Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, my first ever track day was with Team Promotion at NC Bike today. All I can say about the entire event is that it was too much fun to be legal. I went in as a beginner in the ART Class and after a few laps the coaches let me lead and helped me improve. My starting coach Steve was an awesome guy and was insanely fast around the track, and he was particularly proud of me when I jumped up a few groups to RED group on my first track day.

They decided to move me up because I asked a coach named Julian who is an amazing rider and coach to follow me to give pointers and help me improve, in my absentminded-ness I left my license plate on during the track day. On the last lap I had a flag come up and a track worker pointing at me, not knowing what it meant I continued down the track with Julian ahead of me tapping his tail telling me to follow. Turns out another coach was trying to catch us to tell me that my license plate had come loose and was only hanging on by one nut and a caution flag had been raised for me. When we finally got pulled over the second trainer told Julian that he had been trying to catch us and that there was no reason to be in WHITE group or the beginner class.

I can not even express how much fun I had and can see how much wrong I have been doing by trying to ride hard on back roads. Needless to say this is the first of many track days to come. The manager of team promotion, Glenn, was worried about my bike in the beginning because I had the ZX6 rear shock on the back making it stiff but the front was soft because I had not gotten to it yet. During tech they told me it was probably unsafe and I probably would have trouble on the track. He was especially surprised when he met us under the tent to bump me up.
05220_WhiteGroup.jpg
05421_WhiteGroup.jpg
07503_WhiteGroup.jpg
07639_WhiteGroup.jpg
08961_WhiteGroup.jpg

·
Registered
987 Posts
Congrats, welcome to your new addiction! I used to coach/control rider for them, they're a great track day group!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This was the only guy to pass me all day, it was my first time around the track and the coach leading me. After the coach set me free this guy would get me in the straight and I would come back in the corners. Really cool guy on a new CBR1000. Going to upload a video of my friend going around the track on his 04 CBR600 with my GoPro. I got a video of me going around with the coaches but decided to take the GoPro off when they set me free, I feel like it makes me try to show off a little bit and didn't want to make a mistake because of it. However, for September 13th i'm getting prepared by trying to fab up a bracket to attach the GoPro to one of the passenger pegs so it's not in my way on the bars or tank.

From what I heard afterward beginner class is not supposed to pass, but I never heard anything from the coaches that saw me do it.

05140_WhiteGroup.jpg

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I want to go to a track day soon but am afraid it's going to be too regulated for me. It's my first time on a track, but I am quick and know I would be one of the top guys in the group. Great pic buddy, glad you had fun.

·
Vendor
870 Posts
not to burst your bubble but there is a BIG step up from Red to Blue. But congrats on a successful outing.

Pull the shock and have it properly serviced, rebuilt, and resprung to match the FZ's linkage rate. The forks are cartridge already, just very poorly done. The 'dead' leg can be activated with a rod end and 2 pistons and some shims. I'm making the rod end in the next couple days. And I have a decent collection of Showa and Kayaba pistons (plus I make my own) since I do a fair number of fork upgrades.

·
Super Moderator
5,619 Posts
Congrats on your first T.D. TPM and the company I work for, Sportbike Track Time, sometimes do shared events. Good to see that you made it through your first one AND came home with a shiny bike. That's what we call a "Track day winner". Welcome to the addiction! :cool:

·
Vendor
870 Posts
I want to go to a track day soon but am afraid it's going to be too regulated for me. It's my first time on a track, but I am quick and know I would be one of the top guys in the group. Great pic buddy, glad you had fun.
eh? If you're really such hot stuff any organization worth a damn will bump you by lunch into the correct group. It'll take 2 sessions minimum to have any kind of familiarity with the track layout anyway. And when going "slow" is the best time to experiment with sight lines, study and memorize notable surface changes, and work on body position and relaxation.

I've been in the Red group for a few years and though technically I could go Blue (licensed racer) and have gotten quite a few comments regarding how smooth I am in and out of corners with good speed, there are plenty of guys who are faster than me in the same session where I feel positively outclassed and I'm not talking about straight-line speed.

So give it a shot. You might surprise yourself - in either direction.

·
Registered
120 Posts
race tech springs and valve emulators is what you should get
IMO stay away from the Race Tech springs for the FZ-09 as they have issues such as rubbing (Race Tech springs are 40mm longer and smaller in OD then OEM and that is causing the issues). Get the springs from Sonic as they are the same measurements as the OEM spring and do not have the issues the RT springs have on the FZ-09.

Emulators are for damping rods so that would not apply to the FZ-09, Options include revalving the OEM valves, Race Tech Gold Valves or GP Suspension Valves as far as valving kits for the stock cartridge.

Terry

·
Super Moderator
5,619 Posts
Really? Trust me, you will not be as fast as you think you are....AND.....there will be more to learn than you can wrap your head around on day one........that is if the track day organization is worth anything.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Lol.. Knew it was only a matter of time. I'm not disagreeing, but you don't know until you see someone in person. Lets just say I have no issues giving s1000rr riders who are seasoned and who have been to many track days, a run for their money going up our local mountain. But yea, telling people they aren't as good as they think they are always makes me feel good too. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
870 Posts
Just because you're willing to assume elevated risk on a public, mountain road you happen to be very familiar with doesn't mean you're fast. But by all means, make us eat crow and pee our pants with fear as you regale us with stories and on-board videos of conquest. Just don't take it too personal when a track coach makes you look like a little girl on a tricycle. ;-)

We're poking fun because everyone here who at some point thought they were fast was quickly disabused of the notion. Or they're no longer here, having signed with the AMA.

·
Super Moderator
5,619 Posts
520FZ09 wrote:
Lol.. Knew it was only a matter of time. I'm not disagreeing, but you don't know until you see someone in person. Lets just say I have no issues giving s1000rr riders who are seasoned and who have been to many track days, a run for their money going up our local mountain. But yea, telling people they aren't as good as they think they are always makes me feel good too. Lol

I did my first track day in 2005.......I had been riding for 34 years at that point in time. I went to the track hoping to learn some things, but I also went thinking....I'm a pretty good rider. Before lunch time on the first day, I soon realized that I was indeed a Novice rider with so much to learn that it was overwhelming. The key to becoming faster, safer, and a better rider though, is to open your mind to suggestions and learn from folks that ARE really fast and know exactly what they are talking about. It sounds like you've already got your mind made up that you are fast, just because you can give a couple of guys on a Beemer liter bike a run for their money! I thought I was pretty fast too........well, at least until lunch time the first day!

One bit of advice, if you do decide to do a T.D.........check your ego at the gate.......no one there is interested in hearing about it or have you tell them how fast you are on the "mountain".

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Wow. Lol... Unreal.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Only way to prove it is to do it I guess... Time for a track day.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Just because you're willing to assume elevated risk on a public, mountain road you happen to be very familiar with doesn't mean you're fast. But by all means, make us eat crow and pee our pants with fear as you regale us with stories and on-board videos of conquest. Just don't take it too personal when a track coach makes you look like a little girl on a tricycle. ;-)

We're poking fun because everyone here who at some point thought they were fast was quickly disabused of the notion. Or they're no longer here, having signed with the AMA.
Well I mean, I would be more familiar with a track after a day and I would ride even harder knowing there is reduced risk. But again, I'm just a young guy that doesn't know jack.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
All I can say is that I would not be in a beginner group lol. Trust me on this. Agree to disagree and let's move on.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts