Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
61 - 67 of 67 Posts
I've had my stock shock revalved and sprung for my weight and it's definitely better BUT on poor or bumpy roads (where the good corners are) its pretty ordinary. I am fitting a ZX shock. Knowing what I know now, I think spending money on stock rear shock is throwing good money after bad. My 2c
Who did the revalve on the shock?

Who did the revalve on the shock?
Promecha here in Oz. Well respected here. They also rebuilt forks with new valving, springs and added compression dampening to left fork. Front is flawless.

I think it's more that I'm doing the majority of my riding at a decent speed on poor quality 'B' roads with potholes, ruts and big bumps (our roads often resemble a patchwork quilt of tarmac). The shock just doesn't cope on those roads. Not a suspension expert but I think I'd benefit from a shock with compression dampening and better rebound dampening.

Promecha here in Oz. Well respected here. They also rebuilt forks with new valving, springs and added compression dampening to left fork. Front is flawless.

I think it's more that I'm doing the majority of my riding at a decent speed on poor quality 'B' roads with potholes, ruts and big bumps (our roads often resemble a patchwork quilt of tarmac). The shock just doesn't cope on those roads. Not a suspension expert but I think I'd benefit from a shock with compression dampening and better rebound dampening.
Talk to Promecha first and tell them the issues you are having. Seeing how they did the shock for you they should offer to go back in and tweak the valving for you. While I have not ridden over there I know a few riders that say the same thing about the road conditions that do live there. Just out of curiosity have you adjusted the preload or rebound clicker? Not that you should have to but it will give them an idea on what you did to make it feel more controlled.

It sounds like chillmans roads are like ours, rough as a bulls backside. The main problem is that they'll kill a OEM style shock quicker than a quality aftermarket item.
Is that due to fluid with a lower VI or a tolerance issue inside the OEM shock? I am not familiar with the term kill a shock so my apologies there.

Wear it out, it loses damping ability, leaks etc. I think it's just component quality that's not as good as the like of WP, Ohlins and the other top shock makers.
Just my take on it, In all my years when I was working at Race Tech vary rarely did we see a issue with the shock without a tell tale sign of why it did what it did. If the seal was leaking usually the shaft was pitted or scratched or it had lost nitrogen pressure as most OEM have a cup seal and rely on the pressure inside the shock to add sealing force. Yes we have seen nitrogen leaks and sometimes it was the rubber nipple inside the reservoir cap and other times it was the schrader valve leaking. When I did some work on a Penske shock it was losing nitrogen pressure as well since the schrader valve was defective, Issues happen with all shocks not just OEM.

As far as losing damping that really depends on the fluid being used and the VI of the fluid, While steel bodies are heavier and don't look as appealing they have less expansion then aluminum so maintain the clearances better. Tighter clearances mean less blowby between the sealing ring and the ID of the body. Yes aluminum has better heat dissipation but there is not that much flow around the shock anyway as usually they are tucked up in there and away from good airflow to limit expansion. This is the aluminum vs steel debate thing and each has there advantages, Look at offroad or baja trucks and see what material they are using for the shock bodies, Now there is an application that develops some heat. On the Shock Dyno at Race Tech during the warm up cycle the temp would rise to above 400 deg f very quickly so they do get nice and hot.

Is the fit and finish of a aftermarket shock better then OEM? Sure it is as they look much better and most have better adjusters then OEM, Although some don't as the aftermarket company can completely miss the mark. I mean take a look at the recall a certain aftermarket manufacturer had to send out due to issues with their shocks.

Anyway just my take on it.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.