Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Yay! Not my cup of tea but the more variants of the 09 the better the market for accessories, parts, etc.

Skimming over it I didn't see a mention of tank capacity, but surely it is at least a gallon more than the FZ, I hope it is mount/underside compatible with the FZ, but even if it is it will take some work to make that tank look ok on an FZ lol.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I like it, but not nearly as much as the FZ-09. :cool:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yay! Not my cup of tea but the more variants of the 09 the better the market for accessories, parts, etc.

Skimming over it I didn't see a mention of tank capacity, but surely it is at least a gallon more than the FZ, I hope it is mount/underside compatible with the FZ, but even if it is it will take some work to make that tank look ok on an FZ lol.
Ya, I'm sure it will carry at least an extra gallon of fuel. I'm sure quite a few FZ riders would make that tank work for them if the mounts were compatible.

·
Registered
311 Posts
As far as performance, I’d expect the motor to be a bit neutered on top for more low and midrange torque, as well as have smoother fueling and maybe even better fuel economy.
I'm not sure what the author of the article is talking about, the engine is already all bottom/midrange... Doesn't sound like he knows much about the bike and just halfassed the article and wrote something that in other cases might sound accurate. Any more low end torque out of this platform and you might as well market it as a unicycle.

As for the seat, unfortunately it'd take quite a bit of work, the subframe is noticeably longer and certainly has a different layout internally, not to mention completely different anchor points and latch mechanism. I'm sure it can be done, but with considerably more work and expense than getting a quality aftermarket seat.

Reactions: RichBaker

·
Registered
290 Posts
I really like it! If they add ABS and Cruise Control I will be trading in the FZ next season. With one more gallon of gas and air intakes that actually allow air into the engine is a very nice change. Looks like the gas tank will go plastic to allow the increase capacity and reduce some of the add-on weight it will certainly gain.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Now...how do we get a hold of that separate rider and pillion seat, and can we retrofit it to the 09...
subframe is a little longer in those pics. Swap subframe and get that nice seat setup on the FZ!... may need to extend some wiring as well. Would be a great upgrade though!

·
Registered
47 Posts
That's the bike ill be waiting for when they start taking orders ill be first in line. The FZ is great but the FJ suits my type of riding.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I expect a dakkar related team announcement and reveal once the official release happens. An 850 blue version with big clearance and big fuel capacity.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Looks more like an XTZ with a low pipe than an FJ - but I'm still glad to see it. I won't trade my FZ for it - thought the bigger tank would be nice.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I think my dad just found his next bike.

EDIT: What I mean is that my dad took my bike for a spin a few times and really really liked it. He wanted something that more or less rode the same and made the same power but had a stronger touring focus, with a bigger tank, massive front fairing, and higher bars. Looks like Santa heard his request.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I wonder if they'll adapt the 07 for something as well. I just sold my Versys to get the 09, so tell Yamaha to stop teasin' me. When I sat on the 07, I had a brief moment of indecision, so I sat on the 09 quickly to keep me focused. Jeez! I need help...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wonder if they'll adapt the 07 for something as well. I just sold my Versys to get the 09, so tell Yamaha to stop teasin' me. When I sat on the 07, I had a brief moment of indecision, so I sat on the 09 quickly to keep me focused. Jeez! I need help...
I loved my Versys, kind of a big heavy SuperMoto. Here's what I'm hoping for on a variation of the FZ-07, except with 17 inch cast wheels front and rear. With no re-tuning of that awesome engine, and 420lb. wet weight, if so, count me in.

010_yamaha-xtz-700[1].jpg

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
It will not have a plastic fuel tank... Not with all of the ethanol in the world. Yamaha doesn't want to cover those warranty claims. I assure you, it will be metal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Very good chance I'll be in line to get one of these also. Love my FJR and it is a keeper but adding an FJR lite would be perfect for around town and back road blasts. Maybe even do some longer distance stuff depending on fuel range.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts