Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Yamaha has just announced the FJ-09 coming to the USA I was wondering how many current FZ riders will be tempted to make the move. It will have ABS, traction control, adjustable seat and handlebars, hand guards, adjustable suspension, fairing, and adjustable windscreen. It will have hard luggage and top case available.

So how about it? Anyone going to make the change?

·
Registered
957 Posts
At the end of the day it's a sport tourer as opposed to a hooligan machine. As lovely as the triple motor is, I don't think the FZ would have been anyone's first choice who was planning on doing any real touring.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I am a maybe. I like the bike. And in fact, I did get the FZ for touring- have been touring on light nakeds all my life- paved or unpaved. Looking at the FJ mainly for the pillion comfort that it will provide- and the taller seat will surely be welcome for me too. But as Steve said, would probably lose some money which is something to think about...but I am more concerned about whether it has lost its nimbleness in an urban environment.

·
Registered
377 Posts
It's a nice bike but it's crippled with that damn suspension. (yamaha for 2k you should have upgraded it)

I'm keeping my FZ, just got her the way I like her! (new seat ships this week, hopefully)

also I don't like ABS on a bike.

jaz

·
Registered
377 Posts
At the end of the day it's a sport tourer as opposed to a hooligan machine. As lovely as the triple motor is, I don't think the FZ would have been anyone's first choice who was planning on doing any real touring.
why? at 70, 80, 90, no vibes, great power good fuel milage. What's not to like?

·
Registered
957 Posts
why? at 70, 80, 90, no vibes, great power good fuel milage. What's not to like?
Fuel range (any respectable sport tourer needs to be able to go 200+ miles on a tank), wind protection, luggage options, and the fact that there's a reason touring bikes have longer wheelbases.

·
Registered
584 Posts
already have one... based on the Fz09... it's a fantastic "touring" bike. switch back and forth easily

Reactions: MaxTorque09

·
Banned
3,470 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Fuel range (any respectable sport tourer needs to be able to go 200+ miles on a tank), wind protection, luggage options, and the fact that there's a reason touring bikes have longer wheelbases.
I'll agree wholeheartedly on fuel, but I hate luggage and fairings (have previously removed it from my goldwing and my CX 500) this bike is rock stable at high speed freeway stuff. i just don't see the need for a super heavy bloated ST. Others want them, go get it. Me? a large Drybag strapped to my luggage rack and I'm good.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
The FZ is great because one can put racks and side brackets if they want. Or take them all off and have the roadster again.
Switching back and forth on the FZ is the best thing about it IMO. The OEM rack comes off in under 5 minutes. Top case can go on and off in a few seconds. Flyscreens are fine enough to take our windblast from chest which I dont mind in any case.
The FJ is definitely going to lose out some of the versatility but will definitely give back in some comfort and farkles from the factory. I am sure the suspension has been retuned to compensate for the extra weight- and will be fine for my weight just as the FZ is.

·
Registered
833 Posts
no, my touring is less than 200 miles in a day.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I'm tempted... but in this case, for me, less is more.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Would you give up the 636 for this new one...???
Nah. The 636 is too sweet. Handles like a dream, and just screams aggressive. Ill keep until my joints won't allow it anymore haha. But I would like to have a fj-09 over a Versys or Vstrom. For sure!

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
is it true the FJ will share the same suspension platform as the FZ? If so - that is completely mind blowing given the added weight...

1 - 20 of 88 Posts