Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brief background is I have my S10 for long distance and ADV riding but the weight around town and short rides can be a bit bothersome. I had the FZ09, loved the engine, tried to upgrade the suspension for my liking, but just couldn't get it dialed in. Sold the FZ and I'm wondering if the FJ is the replacement I need. I want a commuter with the occasional 200-300 mile day thrown in. I've read about the suspension changes, but unfortunately here in NY test rides are not possible. I weigh 195 with gear and I'm not looking for a repeat of the FZ. The main reason I'm considering the FJ is that amazing engine. Is the FJ a better platform?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Buying now I would get an FJ. You might prefer to get an FZ and spend five hundred bucks to get a shock, front springs, and fork valving from an FJ. If you don't want the taller bars, beefier subframe, mini fairing, traction control and ABS - then get the FZ and get the FJ suspension bits...

·
Registered
55 Posts
I test rode both but ultimately decided on the fz. The FJ rides higher with arms wider and that didn't feel right to me. Also you sit more upright with no lean. It feels wider too but that might just be a feeling. Other than that it was smoother than the fz felt like it was geared taller, less I dunno excited? But still tons of power. Weight did not bother me once I started moving. Wind protection was perfect. Suspension was much better.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
You could check with your local Yamaha dealers and see if they have any plans for a Demo Day coming up.

Yamaha does list their demo days online, but hard to say if it covers every one they have planned or not?

Yamaha Sport Events

·
Registered
315 Posts
I test rode both but ultimately decided on the fz. The FJ rides higher with arms wider and that didn't feel right to me. Also you sit more upright with no lean. It feels wider too but that might just be a feeling. Other than that it was smoother than the fz felt like it was geared taller, less I dunno excited? But still tons of power. Weight did not bother me once I started moving. Wind protection was perfect. Suspension was much better.
Same gearing on the FJ09...if you go by the tach / speedo, comparison test.
I too, did not care for the FJ bars, turned my wrists outward, also a little wider.

I think for what you re after, the FJ is a great bike.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm test riding fj-09 this weekend and probably will buy. I was able to test ride fz-09 last year and motor is great but didn't enjoy some aspects of the bike. But from what the fj-09 offers looks like it may address a lot of my concerns. I wonder if we can swap the fz-09 bars on the fj-09.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'm test riding fj-09 this weekend and probably will buy. I was able to test ride fz-09 last year and motor is great but didn't enjoy some aspects of the bike. But from what the fj-09 offers looks like it may address a lot of my concerns. I wonder if we can swap the fz-09 bars on the fj-09.
Might have a clearance issue with the hand guards, you will have to check it out.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Might have a clearance issue with the hand guards, you will have to check it out.
Yeah the guards kind of key perfectly into the fairing at full lock so you'd probably run into issues with that. I've ridden both back to back and I kinda did like the FJ better from the ride perspective I just couldn't justify the price jump and I think it looks kinda fugly from the front, just IMO

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yeah the guards kind of key perfectly into the fairing at full lock so you'd probably run into issues with that. I've ridden both back to back and I kinda did like the FJ better from the ride perspective I just couldn't justify the price jump and I think it looks kinda fugly from the front, just IMO
The hand guards are actually two pieces.
When installing a larger Madstad windshield, and brackets, you remove the pointed outer pieces.
If installing FZ09 bars, most likely, the outer "pointed" part of the hand guards, would have to be removed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
One other quick question....
We're there any significant changes to the 17 FJ09?
I can get a 15 or 16 for considerably less than a 17....better colors too?

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
One other quick question....
We're there any significant changes to the 17 FJ09?
I can get a 15 or 16 for considerably less than a 17....better colors too?
According to the Yamaha Canada website the only two things they changed for 2017 are:

KEY IMPROVEMENTS FOR 2017
New compact slipper & assist clutch
Revised traction control system (2 modes & off)

https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/details-build-price.php?model=4898&group=MC&catId=1

Personally, slipper clutch??? the only time you need it is if you are racing or if you are just terrible at down shifting.

The 2017 TCS - Traction Control can be turned off with two different traction control settings.
The 2016 TCS - Traction Control can be turned off and has one default setting only.

So I guess you have to way how much you can save on a 2015 or 2016, and compare it to the price of a 2017 and these two minor changes. I know some people say with the slipper clutch it is way easier to pull the clutch lever. Lol, the non-slipper clutch lever pull isn't like you are arm wrestling a friggin bear??? Maybe if you have wrist problems or suffer from really bad carpal tunnel or bad arthritis pain, then maybe it might make a difference. But if that is the case maybe you are better off getting a Honda with their DCT (Dual Clutch Transmission), then you don't have worry about to shift at all.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
My brother picked up a 2015 FJ-09 and he loves it and says it's the perfect do everything street bike. Which says a lot since his previous bikes included a Honda VTR 1000 RC51 SP2, Victory Hammer S, and Yamaha VMAX.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Slipper clutch doesn't mean anything to me....
I thought I read someplace about improved suspension...
A leftover 15 can be had for 2k less than a 17...not really the color I want tho

·
Registered
42 Posts
No improved suspension.
The only improve is that @fz09 now has compression damping on left fork!
Nothing for fj...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
The FJ's did have better spring rates right out of the box for the 15's on. Being sold as more of a 2-up touring machine, Yamaha upped the spring rates over the lighter springs in the FZ's.

Some of the things that cause the added curb weight are, larger tank, small fairing, stronger subframe, build-in subframe luggage mounting brackets for Yamaha saddle bags, hand guards and centre stand. It also comes pre-wired for Yamaha heated grips, 12VDC power Outlet, position adjustable handlebars, seat has 2-position height settings and adjustable windshield, to name a few things.

There is a good list of Features and Benefits on the Yamaha Canada website.

https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/details-build-price.php?model=4898&group=MC&catId=1

·
Registered
8 Posts
I live in a small city, and I use to commute in my FJ-09 even to go to the grocery store and get my milk. Here in the city I drive at "B" mode (there are 3 driving modes), and its fine. I used to have a Yamaha Tenere xt660z, and when I switched to the FJ, I missed too much the softness of the Tenere suspension. When I got the FJ, I had to adjust the suspension (front and rear), and take off some tire pressure (as per manual specs, its too high and hence, very hard).

·
Registered
341 Posts
I just want to add something regarding the slipper clutch. Having both an FZ and XSR, I thought that added feature would not interest me. However, the lighter pull has helped out a bad wrist/hand situation. With age comes the fun, so for older riders or ones with issues like my 57 yr. old body, slippers are a nice choice. I don't care about downshifting and such, just the lighter pull. I'm old. Ouch.
Cheers, G

·
Registered
734 Posts
i had a 14 fz . put 11k on it , rode it for 2 up . w top line suspension done , it worked . but now i have 2 red fjs . one home one in new mexico . way better for 2 up even w stock suspension . the bars suck . bend is not right . going to change that soon . put 5500 miles on them this year . good thin it has tc controll . it will come up .tc on it pops the front at 70

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Which one is better for "everyday riding" is totally subjective to the rider. My FZ-09 is my only bike, I don't commute on it and have had several 600-700 km days on it. I don't have a touring screen on it, or an aftermarket seat. I look forward to each and every ride, which, during the riding season is almost every day. This bike puts a smile on my face every time I ride it! I'll take it on short rides, weekend trips, and week-long trips. I would also bet that my '15 FZ-09 has more miles on it than 90% of the FJ-09's out there, so for ME, it's PERFECT for everyday riding!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts