Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried putting the FJ-09 shock in the FZ-09 yet? The reviews of the FJ make it sound significantly better and it's not crazy expensive.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
That is interesting, and yes the FJ's rear shock is a slightly lower price than the FZ's???? It shows a price of Raer Shock Absorber Assembly, P/N 2PP-22210-20-00, $227.97.

FJ-09 Rear Shock: 2015 Yamaha FJ09 (FJ09FGY) Rear Suspension | YamahaPartsPitstop.com

FZ-09 Rear Shock: 2015 Yamaha FZ09 (FZ09FGY) Rear Suspension | YamahaPartsPitstop.com

But it is the same part number for the Swingarm and what they call the Relay Arm.

FJ-09 Swingarm: 2015 Yamaha FJ09 (FJ09FGY) Rear Suspension | YamahaPartsPitstop.com

FZ-09 Swingarm: 2015 Yamaha FZ09 (FZ09FGY) Rear Suspension | YamahaPartsPitstop.com

It would be interesting to know what exactly is different about the two rear shocks???

·
Registered
276 Posts
Revzilla reviewed the FJ and included the changes to the rear shock:

The rear shock is the same unit, but Yamaha increased the compression damping by two and a half times and doubled the rebound.

I was looking at it on the FJ at the dealership and I only saw adjustments for preload and rebound, I did not see any way to adjust the compression. $240 isn't too bad though.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Revzilla reviewed the FJ and included the changes to the rear shock:

The rear shock is the same unit, but Yamaha increased the compression damping by two and a half times and doubled the rebound.

I was looking at it on the FJ at the dealership and I only saw adjustments for preload and rebound, I did not see any way to adjust the compression. $240 isn't too bad though.
According to the FJ-09 Owner's Manual, it has the same adjustments as the stock FZ-09, spring preload & rebound damping.

fj-09-adjust.jpg

p.s. - once you register on the Yamaha Canada website, they let you download the Canadian Owner's Manuals for free.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Honestly at that price you're still better off getting a purpose built aftermarket shock for the fz, especially since the difference here is only a slight improvement.
Right on!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Honestly at that price you're still better off getting a purpose built aftermarket shock for the fz, especially since the difference here is only a slight improvement.
Not true, it is a huge improvement. The FJ09 suspension is light years ahead of the FZ09.
My guess is, you have not put any miles on an FJ09.....I have.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Not true, it is a huge improvement. The FJ09 suspension is light years ahead of the FZ09.
My guess is, you have not put any miles on an FJ09.....I have.
Never ridden an fj, no. However I've completely upgraded the suspension on my FZ front and rear with a penske shock in back and I do know that compared to what you can get from a $600-ish ohlins or penske the stock unit from an fj is still bottom of the barrel. The only reason I'd ever use a "ghetto" fix like that (swapping in an oem shock from another bike as opposed to a proper performance upgrade purpose built for it) would be if I could get the shock for a hundred or less. At nearly $300? no way.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Never ridden an fj, no. However I've completely upgraded the suspension on my FZ front and rear with a penske shock in back and I do know that compared to what you can get from a $600-ish ohlins or penske the stock unit from an fj is still bottom of the barrel. The only reason I'd ever use a "ghetto" fix like that (swapping in an oem shock from another bike as opposed to a proper performance upgrade purpose built for it) would be if I could get the shock for a hundred or less. At nearly $300? no way.

Ok..........one mans opinion.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Point is that replacing a shock with an OEM one off another bike IMO is something that should only be done if you get such a good deal on the shock that it's practically free. At nearly 300 dollars however when you compare it to the cost of an ohlins or other aftermarket performance shock which is no doubt light years beyond it, the idea of going with a "cheap fix" effectively defeats the purpose entirely. I would never pay a triple digit price tag for a replacement OEM shock off of a Japanese built bike that used cheap KYB suspension components.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Kind of an elitist attitude don't you think? 227 bucks isn't bad for people who want to get a decent shock while keeping costs low. The fJ shock is a lot better. Never thought about mounting it to the FZ. Thanks OP for bringing that up. Especially since people pay 160 to 200 for a used zx6r or 10r shock. What's 30 bucks more?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Kind of an elitist attitude don't you think? 227 bucks isn't bad for people who want to get a decent shock while keeping costs low. The fJ shock is a lot better. Never thought about mounting it to the FZ. Thanks OP for bringing that up. Especially since people pay 160 to 200 for a used zx6r or 10r shock. What's 30 bucks more?
I don't find it elitist at all. My first bike was a Suzuki sv650 that had been upgraded with a GSXR shock. It was an improvement yes but then I had the opportunity to compare it with one that had been upgraded with an elka unit that retailed for 550. The difference was so drastic that I honestly walked away feeling like I wasted the $150 I spent on my GSXR shock. The 350 or so difference between the fj shock and an a aftermarket unit from a reputable manufacturer isn't exactly chump change I know, but I can pretty much guarantee you the difference between the two would be so drastic you'd be kicking yourself for not having spent the money if you ever had the opportunity to compare them.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Sub 300 vs 800+.... for a heavier rider that just wants something more streetable, there's nothing wrong with that. NOT One bit.
Especially when all the other after market shocks are in the $600 to $650 for a single clicker and +$800 for a double clicker.

Yes an Ohlins single clicker for $650 is going to be a better shock, but at double the price it may be overkill for what some people need.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
He's right Ray. All stock shocks are pretty much junk to begin with. Yes the revised FJ09 rear shock works a little better ...but you can count on it wearing out and turning to shit in a few thousand miles. The quality is just not there for consistent usage. Better off to spend the money on something that works better...lasts longer..and is fully adjustable.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Another thing too think about here with a Ohlins or Penske is when it needs rebuilt how much is going to cost to get rebuilt. Verses a throw away shock then buying another one. I think what these guys are saying is a quality suspension is just like a quality helmet, tires riding gear not only is it nicer and comfortable it will definitely help keep you ALIVE! So the guy sporting a $800 helmet and stock suspension isn't very far off from the guy driving a $50,000 truck with retread tires. I have a Ohlins/Andreani and its way better than any stock suspension and its way better than any bike I have ever ridden.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for whoever pointed to the Revzilla review. Pretty close to the end of the video the guy talks about the FJ-09 rear shock and says it's better but not something he'd want to ride any distance or with a passenger on (I think he has that part wrong more weight might make it better) as it's very firm. He calls it now a very sporting ride but not great on bumpy pavement. Not at all plush. Thanks again that's what I needed to know. I think I'll look into the Penske.

·
Registered
651 Posts
You have to consider,also,that the oem shocks will wear out pretty quick.A quality shock will last a lot longer and can be rebuilt.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
The 711 I posted pics of had a ZX9R rear shock. My current streetfighter build, a Vfr 800, has a CBR 929 rear shock in it.
Both were upgrades to the originals.
And both have more adjustment than the originals, and more adjustment than the FZ 09. I think I paid $30 each, about 10years apart, and then a bit of time to make them work.
Neither were anywhere near as good as my Penske in the MT 09.
But would I buy an FJ 09 rear shock? No way in F. I'd rather buy a zx10 or 6 shock, and get a proper spring for my weight for the same amount of cash.
StuNva is using a shock made for a busa, and they are cheap as chips.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts