Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was waiting at a light tonight on a slight hill and when The light went green I stalled, embarrassed I quickly started it and gunned out of there shifting up quickly in B mode. As I shifted into 2nd the front came up about 6" and my motocross experience kicked in and I leaned forward and eased the throttle back a hair and she settle back down. It was surprising but not as dramatic as I had imagined it would be. This frick'n thing is a rocket and I love it :cool:

Reactions: marthy

·
Registered
58 Posts
Had my first wheelie yesterday in second, B Mode.
A car didn't indicate for a corner until 5 meters in-front. Sitting in second, I indicated, checked mirrors and blind spot then moved into the other lane.
Within seconds the front was in the air around 50cm. First wheelie, first surprise wheelie.

Handled it fine, eased off and it came back down.
Glad that it happened at least now I have some expectation!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Nice! In a few months you will hold her there.

I had the same on sunday, was in A and 1st at a light ok slight uphill. About 200m to next light. Light changed and I pinned her, obviously expecting a hit. She came up, still had right foot out for balance, and kinda dragonf behind the foot rest. Held wheelie untill i had to set it down for the nxt light. Be careful of exhaust vapor burn, i really felt it through my riding jeans, but it was awesome!

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Oh you bunch of Hooligan boys!........I'd never think of doing something like that on my pretty little Red Yamaha. Shame on y'all! :evil6:

·
Registered
221 Posts
so B mode is wheelie mode? I will try soon

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
At 1100 miles my rear tire is worn out but my front is brand new. How could that be?

Gee I thought everyone rode their FZ's on the back wheel only. TEE HEE HEE.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Pulled a wheelie and notice a traffic cop as i set her down at the lights, cop pulls up next to me, roll down window, give me a thumbs up and comments how badass the bike and helmet (varient) combo looks. Gota love Africa baby!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Oh, i would say Standard is best for a clutch wheelie in anything from 1st to 3rd.

A mode = 120kmph, ass back, clutch im full gas and pop that sucker. Then wait for a grin on youre face to appear.

·
Registered
221 Posts
ive decided not to learn, by doing a clutch wheelie for my first time

·
Registered
225 Posts
ive decided not to learn, by doing a clutch wheelie for my first time
Don't need the clutch in 1st or 2nd, it's all in the right wrist. Any time you want it, it's ready!

Reactions: Poogamer69

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Yeah, I was going to comment that I found B mode the best for clutching as the wheel seems to come up more controllably. In STD and A the damn handle bars try to bitch slap you they come up so quickly.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Pulled a wheelie and notice a traffic cop as i set her down at the lights, cop pulls up next to me, roll down window, give me a thumbs up and comments how badass the bike and helmet (varient) combo looks. Gota love Africa baby!
Wow the cops must be cool guys down under. Up north here that's not the case.

Cops here would define a wheelie as wreakless driving or exhibition of speed.

Either one could get your bike impounded while you get a trip to the crow bar hotel.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I had to practice a lot to be able to do a power wheelie, I don't like clutch wheelies.

Sent from my RM-877_nam_att_205 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think a clutch wheelie is safer than a power wheelie, if you practice the pop. Start slow and progress. Cool vid below

·
Registered
224 Posts
More people are comfortable with clutch wheelies, I am not, and it is better on the plates, and transmission in general.

Sent from my RM-877_nam_att_205 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
My first surprise wheelie was the very first time I let out the clutch on my SL70 Honda in 1971. I have been hooked ever since.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
For the 09 I'd rather learn wheelies with the the throttle, you are just experimenting with one thing.

My first motorcycling surprise was also on an SL70, I hit a boat in the first seconds. It gets better lol.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
My first ever motorcycle was a Honda xr75. I just got it home in the driveway, I let out the clutch, gave it gas, and it took right off. The bad thing is I forgot to sit down and lift my feet so it took off without me.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Talking about surprise... been raining here this afternoon but weather clear up right in time for the ride home. Road were still a bit wet so I selected mode B and took it easy. By the time ai got in the on ramp the pavement was mostly dry, time to switch to mode A!

By the time I get un 3rd gear on roll on the throttle (didn't hammer it) rear end got sideway a bit!

Moral of the story... wet = mode B.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts