Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reviews of the FJ are starting to hit and people are praising the suspension and throttle mapping. I wonder if the throttle map is like the new 2015 FZ map, or something even better.

I also read that the suspension components are the same, but maybe with different valving and springs. I wonder if some parts can just be swapped out to use these on the FZ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
For the forks, all I can see is a different part number for the fork springs.

FZ-09 P/N: 1RC-23141-00-00 2015 Yamaha FZ09 (FZ09FGY) Front Fork | Part Shark

FJ-09 P/N: 2PP-23141-00-00 2015 Yamaha FJ09 (FJ09FGY) Front Fork | Part Shark

And again, a different part number on the rear shock assembly, they do not show a part number for the rear shock spring.

FZ-09 P/N: 1RC-22210-50-00 2015 Yamaha FZ09 (FZ09FGY) Rear Suspension | Part Shark

FJ-09 P/N: 2PP-22210-20-00 2015 Yamaha FJ09 (FJ09FGY) Rear Suspension | Part Shark

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
with so many aftermarket options and the typical expense of yamaha parts - unless you were able to score them used - i'm not sure it would be any better than just buying aftermarket or something like a used ZX10 shock?

Plus if the suspension is better - less will replace it on the FJ leaving a small market of stock parts to grab from.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I would estimate that if you bought the FJ09 fork internals new from Yamaha they would cost as much or nearly so as good aftermarket cartridges and thus a waste of $ IMO as the aftermarket ones are that much better.

The stock FJ09 rear shock will be expensive as well. and a Penske would be a better investment for similar $.

If you just want minor improvements to the FZ09 suspension, that can be done a lot cheaper than replacing everything. Do a search as it has been discussed many times.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I want to see someone swap the forks out completely with something else.... ahaha

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'm looking at the FJ-09 as replacement of my FZ-09 that I'm currently looking at selling to a very light friend (140 lbs). If the forks and shock from the FJ will directly bolt up to the FZ I want to swap my custom built forks and rear shock from the FZ to the new FJ. Are the front forks and rear shock from the FJ able to be swapped in to a FZ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
My friend has an FJ and upgraded his suspension with a penske/traxxion combo and when I told him I had bought an FZ last year he informed me his stock FJ susp would be a cheap upgrade to my FZ. But he didn't want to part with his hdwr so he browsed the forums and found an FJ set up (fork cartridges/shock) for 100 bucks. With his 10 years of MMI instructor expertise, we installed it all in about 4hrs along with a cam chain tensioner from APE. Initial test...love it. The bike is now smooth and stable, accelerating or braking over the typical street surface as opposed to the prolonged bouncing of the stock setup. The power Ive dialed is going to the ground and the bike isn't bouncing itself off of the tires while I'm gassing it. Goin to ride tomorrow to fine tune. Thanks 2whltuner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts