Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First ride to work today The sun hasn't come up yet, and my husband and I work in the same direction and I needed to be early today, so we rode together.
He called me when we got to work and told me I've got flames coming out of my pipe. Is that a problem??

If I'm relating this correctly, seems like it's running rich? I'm also using what seems like a lot of gas too. I was at a half tank last night when we took a short ride, and this morning I'm down to the last bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
You have an aftermarket exhaust, does it have an ECU flash, or fuel controller? It sounds like poor mapping.

Ahh, I know which bike you bought...

Well, it has a PCV, but in light of other discoveries about the bike, I'd hesitate to assume it has a proper map installed. The popping could be a lean pop too. I'd verify the proper map is installed, perhaps buy block off plates, or an ECU flash, will fix the popping and flames.

The reason I hesitate to ever use a PCV, is that you really need the bike on a dyno to get a good fuel map for the bike, which I highly doubt the previous owner did.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got a good friend who has a bike shop. He's been expecting me to bring it in for a few things to be done (properly wiring the turn signals and putting the replacement master cylinder and turn signal mirrors on) but that won't be until after our vacation. I think I'll try to sneak it in on Saturday though, to see if he can check the mapping and such.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I'm with ^^^ this guy. Pull the PCV, sell it, get the ECU flashed cheap with a proper fuel map and all of the throttle improvements.

This bike is a perfect example of why I like to buy NEW, or completely bone stock used. Some folks should stay away from tools!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd like to do that, but vacation is next week and I'm taking the FZ. I'm afraid there won't be time for sending anything off and to get it back on time.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This bike is a perfect example of why I like to buy NEW, or completely bone stock used. Some folks should stay away from tools!
I agree to a point, but I do love that Yoshimura exhaust. It looks and sounds amazing!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Do you have the smog block off plates installed? From what I've read and watched on YouTube, they're supposed to fix that very problem with after market exhausts.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you have the smog block off plates installed? From what I've read and watched on YouTube, they're supposed to fix that very problem with after market exhausts.
Not that I'm aware of. Where do I look for that?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Not that I'm aware of. Where do I look for that?

right on top of the valve cover, close to where the spark plug leads go in. there will be 2 plates. If you see a bunch of thick hoses attached to the valve cover, you don't have the plates.

Reactions: MrsZR7

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Speaking of fuel related issues - I've heard different opinions on what grade motorcycles in general should be running. What is the consensus here? My husband only runs premium. I've heard elsewhere that we should use regular. I've heard all kinds of talk about how our gasoline is hard on small engines, reformulated "summer blend" is bad, etc.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Speaking of fuel related issues - I've heard different opinions on what grade motorcycles in general should be running. What is the consensus here? My husband only runs premium. I've heard elsewhere that we should use regular. I've heard all kinds of talk about how our gasoline is hard on small engines, reformulated "summer blend" is bad, etc.

All engines from the factory are tuned for a specific octane fuel based on compression ratio. Some require premium, some require standard. Using a different octane rating other than what it is tuned for is pointless and can even be detrimental. Using higher than what is recommended leads to unburned fuel remaining in the system and lower can mean running into detonation or preignition. The only time you should ever deviate from the recommended is when you are at high altitudes (in which case it's ideal to go lower), or when dealing with an old engine that has lots of carbon buildup in the cylinders (in which case you want to go higher), or if the engine has been extensively rebuilt and modified (in which case you go higher). The FZ comes tuned for premium which depending on where you live can mean anywhere from 91 to 93 octane.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I found just now in the manual that it does call for premium fuel, which I think is 97 or better.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts