Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

First track day with some friends

3K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  buck 
#1 · (Edited)
They said the track would be addictive and unforgettable - they were right. I learned a lot and know there is so much more to this skill. Loving my new suspension goodies too. :D

Q3's at 28F / 27R (cold)

See less See more
#3 ·
It all depends on the track organizer. Best to look at their website to figure out what the requirements are. Most of the time its just painters tape on the headlight and a mechanically sound motorcycle.

just make sure you have all the crash protection gear on your bike and go have fun. Be patient, learn the racing lines and speed will gradually follow. If you try to ride aggressively right away your setting yourself up for trouble.

#7 ·
Thanks MaxTq !

Davinci.... Very nice and glad you had a good time...... They can, and usually are addictive, you've been warned! Just a quick pointer, get your foot position squared away. You should be riding with the ball of your feet on the pegs and not have your the front part of it hanging down, as in your picture. As your lean angle increases, if your foot isn't up on the peg where it should be, and your toe catches, there is a very good chance that you will go down... AND suffer multiple bones being broken in that foot, along with tendon and ligament damage.
Thank's Vern ! All tips are appreciated :) I quickly learned about exactly this issue as I did have some minor foot to ground contact coming around turn 2. Luckily nothing caught, but it unsettled me and took me a moment to gain composure. Placing your foot a little farther out on the peg should give more room for your heal to pivot in, while your leg, knee and hips turn out (correct?) but I had it out a few toes too far - way below the feeler in these shots ! :eek:

I look stiff as a board in most other shots as we were focusing on the race line / apexes.

#6 ·
Davinci.... Very nice and glad you had a good time...... They can, and usually are addictive, you've been warned! Just a quick pointer, get your foot position squared away. You should be riding with the ball of your feet on the pegs and not have your the front part of it hanging down, as in your picture. As your lean angle increases, if your foot isn't up on the peg where it should be, and your toe catches, there is a very good chance that you will go down... AND suffer multiple bones being broken in that foot, along with tendon and ligament damage.

#10 ·
Yep ! Thunderbolt track.

#13 ·
Nice pictures!

#15 ·
Q3's seem to be a popular tire. For you guys who like sticky tires for street/track use - don't rule out the Pirelli's, the Diablo Rosso Corsa is a great tire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.