Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have posted about flash tune previously, but it was all theoretical at that point. I finally bit the bullet and ordered a Termignoni titanium exhaust and FT bench kit for my bike which is a 2015 UK MT-09 with ABS. I have 0 previous experience mapping ECUs, although I do have some qualified friends that have non-FT mapping experience who are willing to help, but obviously they aren't going to know everything. The reason I didn't use a mail in flash service is because I simply don't know who is good in the UK and I didn't want the risk/cost of sending it to the US.

My goal is to make the bike run right with this exhaust, I am not worried about squeezing every last ounce of power out of it, I just want it to run correctly and to smooth out the throttle and avoid doing damage in the process.

I have some questions below, so please weigh in.

• Is the unrestricted flash from FT going to be ok to run on my bike?
  • Does the unrestricted FT map run too lean/rich?
  • Would you recommend I purchase a wideband O2 sensor and display to monitor the fuelling?
  • Am I ok to leave closed loop disabled?
  • If I leave closed loop disabled are the fuel maps ok as they are or should I tweak them?
  • Should I import a PC map?
  • Would you recommend leaving closed loop enabled and running an O2 mod like kevs?
  • How much so you think this map improve the snatchyness of the throttle?

Any feedback on the above is greatly welcomed and appreciated, as are any other recommendations or comments that you think might help. I am aware that I am a complete newbie to this, so if I ask a stupid question please forgive my ignorance.

Dave.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Nothing wrong with asking the questions but I'm afraid you jumped headlong into the deep end of the pool. I really recommend finding an accomplished tuner and working side by side - since many a dyno run is in your future. VCycleNut and perhaps others have a ECU trade-in program where you get a freshly mapped unit and can then return yours at some definition of "your leisure" - the only hangup being you probably don't want a US-spec ECU because certain features have been disabled. I expect FTune maintains a list of tuners in each country.

I found this: Find a Dealer - VeloxRacing.com - FTecu Flash-tune Rotobox Graves Motorsports Europe and FAQ - VeloxRacing.com - FTecu Flash-tune Rotobox Graves Motorsports Europe

You might want to chat up these dealerships for known tuners: Uk dealerships that do ecu flash list

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'd recommend you delve into some of the specific tuning discussions. I think a lot of those items have been discussed by those who enjoy tweaking, and who know more than I suspect either of us do.

Reactions: daveonline123

·
Registered
990 Posts
The fuel mapping needs work... Compare that unrestricted file with the OEM ECU file... and you will see that the fuel mapping they provide is not developed.

Here's the most helpful stuff that I can provide in my opinion:

The unrestricted file seems to have mapped the ignition advance well on a dyno, but they have not developed it well for a smooth low power setting. However... if you look at the XSR900 file has an ignition map, it works better in general, a little rough around 3500 rpm but the revised strategy is nice. Use the aforementioned unrestricted ignition map as a guide to not exceed it's timing advance settings that are shown in the area beyond 50% throttle. Ignition timing is very sensitive and very time consuming to develop well, so hope that helps.

If you ride with an AFR indication a lot, you will start to see what's going on, and have some patience, you can reign it in. Other than idle, steady rpm is on the MAP vs RPM maps... and a more transitional RPM is on the TPS vs RPM maps... and the accelerator pump emulating maps are a little too aggressive for a proper AFR once the rest of it is dialed in (except in neutral where it revs very quickly, leave the neutral one alone).

OK no more rambling on, let us know how you do. :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi all,

I have posted about flash tune previously, but it was all theoretical at that point. I finally bit the bullet and ordered a Termignoni titanium exhaust and FT bench kit for my bike which is a 2015 UK MT-09 with ABS. I have 0 previous experience mapping ECUs, although I do have some qualified friends that have non-FT mapping experience who are willing to help, but obviously they aren't going to know everything. The reason I didn't use a mail in flash service is because I simply don't know who is good in the UK and I didn't want the risk/cost of sending it to the US.

My goal is to make the bike run right with this exhaust, I am not worried about squeezing every last ounce of power out of it, I just want it to run correctly and to smooth out the throttle and avoid doing damage in the process.

I have some questions below, so please weigh in.

• Is the unrestricted flash from FT going to be ok to run on my bike? NO
  • Does the unrestricted FT map run too lean/rich? put it on a dyno
  • Would you recommend I purchase a wideband O2 sensor and display to monitor the fuelling? no, take it to a tuner
  • Am I ok to leave closed loop disabled? stahp
  • If I leave closed loop disabled are the fuel maps ok as they are or should I tweak them? stahp
  • Should I import a PC map? NO
  • Would you recommend leaving closed loop enabled and running an O2 mod like kevs? nooooooo
  • How much so you think this map improve the snatchyness of the throttle? lawd have mercy...

Any feedback on the above is greatly welcomed and appreciated, as are any other recommendations or comments that you think might help. I am aware that I am a complete newbie to this, so if I ask a stupid question please forgive my ignorance.

Dave.
someone sold you on something way over your head. or maybe you sold yourself. i dunno. take it to a tuner with the bench kit and have them build it on the dyno for you. you'll never get the ability to build the same quality of map yourself as a professional with the proper tools and experience and also won't accidentally blow up your bike because you put the wrong values in it. unrestricted maps are garbage.

overpriced and underdelivering is geoff at hilltop cycles however you will get a better running bike by seeing him than you can do on your own

on the flip side. do what you want. trial and error is how we learn. just know its your motorcycle that youre gambling with.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate that I have jumped in at the deep end, but I am ok with that. I am just trying to get a better understanding. I'd rather attempt to do this myself with assistance from friends than just give it to someone who will just do it. Everyone has to start somewhere and I figured **** it, I might as well just get stuck in.

I am aware there are risks involved which is why I am trying to learn by others mistakes before making some big ones myself.

Thanks for all the constructive knowledge and comments so far, keep them coming.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the harness and exhaust in my possession now, so I am likely going to fit it and flash the ECU tomorrow. Am I going to do any damage using the unrestricted flash from flashtune?

Obviously I will work from there and improve things slowly and carefully, I just want to make sure I'm not going to mangle my bike initially.

Any other tips would be appreciated.

·
Registered
990 Posts
You will be fine, it's safe... even with the stock fuel maps, you will be likely too rich most places under full power, and lean/jerky most places at low power settings. If you were here I would be more than happy to help, so find my counterpart where you are ;-)
I have the harness and exhaust in my possession now, so I am likely going to fit it and flash the ECU tomorrow. Am I going to do any damage using the unrestricted flash from flashtune?

Obviously I will work from there and improve things slowly and carefully, I just want to make sure I'm not going to mangle my bike initially.

Any other tips would be appreciated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.