Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend that has several years exp on dirt bikes and mopeds.....

What's your call & why.....???? :)

·
Registered
957 Posts
For an inexperienced rider I always recommend naked over faired because of the very likely possibility that the bike will end up on its side at some point and messed up fairings can be a lot of $$$. Frame sliders usually aren't enough to protect fairings from some damage. But naked bikes usually suffer nothing when using frame sliders.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
FZ07. I think the 07 has the edge in power, fuel economy, and I would assume in comfort. Styling is a toss up I suppose, but the Ninja does have ABS.

Reactions: ktk_ace

·
Registered
275 Posts
Im biased to the 07. We were looking to get one for my gf and they only had the ninja available. They were going to let us have it for much lower than they are asking for but we had to said no. The tech on the FZ is just amazing compare to the Ninja. Plus we both like the naked bike look. Majority of the dealer here in San Antonio seems to have a shortage on 07s and 09s.

·
Registered
36 Posts
'92-'97 Yamaha xj600 Seca II. Reliable, easy to learn on, readily available on any craiglist or similar place, cheap parts abound on eBay, cheap to insure, cheap to ride, great for learning how to work on motorcycles. Tons of low end torque and plenty of power to get into trouble if you want, yet forgiving enough for a new rider. Check out XJRider.com ? Welcome to XJRider.com. It's a similar rider forum to this one.

·
Registered
957 Posts
'92-'97 Yamaha xj600 Seca II. Reliable, easy to learn on, readily available on any craiglist or similar place, cheap parts abound on eBay, cheap to insure, cheap to ride, great for learning how to work on motorcycles. Tons of low end torque and plenty of power to get into trouble if you want, yet forgiving enough for a new rider. Check out XJRider.com ? Welcome to XJRider.com. It's a similar rider forum to this one.
Going to agree. I wouldn't get a new rider a new bike. My first bike was about 8 years old when I bought it and it did me fine.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I would think either would work - depends on if they like a naked bike or not - the riding experience between the 2 is incredibly different:

fz07 - friendly riding position, no fairings, good stand over height and narrow/lightweight footprint. Brand new you're looking at a few grand cheaper too

Ninja 650 - better wind protection but bigger footprint/heavier - cheaper if you can find a used one in a good shape - i would go used for a first bike either way.

They could also look at a used Suzuki SV650 - that was my first bike - as i've said several times - super cheap on insurance and cost in general, bomb proof engine - boat loads of fun. Forgiving on maintenance if you're teaching yourself - boy did i almost mess up a few things wrenching on it.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I would think either would work - depends on if they like a naked bike or not - the riding experience between the 2 is incredibly different:

fz07 - friendly riding position, no fairings, good stand over height and narrow/lightweight footprint. Brand new you're looking at a few grand cheaper too

Ninja 650 - better wind protection but bigger footprint/heavier - cheaper if you can find a used one in a good shape - i would go used for a first bike either way.

They could also look at a used Suzuki SV650 - that was my first bike - as i've said several times - super cheap on insurance and cost in general, bomb proof engine - boat loads of fun. Forgiving on maintenance if you're teaching yourself - boy did i almost mess up a few things wrenching on it.
Out of curiosity, were you the same Beck from bestbeginnermotorcycles, and svrider?

·
Registered
275 Posts
If we were considering used bikes, Bandit 600 (GSF600) or ninja 500. I personally learned on the Ninja500 but being the fatty that I am, I had to switch to the Bandit 600. It's more than capable of 230lbs and being 6 ft tall. The ninja just felt too small for me.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
A friend that has several years exp on dirt bikes
This happens a lot in threads asking for first street bike advice, dirt experience is mentioned but without details. I'm an advocate of dirt riding for street riders but there is a huge range of experience and it makes a difference when picking a street bike.

50 hours over a couple of years on a borrowed 15HP play dirt bike? Then I'd say get a 30 to 50HP street bike.

Has raced 450 class MX? Then yes a 100HP street bike should be ok, just be patient learning the street, the heavier bike, pavement, etc.

·
Registered
464 Posts
has he thought about the kawasaki er6n? i had an 09 and loved it but my riding ability outgrew my bike so i upgraded to the fz. but its was great, same exact bike as the ninja 650 but a naked bike.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Why is the Sv not on this list??? Sv650 hands down. Cheaper, more aftermarket support.

Reactions: Jeramotion

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
If you can still find it, Sport Rider Magazine did a comparison in the October 2014 issue of four middleweight bikes...
1. Honda CBR650F
2. Kawasaki Ninja 650
3. Suzuki SFV650
4. Yamaha FZ07

Very good article and without going into detail, the final scores at the end of the article are:

81 out of 100 possible...Kawasaki Ninja
87 out of 100 possible...Suzuki
89 out of 100 possible...Honda CBR650F
91 out of 100 possible...Yamaha FZ07

Categories rated are as follows...
Fun to ride, Quality, Instruments and Controls, Ergonomics, Chassis and Handling, Suspension, Brakes, Transmission, Engine Power, Engine Power Delivery.

Reactions: Steve101

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
If you can still find it, Sport Rider Magazine did a comparison in the October 2014 issue of four middleweight bikes...
1. Honda CBR650F
2. Kawasaki Ninja 650
3. Suzuki SFV650
4. Yamaha FZ07

Very good article and without going into detail, the final scores at the end of the article are:

Fun to ride, Quality, Instruments and Controls, Ergonomics, Chassis and Handling, Suspension, Brakes, Transmission, Engine Power, Engine Power Delivery.

Factor price in, and the FZ-07 is the clear winner IMO

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1. Honda CBR650F
2. Kawasaki Ninja 650
3. Suzuki SFV650
4. Yamaha FZ07

If You had done the comparison, but added the FZ09 into the mix (since you own an '09 and an '07), what numerical score whould you have given the '09....???

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 32 Posts