Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Berkeley honda yamaha yesterday to order a 2015 yamaha wr250f and was talking to my friend Scott Dunlavey about the fj09 and he told me the first 4 he's getting is already sold and he's getting 20 or so calls a week about when he will have more. Looks like yamaha has hit another home run. RR :cool:

·
Registered
74 Posts
not shocking...its always like that sometime with new models.... The fz09 was same thing...Nowadays...they are plenty of fz09 on sale flooroom at dealers that I have been too and prices have become cheaper depending on which dealer you go to..
The early bird always pays the most and once they demand has died down, it will be cheaper and plentiful...

·
Banned
3,470 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Then I can assume it's $12,350 at mine.:rolleyes:
Here in sunny Oz the FZ-09 (here called the MT-09) retails for $11,000 + about $1000 for registration, etc. I guess the FJ - if and when it comes - will be at about $13,000 to $14,000, OTD. Which I'd find attractive subject to final specs (will that $13,000+ include hard panniers?), rider test-reports, etc.

L of S

·
Registered
341 Posts
A bit unrelated, but at the Motorcycle show (in Seattle) yesterday, nobody was breakin' down the doors on the FJ, but people were ready to buy the new Ducati Scrambler, like crazy. I really liked sitting on the new FJ myself, but mainly questions around suspension seemed to be the topic, not purchase.

·
Super Moderator
4,344 Posts
The Ducati will for sure appeal to more than just the "Hipster" crowd. Should scavenge some sales from the Bonneville. The air-cooled, two valve motor is a real winner. The Full Throttle model is pretty good looking. I'm so glad the Scrambler didn't beat the 09 to market, or I would be eating Baked Ziti instead of Sushi.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
The Ducati will for sure appeal to more than just the "Hipster" crowd. Should scavenge some sales from the Bonneville. The air-cooled, two valve motor is a real winner. The Full Throttle model is pretty good looking. I'm so glad the Scrambler didn't beat the 09 to market, or I would be eating Baked Ziti instead of Sushi.
+ 10000000000 :icon_thumright:

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
The only initial thing that is keeping me from considering the FJ-09 is no cruise control. I love my FZ-09, but my Sport Touring bike must have cruise control. So many 2015 models are putting this as standard now I really can't understand why Yamaha left this feature off.
Totally agree. That was my debate point in an other house. For someone like me that is careless about ABS and TC, $2500 more for few goodies is quite expensive. And have all those goodies and not having a CT is a deal killer if someone want this bike as a Touring bike. With the ride by wire all it need is a CT control and a software ... everything else is already there. Should at least be optional. Other than that nice bike for sure.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I believe ABS is more valuable to more people than cruise control, but TC, wasn't looking for that. Although the extra 2.5K (list) gets you more than the ABS/TC, it also covers the (hopefully) better height adjustable seat, the fairing with adjustable windscreen and LED headlights, and a center stand. As well, the instrument cluster looks to be a major improvement. All in all, not a bad value. Clearly they had to draw the line somewhere, and where ever that was, not everyone will agree. I'm disappointed that the M/C show isn't coming to Detroit this year so I can go see one of these in person before they finally show up at the dealers. I'm being told that won't happen until late January, early February. This is going to be a very long winter.

·
Registered
300 Posts
A bit unrelated, but at the Motorcycle show (in Seattle) yesterday, nobody was breakin' down the doors on the FJ, but people were ready to buy the new Ducati Scrambler, like crazy. I really liked sitting on the new FJ myself, but mainly questions around suspension seemed to be the topic, not purchase.
I was at the Seattle M C show with my son on Sunday, and saw a sixty to seventy year old woman who couldn't lift her leg over the Scamblers seat almost topple it, and her, off the raised deck to the ground. An hour later we were standing in front of the incredible new R1 as a 30ish year old Asian guy was "hanging off" (like road racing) the R1 and toppled it off the stand on top of himself. We couldn't believe what we just saw, we were dumbfounded. The mirror snapped off immediately, and I'm sure the side fairings were also damaged. Crazy.

·
Registered
150 Posts
It might have tempted me to trade if it had shaft drive. I'll keep the FZ though...
Would've liked to see cruise control too! Don't need it on the FZ but if I were to get a tourer like the FJ I'd want cruise control like the S1000R (and XR as well most likely)

Reactions: Trey Yama

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
There is a dealer in WV who will sell you an FJ for $9550 out their door (still gotta pay tax to your home state). I think that premium over the FZ is reasonable considering the extra equipment. That said, I'm very disappointed in the lack of cruise control, as well. The ECU and cluster is capable of it...they just need to add the switchgear and turn it out. Personally, I plan on waiting for a 2016 model with it enabled. It's just SOOO nice to give your wrist a break during long stints on the slab.

·
Registered
248 Posts
There is a dealer in WV who will sell you an FJ for $9550 out their door (still gotta pay tax to your home state). I think that premium over the FZ is reasonable considering the extra equipment. That said, I'm very disappointed in the lack of cruise control, as well. The ECU and cluster is capable of it...they just need to add the switchgear and turn it out. Personally, I plan on waiting for a 2016 model with it enabled. It's just SOOO nice to give your wrist a break during long stints on the slab.
I too am waiting for cruise control. Has it been confirmed that the 2016 will have cruise control?

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Finally someone who agree with me. Just bad they miss that for a $40.00 switch. That's the only thing missing to make this bike perfect touring beast.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'm thinking 3500. cash + 2014 FZ09 trade =2015 FJ09 OTD. Wishful thinking but will be interesting what the dealers counter offer will be.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Finally someone who agree with me. Just bad they miss that for a $40.00 switch. That's the only thing missing to make this bike perfect touring beast.
I've been using one of these for a few years now...works great.
Motorcycle CRUISE2 Control Throttle Lock 1 Inch BAR 25mm Fits Cruiser Bike | eBay

My biggest concern on the FJ-09 is suspension quality. I don't mind the ABS, in fact I would want it on all my bikes (Tenere-yay, FZ07-Booo!)
TC just gets turned off when I ride anyways.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts