Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

FJ-09 rear shock in FZ-09

32K views 66 replies 27 participants last post by  NorWest 
#1 ·
Has anyone tried putting the FJ-09 shock in the FZ-09 yet? The reviews of the FJ make it sound significantly better and it's not crazy expensive.

#2 ·
That is interesting, and yes the FJ's rear shock is a slightly lower price than the FZ's???? It shows a price of Raer Shock Absorber Assembly, P/N 2PP-22210-20-00, $227.97.

FJ-09 Rear Shock: 2015 Yamaha FJ09 (FJ09FGY) Rear Suspension | YamahaPartsPitstop.com

FZ-09 Rear Shock: 2015 Yamaha FZ09 (FZ09FGY) Rear Suspension | YamahaPartsPitstop.com

But it is the same part number for the Swingarm and what they call the Relay Arm.

FJ-09 Swingarm: 2015 Yamaha FJ09 (FJ09FGY) Rear Suspension | YamahaPartsPitstop.com

FZ-09 Swingarm: 2015 Yamaha FZ09 (FZ09FGY) Rear Suspension | YamahaPartsPitstop.com

It would be interesting to know what exactly is different about the two rear shocks???

#3 ·
Revzilla reviewed the FJ and included the changes to the rear shock:

The rear shock is the same unit, but Yamaha increased the compression damping by two and a half times and doubled the rebound.

I was looking at it on the FJ at the dealership and I only saw adjustments for preload and rebound, I did not see any way to adjust the compression. $240 isn't too bad though.

#5 ·
According to the FJ-09 Owner's Manual, it has the same adjustments as the stock FZ-09, spring preload & rebound damping.

Text Line art Cartoon Font Line

p.s. - once you register on the Yamaha Canada website, they let you download the Canadian Owner's Manuals for free.

#9 ·
Never ridden an fj, no. However I've completely upgraded the suspension on my FZ front and rear with a penske shock in back and I do know that compared to what you can get from a $600-ish ohlins or penske the stock unit from an fj is still bottom of the barrel. The only reason I'd ever use a "ghetto" fix like that (swapping in an oem shock from another bike as opposed to a proper performance upgrade purpose built for it) would be if I could get the shock for a hundred or less. At nearly $300? no way.

Ok..........one mans opinion.

#15 ·
Ok..........one mans opinion.
He's right Ray. All stock shocks are pretty much junk to begin with. Yes the revised FJ09 rear shock works a little better ...but you can count on it wearing out and turning to shit in a few thousand miles. The quality is just not there for consistent usage. Better off to spend the money on something that works better...lasts longer..and is fully adjustable.

#14 ·
Especially when all the other after market shocks are in the $600 to $650 for a single clicker and +$800 for a double clicker.

Yes an Ohlins single clicker for $650 is going to be a better shock, but at double the price it may be overkill for what some people need.

#17 ·
Another thing too think about here with a Ohlins or Penske is when it needs rebuilt how much is going to cost to get rebuilt. Verses a throw away shock then buying another one. I think what these guys are saying is a quality suspension is just like a quality helmet, tires riding gear not only is it nicer and comfortable it will definitely help keep you ALIVE! So the guy sporting a $800 helmet and stock suspension isn't very far off from the guy driving a $50,000 truck with retread tires. I have a Ohlins/Andreani and its way better than any stock suspension and its way better than any bike I have ever ridden.

#18 ·
Thanks for whoever pointed to the Revzilla review. Pretty close to the end of the video the guy talks about the FJ-09 rear shock and says it's better but not something he'd want to ride any distance or with a passenger on (I think he has that part wrong more weight might make it better) as it's very firm. He calls it now a very sporting ride but not great on bumpy pavement. Not at all plush. Thanks again that's what I needed to know. I think I'll look into the Penske.

#20 ·
The 711 I posted pics of had a ZX9R rear shock. My current streetfighter build, a Vfr 800, has a CBR 929 rear shock in it.
Both were upgrades to the originals.
And both have more adjustment than the originals, and more adjustment than the FZ 09. I think I paid $30 each, about 10years apart, and then a bit of time to make them work.
Neither were anywhere near as good as my Penske in the MT 09.
But would I buy an FJ 09 rear shock? No way in F. I'd rather buy a zx10 or 6 shock, and get a proper spring for my weight for the same amount of cash.
StuNva is using a shock made for a busa, and they are cheap as chips.

#23 ·
If the shock increases the ride height significantly, I would actually consider it.

And, if someone wants to do it, seriously, why not? Every cent counts to a few people. And just a small improvement could be a big deal. Constantly berating other people's choices and thoughts to push one's own views and justify their own choices by any means of argument is simply petty. There's a fine line between that and giving good advice- too many people here seem to cross it. I am just glad that there are still those who actually give good advice and help everyone out without being condescending.

I haven't had the need to change the suspension- and unlike most folks spending the $$$ here, I ride in almost every weather/road/traffic conditions possible - and I haven't found the OEM components lacking, even two-up. To me, riding is more important than going blah blah blah and beating my own drums on forums. What others do with their money, it's none of my business. If it makes them happy, I am happy for them. If 240 is all they can spend and it is an improvement for them, I will applaud them. If they want to spend 2000, good on them too. Not my money, not my bike.

YMMV.

#24 ·
Modifying bikes, cars, boats etc., is something I have been doing all my life.

I would have to say that all stock shocks, are not pretty much junk. Maybe on the low end bikes, sure. FZ09 included....sub par for sure.
Most late model sport bikes, have suspension better than the majority of riders need.
Trust me, I have spent many dollars over the years, purchasing aftermarket suspension, for a variety of bikes. Some for street bikes, but mostly for street bikes, that I raced in various classes.
In recent years, bikes have improved wildly, and track days are readily available......a much better situation than in the past, when it was either ride like a lunatic full bore on the street, or actually go out and *road race...........*which required quality suspension fully sorted.
The purchasing of aftermarkets parts, to improve bikes has been going on for decades. Often the enthusiastic riders, buy a wrong combination of "good" parts to
make improvements, and go backwards. Typically, the ignorant, purchase high end hardware, and set it up incorrectly.

Many late model bikes with stock suspension, do just fine on sporty rides with a competent rider.....we have all seen the young lions, out there tossing there bikes in the weeds, even with all the latest best hardware money can buy.

The FJ09 shock on a well ridden FZ09, would be a ok, and most likely, not be a bad experience.

#25 · (Edited)
Completely agree. This has been my experience also. Hell I raced on the 05 R6 stock suspension for a while when I first got started, and was fine with it for the most part. Got better lap times with an Ohlins setup, but there was certainly no need for nearly $3000 worth of suspension upgrades for the street. There were some good demo videos of the FZ being ridden by some pro riders who rode the crap out of a stock FZ. A vlogger (Dodge rider) said it too, a skilled rider will have no trouble handling the stock suspension and throttle.

#27 ·
Fork on the FJ-09 are better too than the FZ-09 ;-)

#28 ·
An OEM shock with 250% more compression damping and 200% more rebound damping for only $227 is going to be a hell of an improvement and probably fine for 95% of owners, if not more (once you ditch parts snobs and internet forum heroes). I've had bikes with everything from full Ohlins to those just with heavier springs and a change of oil weight. My favorite experiment was a CBR954RR with Ohlins Forks, Shock and Steering Damper setup by a reputable Ohlin's tuner. same bike, same day, with rebuilt stock components done by a very reputable shop down in Georgia and the CBR with rebuilt components was no harder to ride on the track (Mid Ohio) than the Ohlins setup. Lap times within tenths either way, effectively a wash just based on my concentration levels, traffic encountered and tire wear. On the street, with both setup for that purpose, no more or less compliance in real world conditions.

Longer lasting, not really. By the book, Ohlins want their shocks and forks torn down and fluid changed so frequently it's often more than 1x per year depending on how much mileage you accumulate on the street. Keep up that frequency of maintenance on OEM pieces which have been revalved and properly sprung, same reliability.

#30 ·
The Fj is brand new this year, if you wait it out a bit those owners may start upgrading their suspension and the stock fj shocks should be selling for $100 or less like new - nobody else is going to be buying them. It is a shame the 2010 zx10r shocks are hard to find for a decent price, if you can get one for $100 it really is a great upgrade. The bike really seems to like having the rear lifted a bit too, it makes it a bit more agile when riding through heavy traffic which is almost a necessity here in Southern California.

It's a shame there is no way to put heavier oil in the fz-09 shock, it seems like that would help quite a bit.

#31 ·
A few days back, I test rode both the FZ and FJ back/back on the same approx 15 mile back road route. I was really surprised with the improved ride quality of the FJ. After I pick up my FZ, I may try to find a cheap FJ take off shock before I spend the $ on a single clicker, which is all I really need for my riding style. Already perusing FJ classifieds.

#34 ·
I've also thought of the same. Wife's cousin purchased an fj and had good things to say about the rear suspension as far as moderate to aggressive street riding. Coming from someone that hits the track on a Duc regularly I would trust his opinion.

If I could get a used FJ shock for under 125 I'd likely roll the dice. It did snow in Ohio today so... maybe I'll just wait until late spring. So depressing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

#32 ·
ok, honestly do all of you race your FZ-09 daily, weekly or one track days? the stock rear shock is perfectly fine for daily commuting for thousands of miles. did Showa build the shock for Yamaha?
for example relating to someones opinion on mileage on a Showa stock rear shock...not on an FZ-09, but on my old '03 Buell Lightning which came stock with a Showa unit with all the standard adjustments and put 70,170 miles with absolutely no issues. was adjusted per the service and owners manual for my weight, same info.
Suspension part Shock absorber Suspension Auto part Coil spring

#33 ·
No, it's not.
The damping inside the shock is terrible. The damping inside the forks is terrible.
Change the internals so it works better.

My Vfr has a 929 rear shock in it because it's better than the Vfr shock. Both Showa units, but the CBR is better.
It also has gsxr forks to replace the standard Vfr forks. Again, both made by Showa, but the gsxr forks are much better.
But I will still get them revalved to make them perfect for me.

My MT is a supercommutard, just as important to have good handling when moving through traffic as it is for doing trackday, in my opinion.

#35 · (Edited)
#37 ·
#39 ·
I have been riding since 1983. Mono shocks are large improvement over twin springs. Some folks have posted " all stock shocks are crap and will wear out". Whereas I don't take motorcycle magazine's as gospel they have all raved about the FZ1's and the Street Triple's shocks as stellar.
Not sure where I'm going with this other than some bikes get it right out of the box. So start with a cheap bike, pour the equivalent cash into it and you have a FASTER Street Triple.

#41 ·
I have a 07 zx6r shock on the way. But I've got buyers remorse already and may just go the route of the fj shock. I go between... "I just want a very street capable machine" and "why not drop the cash and get the best of the best". I'll land somewhere in the middle. Thanks for updating this thread with some real world info.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

#48 ·
I would install the zx6r shock.

I am sure the FJ is an improvement but still garbage even with better settings.

When i received my 636 shock i purchased for 50 dollars, I grabbed them both side by side and I don't care what improvements it has, it is completely garbage.

Stay with your choice and you won't regret it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.