Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
Batmobile
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just signed up for my first track day at Carolina Motorsports Park, thanks to camp49 I signed up with N2 track days. I'm looking for some advice before I get going from some of the guys who have some time on track. I have all my gear, but when it comes to setting up the bike I'm an idiot.

Also if anyone else in the area wants to join me they still have a bunch of spots open. Honestly, I'll probably get addicted to this and spend my weekends travelling spending money I don't have....

·
Registered
Batmobile
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You seriously came to mind when I realized where CMP is. It was only $180 and it's on a Friday. Sign up at n2td.org. Maybe @Camp49 will come show us how it's done.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,972 Posts
Honestly, I wouldn’t even worry about setup at this point. Keep the settings where you keep them for normal sporty riding, and make sure you check your tire pressure. You might even run a couple pounds less than you run on the street.

Being your first time, you’re going to be amped up and nervous. Try to let go of that. Treat this like you’re just going on a nice ride in the canyons with your buddies. Ride at your own pace, and build up your speed gradually as you figure out the track. You’re not going to break any lap records, and trust me, you’ll have plenty more chances for that because you’ll get hooked.

As for other riders on the track, don’t worry about them. Just be predictable in your line, so anyone faster than you can easily get by.

Be SMOOOOOTH. And BREEEEAAATHE.

Off the track, stay in the shade. Drink PLENTY of water. In fact, start hydrating several days beforehand, if it’s not already your normal routine.

And just have fun!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Hey Dave, I wish I was a track day junky. I've been lucky enough to ride CMP twice and Roebling Road ounce. All track days have been on the FZ. I know your not a fan of trailering your bike but I would for a track day. You can bring tools, chair, food, water, change of clothes, shade and if you do go down you'll have a way to get your bike home. U Haul rents a motorcycle trailer for 35.00 a day.

I'd say a track day is the best way to learn what you and your bike is capable of. You don't have to worry about anything road wise other than learning what the rider coach is teaching you and applying that to your style and bike. ( ride your own ride) If you ask the coach they will ride behind and give advice after every session. Oh yeah, there is ricky racer who will ride at 100% of their capability even in the novice class. I've seen low sides in every track day I've been too and you see riders off the track all the time.

Also everyone I've met at track days are very cool. They've let me borrow what ever I need to pass inspection or quick to give advice on suspension, air pressure, chain tension, etc. N2 wants you to run distilled water in your radiator, tape anything that could shatter and I would take off anything like mirrors, cell phone holders, or those kick ass lights you have. You will need decent tread on your tires and don't be surprised if you're buying new ones at the end of your track day.

I'll check to see if I can get those dates off and if I do I can pick you and your bike up in Columbia with the U Haul and head over to CMP. Also would be very cool to get as many FZ.org forum members as possible to meet us there. There is camping with showers and bathrooms. Inspection started at 7am and the sessions started at 8am. So experienced track day riders get to the track the night before.

CMP use to have cart racers you could rent. Not sure if they are renting in these times, but would give my left nut to ride on a cart racer.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Hey Dave, I wish I was a track day junky. I've been lucky enough to ride CMP twice and Roebling Road ounce. All track days have been on the FZ. I know your not a fan of trailering your bike but I would for a track day. You can bring tools, chair, food, water, change of clothes, shade and if you do go down you'll have a way to get your bike home. U Haul rents a motorcycle trailer for 35.00 a day.

I'd say a track day is the best way to learn what you and your bike is capable of. You don't have to worry about anything road wise other than learning what the rider coach is teaching you and applying that to your style and bike. ( ride your own ride) If you ask the coach they will ride behind and give advice after every session. Oh yeah, there is ricky racer who will ride at 100% of their capability even in the novice class. I've seen low sides in every track day I've been too and you see riders off the track all the time.

Also everyone I've met at track days are very cool. They've let me borrow what ever I need to pass inspection or quick to give advice on suspension, air pressure, chain tension, etc. N2 wants you to run distilled water in your radiator, tape anything that could shatter and I would take off anything like mirrors, cell phone holders, or those kick ass lights you have. You will need decent tread on your tires and don't be surprised if you're buying new ones at the end of your track day.

I'll check to see if I can get those dates off and if I do I can pick you and your bike up in Columbia with the U Haul and head over to CMP. Also would be very cool to get as many FZ.org forum members as possible to meet us there. There is camping with showers and bathrooms. Inspection started at 7am and the sessions started at 8am. So experienced track day riders get to the track the night before.

CMP use to have cart racers you could rent. Not sure if they are renting in these times, but would give my left nut to ride on a cart racer.
What are the gear requirements for being on the track? I assume it's like others where you must have a leather suit. I also would guess they have them for rent at the track?

Full gauntlet gloves, high boots, and a Snell rated helmet?

·
Registered
Batmobile
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chris, it would be great if you could get out there with me, I'm sure you're dying to get onto a track too. I've been on the N2 forum since I signed up and their Control Riders seem to be some of the nicest people out there, next to our gang of course! I already have talked to one of the coaches that will be there and have been watching the Yamaha schools videos all night.

If anyone in the area is interested, the offer is always on the table to come crash in Columbia and head out from there, it'd be cool to see half a paddock of CP3's. I also plan on hitting road atlanta, the girlfriend wants to get me a birthday present, and if they do Roebling again this year I might make it down that way. I'm really fortunate to be in a place where money doesn't hold me back from doing things.

I'm actually going to buy a trailer in the near future, the same one @Muc has actually, I have a bunch of crazy engineer designs in my head already, so if I get that before April, you could trailer up with me. I know we'll figure it out once you see what your schedule is.

@Moto26 the entire reason I'm going is that I haven't really regained my confidence after my sister had her accident, I have a lot of problems with my braking and entering corners and I know that it is something to be fixed in a controlled environment. I don't know if I heard it here or elsewhere on the internet but the motto is, "slow is smooth, smooth is fast."

@MK3Brent The novice class is actually a little less strict, they accept any full face DOT ECE or Snell helmet, a full suit (2 piece with a full zipper is okay, gauntlets, high boots. They have vendors at the track for gear and bike rentals. I also think they will have a tire vendor on site.

Edit: Looks like CMP has their kart track open, I'm not sure about rentals though.

·
Registered
479 Posts
What are the gear requirements for being on the track? I assume it's like others where you must have a leather suit. I also would guess they have them for rent at the track?

Full gauntlet gloves, high boots, and a Snell rated helmet?
Hello MK3 Brent, what Dave says about gear for the track. Being that my budget is tighter than a grasshoppers ass, I went for used gear on EBAY. Just make sure that the used leather gear doesn't smell like a horse before you buy and you'll want to get pants with knee pucks so you can practice getting that knee down and getting the FZ more up right. I went for a 2 piece that zips together at the waist. Take a look at the N2 website and all their info.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'll add more tomorrow, but breathe is 100% the most important thing, along with relax! Relax your arms, waggle your fingers, no death grips, just relax.

Remember, a track is just a one way road at the start of the day, just ride it. Don't think too much.

I'm not sure exactly how many days I've done on track but it must be 150+

Silverstone, Donington, Spa Francorchamps, Portimao, Jerez. They're the big ones, all the smaller UK tracks too.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yes! Relax, breathe, and most of all have fun. With the death grip, pretend you're playing a piano while you're riding. That's how loose you should be on the bars. Also turn your head to look through corners, don't just move your eyes to look. Vision is everything on the street and track. Did I mention to have fun?!

This is me loose on the bars a while back on a track day.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,972 Posts
That pic was on my buddy's bike at the track he owns in New Mexico. And he was the one taking the pic! LOL

·
Registered
2018 MT 09
856 Posts
If I wasn't going to the dragon the following weekend, I'd probably would have joined you! Never done a track day, but it's on my agenda at some point this season. I have a custom suit on order and just pulled the trigger on some Super Tech R s which are currently on sale at STG. Hoping all my gear will be in by then.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Arroyo Seco Raceway outside Deming. He runs the ASMA club and hosts track days...
Oh yeah! Some of our members with the MRA would go down and race with them there. I never made it down there though. Brian with Speedin' Motorsports would be down there a lot and travel up here for our MRA weekends with some of the New Mexico guys too.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts