Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I goosed it in 1st and of course the front came right of the ground...........AWSOME POWER! I did in fact bust my twig and berries off the bike on the short ride down lol. I'm not some kind of idiot trying to wheelie in every gear. I would like to have some advice on how to wheelie properly, without immediate damage to you crotch. Any advice and suggestions would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I goosed it in 1st and of course the front came right of the ground...........AWSOME POWER! I did in fact bust my twig and berries off the bike on the short ride down lol. I'm not some kind of idiot trying to wheelie in every gear. I would like to have some advice on how to wheelie properly, without immediate damage to you crotch. Any advice and suggestions would be most appreciated.
Oh, behave. dr evil.jpg

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
never had the nut smash problem...I sit kind of far back though. as for advice...take it easy and practice slowly...meaning dont go for it big time at 1st. Little wheelies in 1st and 2nd...also, B mode should give you more cushion for being ham fisted. Good luck, enjoy! I am a hopeless wheelie addict

·
Registered
111 Posts
For me it is all about where I look.

As a young kid I could wheel stand my push bike as far as I liked, I grew up in Bondi Beach and I could do the length of the beach then turn around and and do the length again.

I would lock my eyes onto a object, that might be a tree, a car or a light pole, whatever caught my eye and as far away as possible, when I got close to that first object I would then adjust my eyes to a new object, I found when I got close to the first object the front wheel would start to fall and I would need to pedal harder to get the front wheel back up, so by adjusting where I looked and what I locked onto with my eyes my wheel stands were endless.

I started on dirt bikes at the age of 9 and of course wheel stands was my thing, I would stand on the pegs, squeeze the seat with my legs, lock my eyes and roll on the throttle, I got the same result on my dirt bike as I did on my push bike, it is all about where I look.

Don't think I was perfect and got it right every time, my bikes got quite a few scrapes and I received a broken leg for my trouble.

You need to start with lower power wheelies, build on your throttle control and balance and if you chop the throttle or apply the rear brake too quick the hard landing could cause a tank slapper and on the FZ/MT you wil hit your family jewels on the tank.

Give it a go but only in safe conditions, you don't want to be a accident or cause one.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Cover the back brake, don't panic, practice in a controlled enviornment like an abandoned parking lot, ease off the throttle instead of dropping it.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I was trying to pop the front wheel up this afternoon in 2nd at around 25mph in STD mode. I just kept jabbing on the gas and letting the forks get fully unsprung, then I tried just a little more twist and the front popped up about 5" or so. I'm probably only using about 1/3rd of a twist total.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
On the 09 in 2nd you don't need to mess with fork assist, just give it more gas. If you are simply trying to accelerate hard it will come up.

·
Registered
612 Posts
On the 09 in 2nd you don't need to mess with fork assist, just give it more gas. If you are simply trying to accelerate hard it will come up.
I'm not letting the forks assist me, I'm just judging how much throttle I need by how much the forks unload.. As a wheelie newb I don't want to go too far too fast, I think lifting the front to the balance point accidentally would feel horrifying!

·
Registered
111 Posts
In Sydney Australia we have this place for those that want learn without damage to them or their bike.

Wheelie Zone

I have only seen the web site not the bikes in person.

·
Registered
206 Posts
At sea level, this thing will roll over in 2nd on power alone. And you don't have to twist it very hard..:)
oddly at 4500 feet, it doesn't wheelie in 2nd....first is still good... who knew! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Keep your arms and hands light keep the front end straight. If it doesn't go up like you want, here is what I do, get you a orange and start peeling it with your hand. I use the same method to just peel the throttle back for the desired results, I can hit the redline in first or actually ride it a while without any real gas just by "peeling" it. Since first gear breaks most speed limits, I really don't do a whole lot of axons gear unless on an on ramp
Just me tho.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I always like to pop the front wheel up half of the times whenever I get the chance.

I roll on to 20mph, roll off slightly for half a second, then twist of the wrist and she will pop up slow and smoothly. As far as I'm concerned this has always been the safest way.

Sent from my RM-877_nam_att_205 using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts