Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
overview
since the 09 came out, i've been waiting for flash-tune to make a flashing setup available. they recently did (big thanks to nick since he worked with flash-tune on this) and i pulled the trigger last week. it came in just a few days.

for $450 you get a bench harness for the 09 (also works with the '14 super tenere), the ft datalink usb cable, and a 12v power supply.

no instructions are included - they assume you know what you're doing. the flash-tune software can be downloaded from their web site (the setup program requires an internet connection as it downloads the actual software when you run it) and you can download the maps and fiddle around with it even if you don't have the actual flashing hardware.

the bench harness. connector on the left plugs into the ecu, upper right connector connects to the ft datalink usb cable, and the lower right connector is for the power supply.

the ft datalink cable. plugs into the bench harness and the usb end goes into your pc.

no pics of the power supply since it's just a 12v 0.5a wall wart with a typical looking jack, nothing special.

first flash and ride
for the first flash i kept it simple, only disabling the decel injector cut, lowered fan temps, and left the 'std' and 'b' modes mostly alone (removed the wfo throttle limit in 5th and 6th gears). 'a' mode was set to be a linear 1:1 map. in contrast, the stock 'std' map gives you less throttle than you ask for until just past 25% at which point it becomes 1:1.

the actual flashing of the ecu took 7 minutes. the great thing about having 3 modes is that it can make back-to-back comparisons a lot easier. you can make the modes all identical except for a single change or two, and easily see the difference the changes make back-to-back by simply switching modes while riding.

so i went for a ride on sunday and....there's a reason why yamaha softened that first 25% of throttle. it's way too sensitive. might work really well with a g2 throttle tamer though.

next up
i hacked an identical power connector from an old wall wart i had lying around to hook up to a battery tender pigtail so i can flash on the road with a laptop. it's still a pain to pull the tank to get to the ecu, but there's no way around that unless flash-tune comes out with an on-bike harness for the 09.

LOTS of fun parameters to play around with.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Very interesting, thanks for the feedback! Interested to hear more as you get more time with it... chances are I'll be looking hard at this once I'm ready to pull the trigger.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Glad to hear a forum member pull the trigger on this cable! Essentially, can someone just buy this cable, flash their ECU, then resell the cable for little to no cost?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Awesome... this is more to what I was looking for, but I still want an on the bike harness. Looking forward to some updates... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had a quick look on their website and they don't seem to have any maps available, so I'm assuming we would need someone to create one and share it?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Glad to hear a forum member pull the trigger on this cable! Essentially, can someone just buy this cable, flash their ECU, then resell the cable for little to no cost?
Kind of sounds like it, unless you get some kind of key or serial number to activate the free software.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
there's doesn't seem to be anything in the software to prevent that, but i'm sure if enough people start abusing it they could lock things down.

I had a quick look on their website and they don't seem to have any maps available, so I'm assuming we would need someone to create one and share it?
the software connects to their server and you download the flash files from there. each flash file contains all of the adjustable ecu settings for that bike - fuel maps, throttle maps, ignition maps, etc.

their files are very basic - for the 09 there are just two available, stock and 'unrestricted'. the 'unrestricted' one sets up 'a' mode with a pure 1:1 throttle mapping, no timing retard and no butterfly restrictions. also disables injector cut and ais valve, and sets 'a' mode to be the default. other than that, it's basically stock. and frankly - with no disrespect intended towards flash-tune - it doesn't seem to be something they spent a lot of time tweaking and test riding to come up with. maybe they reserve their tweaked flashes for customers who send their ecu's in to be reflashed.

once you have a flash file, you use that as a baseline to tweak, flash, and test ride. rinse and repeat as much as necessary until you're satisfied.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have a feeling all those reflash changes would have some numeric algorithm value on the computer that would rape my brain.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Doesn't sound like that'll be the case anymore. Pretty sure they changed the pricing and you'll have to buy a license for every ECU you reflash. Kinda just like Efi-Live does for car ECU's.

I'm hoping for a bike harness. Sounds like a pain to take the tank off every time you want to tweak something.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If they don't give the "upgraded" map... that's kinda a bummer. I know personally I don't have a dyno, etc to perfect my maps... :D

·
Super Moderator
4,378 Posts
BW, congrats on making the first step for all fz-kind.

But...I do miss my Tiger 1050 when reading over all this re-flashing stuff.

For the Triumph it was the purchase of a $20 cable, download shareware TuneECU, access the map files archive and away you went.
The TuneECU software screen emulated the Triumph Factory diagnostic "dashboard" and I was able to test, measure and reset many functions remotely. A very cool tool.

A dozen, or more, free for the taking fuel maps covering most conceivable permutations for various exhaust, airbox, filter media, ignition timing/retard schemes, O2 sensor delete,
octane rating combinations, blah, blah, blah, etc. and these had been developed and endlessly tweaked by tuners and customers paying for dyno time, which they then made those maps available for free in the Tune ECU archive and/or the Tiger Forum. It was like the 1960's and Free Love. You just reached out and there was a solution at hand that someone offered to the people.

If you were so bold, you could modify those maps yourself. I tried two maps for the Triumph and it was the first that sorted it all out to my immense satisfaction. I admit it ran a touch sooty down low, but it was super smooth and strong like a mule on jet fuel.

Honestly, the thought of paying somewhere near $300/$400 even for a "tune" that gets down deep into the finer, more targeted nuances of a particular mapping need...well that makes me queasy. And let me say, I have an early stage pricing, Nick reflash and I have no problem with that product or price.

While I implied that I might be a Hippie, I'm not a Commie. Everyone has to benefit from their labors and as a content creator myself, I do understand the value of intellectual property. Let's see where this all takes us in regards to value perceived and pricing.

Good luck Bobbie, with your journey into the black arts and it will be interesting to see how the ecu tuning marketplace evolves.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I'm hoping for a bike harness. Sounds like a pain to take the tank off every time you want to tweak something.
i don't remove the tank completely, just lift it up enough to get at the ecu. i leave the fuel line and hoses connected, just undo the four bolts. it takes longer to remove the side scoops and trim pieces.

the bench harness only has 5 wires going into the ecu connector. 2 of those are for +12v and ground, the other 3 are for flashing. the ecu connector on the bike's stock wiring harness has those 3 pins either epoxied or plugged off (no wires in them), so if you could somehow get the correct contacts in there, you could extend the lines out and effectively have a bike harness.

If they don't give the "upgraded" map... that's kinda a bummer. I know personally I don't have a dyno, etc to perfect my maps... :D
i can understand why, though. it's something they normally charge people for. the fact that the settings and maps in the ecu can't be read back out works in their favor - their secret sauce remains secret so long as they keep the flash files to themselves.

you can always use a power commander to perfect the fuel maps, and use the flash-tune software to integrate the power commander maps into the flash. after flashing, you no longer need the power commander to take advantage of the perfected fuel maps since they're flashed into the ecu.

If you were so bold, you could modify those maps yourself. I tried two maps for the Triumph and it was the first that sorted it all out to my immense satisfaction. I admit it ran a touch sooty down low, but it was super smooth and strong like a mule on jet fuel.
yes, i'll probably end up richening the low load fuel maps a bit, but i'm going to tweak the throttle maps and engine braking curves to smoothen out the throttle transition as much as i can first and modify the fuelling only as a last resort.

too bad there aren't separate fuel maps for the different drive modes.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
which map file did you start with?

·
Vendor
1,529 Posts
i am about to purchase an fz09 to develop flash images and fuel maps for my flashing business, give me a few weeks and ill be able to help you out

you can search vcyclenut on facebook and you will see my page

·
Registered
23 Posts
from my post on one of my threads on flashtunes bench harness. before you read the following I should say I worked with flashtunes on my previous R6 when they were still I guess you would say prototyping in the works type of thing . they were great to work with and had a lot of good compliments on the bike set up. so of course I find out they make a unit for the fz09 I jumped on it and so heres my lil review from maby the second guy on here to use it lol

got my flashtunes bench harness today. ive been running on just a slip on and the arrestor in till I could get this. while I was at work I had my lap top and spent many hours going over the fz09 set ups and relearning the program. I eventually came up with an easy basic start point by using flashtunes base unrestricted set up that you can upload then I also uploaded the stock defaults to my computer in case I got to a place that I couldn't get back. i went ahead and dropped a generic m4 powercomander map into my program to be and couldn't wait to get home to plug it in and flash. now before all this the bike with just a m4 slip on and DNA filter(only after market i could find) was such a loss of power with out the arrestor in muffler so i put it back in till i could get this set up wich helped tremendously . sounded like crap with arrestor in it but ran better . all in all with or with out the arrestor the bikes sound was smooth and pured nicely. well this is where it gets interesting after flashing the ecu with a generic map suddenly the bike was growling like a pissed off Rottweiler . not so smooth anymore . throttle snap was throaty . so i took it for a test ride and holly smokes omg this thing became stong like an ox is the best way to describe it. ive rode crotch rockets for 25 years and i allways would use the term came alive and screamed. this is my first regular bike not to mention anything outside an inline 4. this thing became a stong ass beast she was twitching and getting a lil squirly like a 2 stroke maby like a modified rd ,rz or tz well not that much lol. but strong like an ox best describes it. and this is just the base settings to start with.

ps I heard theyre mail in ecu flashes are awesome too

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
i tough about getting the plug in kit but I worked with Nick to massage few things and the tune end up really good and functional. The EJK end up to be spot on and took good care of the AFR and still can tune on the road if need to. Decide to install/remove DBK, cold, hot Florida, high altitude. Got it all covered.

Bu if it wasn't the case I would have took the dive and get the kit. Glad it's all working good for you.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
tested out the sae (battery tender) to flash harness power jack wiring and was able to flash using the bike's battery. on the road flashing is ready to go.

i wondered if the 'neutral' throttle map was only for actual neutral gear, or if it also included being in gear with the clutch pulled in. i was fairly certain it was both, but wanted to be sure so i created a 'b' mode neutral map with all zeroes, flashed it, switched to 'b' mode, put it in gear with the clutch pulled in and turned the throttle. nothing happened - the bike stayed idling. good, the neutral maps can be tweaked to make rev matching between gears smoother/easier.

had a bit of a moment when the software crashed during flashing. powered everything off, restarted the flash and it took. ecu seemed okay.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
this thing became a stong ass beast she was twitching and getting a lil squirly like a 2 stroke maby like a modified rd ,rz or tz well not that much lol. but strong like an ox best describes it. and this is just the base settings to start with.
if you want it even wilder, highlight all the cells in the unrestricted 'a' map, click 'edit selection' and in 'enter formula', type '*1.4'. then highlight all of the cells from 71-100% throttle and set the values to 100.

instant 1/6 turn throttle.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
which map file did you start with?
i started with the stock file, but for the first flash i wanted to test a 1:1 throttle which happens to be what flash-tune's base 'unrestricted' file uses in 'a' mode so the throttle maps ended up being the same. flash-tune didn't touch 'std' or 'b' modes at all though, the throttle restrictions at 8500 and 10500rpm are still there in those modes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
thanks for sharing mr wallnuts but ile just try and stay a bit simple I'm not the brightest cookie that fell from the cookie tree but I do know enough how to stay out of trouble and those numbers my friend spell trouble for me lmfao. I havnt played with it anymore today because of thunderstorms but at least I got a chance to test out why I got handgaurds . aperently Yamaha stole my custom build idea of turning it into a flat track style bike before I thought of it . I was so like ah man that was my idea when I saw the mt09 rally so then I said ok ile go slightly off of that and do . shit there's my idea again mt09 street tracker grrr lol true story

1 - 20 of 110 Posts