wife's laptop, w/o turning on the bike. I removed the map that was listed... or is selecting a map and setting it to zero a better option?

Sorry for the dumb questions, I've missed the short bus to school a couple times...
Ya just set everything to zero and click "SEND MAP" You can hit GET MAP after to make sure you sent it right... should be all 00000000

·
Vendor
1,508 Posts
buy an autotuner and make yourself a true custom fuel map, any one that loaded a fuel map remotely without having your bike is doing a form of generic tuning it is going to be good but not perfect.

if you dont care if its perfect just remove the pcv and sell it or as someone said put a zero map in it, your fueling has to be way off with a map loaded into the ecu and pcv

1 - 16 of 16 Posts