Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Image link (4 pictures)

The top speed data is definitely off, I'm fairly certain that the actual top I hit was 146.925, according to the average top speed calculated through all the laps.

I was running the short course at the Les Schwab Road Course in Spokane, WA[1] . It's a tight circuit with one drag straight and one back straight with some nice elevation changes (wheelies!). Two hairpin corners and one fantastic decreasing radius in front of the pits.

Fastest lap ran at 1:50.7 in session 5 on lap 5. The control group said my body positioning, race lines and speeds were improvely quickly out there.
I had a blast and I'm looking forward to my next track day!

--Action photos of actual track sessions coming in 1-2 weeks. :D

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Seems the Rapid Red is at least 10% faster than the other two. So what else is new.....???

Reactions: ridethepiggy

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Yep, the track is addicting.

How was your top speed measured? Have you done something to increase your 09's top speed? Your link shows a top speed of 187?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was using the Pirelli Diablo SuperBiker app.

Pretty sure that the top speed spikes per lap time were off, I aggregated the data from all the laps and it seems to have a consistent top speed around 138mph, which makes more sense. According to what I pulled, the actual top would have been 146mph from drafting my buddy on his GSXR-1000 (I did get to pass him on the straight eventually!).

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The FZ09 drew a lot of attention out there. Had several guys wondering how it'd fare and thought it looked awesome on the track.

My buddy on the GSXR1k said it looked like I was dancing with the bike from my lean angles. I'm still a tiny bit crossed up but the control rider watching me said it may be the ergos on the 9er. The bar and seating position make it a bit difficult to really move your body off the bike and pull your shoulders away.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Welcome to the addiction and be prepared to start a career in crime....to pay for it. Seriously, don't concern yourself with any top speed numbers. Work on body position, learning the track, brake markers, lines, being smooth and predictable. Remember this in the order written, as you are approaching a corner....body, brake, shift, look, lean, and believe.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Absolutely.

The app was running because it was my first day and I wanted an idea of how I was doing. I probably won't bother with future track days.

Also, I was running the stock tires and they didn't communicate that well so I was definitely focusing on proper positioning and lines for my learning. I had a few peg scrape moments and it's a bit unnerving. I also could feel myself looking further into corners as my sessions went on. Towards the end, I felt like I was hitting the sweet spots with my head and shoulders. Felt really good. Relaxed and looking where I wanted to go.

Reactions: triplethreat

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Awesome man! Sounds like you were doing well and most importantly, having fun!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For sure, I'm stoked to be tracking my 9er. Most people say riding a motorcycle is good therapy, riding the track is even better. It just melts the world away.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I hear you....I do that about 18 times a year. Little Talladega this weekend for two days.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm way outta shape, there's no way I could do two track days in a row!

Reactions: daltmeyer
1 - 13 of 13 Posts