Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,672 Posts
If an organization is worth it's weight in salt, you would be in the Novice group on your first day......unless you show up with a nationally recognized race organization expert race license.....TRUST ME ON THIS! You obviously don't have a clue about doing track days, as you have said that you have never done one. There is a lot of things to learn about being on the track with 30, 40, maybe 50 other riders out there. Track etiquette and rules, learning and knowing what every single one of the flags mean and what you are suppose to do when you see one flying, learning the track itself. Being "fast" out on the track will get you no where with most track day organizations if you aren't smooth, consistent with your lines, and totally predictable while out there. Anyone can twist a throttle on the straight sections of the track, but when you can hit the same race line within a few inches or maybe a foot or two, every single lap, time after time and be smooth and predictable with it, you will get moved up to a faster group. I ride a 600RR on the track when I coach and pretty much anyone that can twist a throttle is going to pull away from me on a straightaway because of the difference in H.P., but about 99% of the time, I'm right back on them when we get into the corners, or I'll out brake them into the corner all the way to the apex. As I said, you've got a lot to learn and by the sound of your comments, it ain't going to be an easy journey. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I would LOVE to go to a track day with you. Unfortunately we wouldn't be able to ride together because you know, rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MaxTorque09

·
Registered
475 Posts
Track-day face-off! Sounds awesome! :laughing4:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I was informed i was moved up not because the coach couldnt catch us but because i was consistant and respectful of other riders. In beginner group you are not allowed to pass but i did it in turn 5 and in the straight all day, i just gave the other riders space without being aggressive and held true to my line. The riders that are too aggressive and unsafe are bumped back down or asked off the track. Hopefully im going back this coming weekend, i need my fix badly.

·
Vendor
870 Posts
Hmm, NC Bike. maybe I will take a break from fork builds and dust off the SMR.
It's been a while since I listened to the rider's meeting but AFAIK passing in Novice is fine just as long as it's done on the straights, or in exceptional circumstances (overtaking speed delta is just too high) on the outside with *generous* room.

The coaches can catch anyone even if they have a mis-firing engine and the target in question is half a lap ahead.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
The coaches are definitely ridiculously fast, and yes I was passing on the outside with at least 6 ft between me and the other rider. I do remember hearing we could pass in the straight but everything else is limited to red and above IIRC.
Right now it is a toss up between going to the track or going to get my own track suit this weekend. I need my own leathers, renting gets costly quick. It would be awesome to ride with someone with some knowledge though, always looking to improve.

·
Super Moderator
5,672 Posts
Passing rules usually vary from one track day organization to another. For example, with STT, in Novice, you can pass on the straightaways and in a corner. If passing in a corner, it MUST be an outside pass, AND you have a 6' minimum distance for passing..........ANYWHERE on the track. Our definition of an inside pass is that if the person in front of you has started to tip the bike in, then you may NOT pass them on the inside. There is no quicker way to get yourself booted from the day than to inside pass in Novice. We will warn you one time, and then if you are caught inside passing the second time, your sticker comes off the bike and your day is done. Safety is the primary concern at all STT events.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I just missed the STT track day at Nola motorsports. Selling my suit because it's way too tight to lean off the bike. It restricts me too much to feel comfortable on the track.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Passing rules usually vary from one track day organization to another. For example, with STT, in Novice, you can pass on the straightaways and in a corner. If passing in a corner, it MUST be an outside pass, AND you have a 6' minimum distance for passing..........ANYWHERE on the track. Our definition of an inside pass is that if the person in front of you has started to tip the bike in, then you may NOT pass them on the inside. There is no quicker way to get yourself booted from the day than to inside pass in Novice. We will warn you one time, and then if you are caught inside passing the second time, your sticker comes off the bike and your day is done. Safety is the primary concern at all STT events.
I'm very glad to hear this. I've been riding track since 2002 and have been in the advanced/racer group since late 2003. I've never done a track day in the US and one thought I always have is what group would I be in. I would certainly need to start in Novice (or possibly Intermediate with a coach for the first few sessions) since I wouldn't know the track layout. Being able to pass in the corners in Novice makes me happy, and a lot less apprehensive about tracking in the US. I know there are a lot more fast riders that attend track days in the US because of the larger racing scene, so I certainly wouldn't expect to get into the fast group any time soon (even though I run amateur race pace up here). No ego, it's the only way to learn.

·
Super Moderator
5,672 Posts
Dave, if you have a current and recognized expert license, you wouldn't have to start in Novice. I could give you a little tour of the track and show you the lines...... or you could grab one of the Advanced coaches and have them do the same thing if I'm tied up with something else. Look forward to seeing you at one of our events next year.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I don't actually race, so I don't have a license. I'm okay starting out in Novice to learn the track. Knowing that I can pass on the outside is perfectly fine. If I can't catch the hamfisted litre bikes on the brakes I'll just float around them on the outside :) I'll definitely be taking advantage of your (or another coach's) knowledge when we're there, thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,672 Posts
Sounds good Dave! If it's at Barber, I've probably got over 8000 miles on that track alone........I'd be honored to show you around.

Reactions: doozerdave

·
Registered
408 Posts
Thanks for the review and pics. Serrison. STT is going to be @CarolinaMotorsport in Kershaw, South Carolina on 10/10/15. 155.00 for one day or 310 for weekend. This track is kinda in your neck of the woods. I signed up in the spring and had a blast.

Even though coaches preach safety we still had riders who low sided, ran off the track and one minor collision.

If I can sort things out at work I'll sign up again.

·
Super Moderator
5,672 Posts
Thanks for the review and pics. Serrison. STT is going to be @CarolinaMotorsport in Kershaw, South Carolina on 10/10/15. 155.00 for one day or 310 for weekend. This track is kinda in your neck of the woods. I signed up in the spring and had a blast.

Even though coaches preach safety we still had riders who low sided, ran off the track and one minor collision.

If I can sort things out at work I'll sign up again.
Yea, we can preach it and preach it...... but we can't ride their bikes for 'em.

Reactions: Serrison and Camp49

·
Super Moderator
5,672 Posts
I showed Michelle a race clip from Barber (I love the look of the turn 2-3-4 chute) and her response was "Wo, cool!".

2-3-4 is awesome! I crashed in 3 back in 2010 and hated that section....... until I did the Jason DiSalvo Speed Academy a couple of years ago. It's probably the most critical section of track that pays dividends for being smooth on the throttle. Roll it on too hard and you lighten the front end and lowside. Roll off the throttle a bit too much and overload the front end.... you lowside. Get it just right...... You're a Rock Star!

Reactions: doozerdave
21 - 38 of 38 Posts