Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talked into going down to UMC this last weekend to get my first track day experience. Needless to say it was an absolute blast... I'm hooked. Now comes the expensive part. I just ordered the Ohlins 30mm cartridges and an Ohlins rear shock, K&N air filter, New pads and stainless steel brake lines, And am on the fence about a quick shifter and a Power commander for on the fly tuning of the bike. I would like to get the ECU flashed for multiple reasons ( fan temp, governor elimination, Ext..) My question is if I get the ECU flashed would a PC5 still be beneficial? I'm still learning the ropes in the sport bike world, any input would be greatly appreciated.
image.jpg
image.jpg

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Awesome. Here is a story for you, my brother bought a FZ after riding mine, took it to the track, got hooked and ended up buying a salvaged R1 for a track bike. Moral of the story, save your money and buy a proper track bike that you can truly thrash on the track. I refuse to do track days after having a 20 year obsession with racing motocross. It was as expensive as having a heroin habit. I just can't do it seldom.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Good call on spending some coin on suspension, throttle, and brakes. That's the order I would prioritize in modification-wise for taking the FZ to the track (actually, put some crash protection for the bike at the front of that list). Quick-shifts and other 'go fast' parts are fine and dandy, but aren't super-critical. It's a track day; you're not racing.

And not that I'm some badass semi-pro or anything, but you may want to work on your body position. In your pic, it looks like you're leaning the bike over pretty well while you stay upright. Should be the other way around. You should be leaning over further than the bike (unless you're riding it supermoto-style, which is a completely different story).

A PC5 or similar is definitely not needed if you get a flash.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
5,619 Posts
Good advice Mike. Body position is one of those things that sometimes take lots of time to develope, so grab an Instructor the next time and start learning the basics before you start developing bad habits. It's easier to learn proper body technique it you don't have to first break bad habits. Congrats, and welcome to the addiction.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DNFDOUG, I'll have to look in to getting a used track bike. You can never have too many motorcycles LOL.

And thanks for the advice on body positioning. This being my first track day I had a lot to take in. Towards the end the day I started to lean off the side of the bike more.

These modifications of the suspension and braking systems will not only help build my confidence at the occasional track day, but will also make day-to-day riding on the FZ more comfortable and enjoyable.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Here are a few more pictures from Friday at UMC.
I did see anothe FZ in C class. Even with his suspension modifications by the end of the day I was able to pass him ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts