Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with getting the flash tune harness and fiddling with the ECU themselves? I was going to go this route because I want to play around with it and be able to update the tune as I do mods as per $$ allows. My main question is that FT allows you to import several map types, but where does one go to get maps for the FZ? I'm sure FT software comes with base maps pre-loaded but a lot of people have done some R&D over the years to perfect it. I haven't purchased FT harness yet i'm just doing some research first.

·
Registered
990 Posts
FT ECU has an "unrestricted" map they provide, however it is not well developed but it's a good start.

It literally takes a 100 hours or more to develop a good tune, it's a lot more than just a fuel map and and ignition map on a dyno if you want good smooth drivability. There are actually a few "shared" maps for the FZ09 that you would have access to, but they may have mapped the TPS/RPM fuel maps and tweaked the ignition maps for more advance, so it may give you some more ideas, but the people who have spent a lot of time developing a good tune will not share it.

There's a new auto-tune like feature you can add on for some $$ that would help you out with the process (I haven't used it, used a PCV and Autotune to assist before, and I have an eddy current load cell dyno in the garage also, but not too many people have that luxury)... there's a little bit of a learning curve for different ECU strategies if you're used to another system, but it's also fun stuff if you have patience and attention to detail.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I am looking at this option also, considering the other alternative is sending my ECU across the border and to the other side of the country, be it Ivan or Vcycle...to the tune of $500cdn or so.

·
Registered
407 Posts
You can't go wrong with Ivan's tune, he stands by it 100%. and if I recall it's $350
Which unfortunately with shipping and the current exchange rate is $500cdn+.

·
Registered
407 Posts
So I decided to ship my ECU to David for a flash as it is tried and true...still over $400cdn with shipping and the current exchange rate.

·
Registered
282 Posts
So I decided to ship my ECU to David for a flash as it is tried and true...still over $400cdn with shipping and the current exchange rate.
You won't be disappointed you did!

·
Registered
363 Posts
CRF, do you know if Ivan's flash enables the quick shifter function? I have his flash since October and love it but didn't even think about it back then. I went back to look at options and didn't see it.

Just wondering if you knew, I have a call into him.

·
Registered
841 Posts
CRF, do you know if Ivan's flash enables the quick shifter function? I have his flash since October and love it but didn't even think about it back then. I went back to look at options and didn't see it.

Just wondering if you knew, I have a call into him.
I want to say it does but I don't remember as I don't use it, hehe....sorry I couldn't be more help!

·
Registered
127 Posts
He offers a whole lotta stuff for that money you are spending. I actually had him throw some fuel maps on it based on my riding style, commuting 50% of the time. Standard mode for me is an amazing commute choice now. "A" mode is the fast turn map and choice. It's a wild change.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts