Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
'15
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last month I got nailed by lidar from 380 meters away coming out of a sweet turn, slowed down for a long straight but was allegedly going 108km/h in a 50km/h zone. It was a motorcycle cop who waited for me to pass, didn't pull out, and then came up right beside me in my lane at the next couple of stoplights. Sneaky sneaky... Told me to pull over and I assumed he wanted to chat about my plate because I was only going about 65km/h when I passed him. After I stopped and he asked for my key I knew it must be worse...

Up here in Ontario, Canada, that constitutes "Stunting", our new rules being 40km/h or more with a posted limit of 79km/h or less, or 50km/h over when the limit is 80km/h or more. If caught and charged, you face an immediate 14 day vehicle impound which you must pay before you can get your bike back, and a 30 (thirty) day license suspension on the spot. All before ever being found guilty and convicted.

So that's what I'm dealing with. I've hired a paralegal, who was a police officer for 30+ years in the city I got charged, so I'm hoping they know the ropes and built some good relationships. They had good reviews online and have seemed helpful so far. Fingers crossed. Wish me luck and keep me in your prayers to whatever god you pray in. If I'm found guilty of this one speeding ticket with the stunting charge, I'd most likely need facility insurance and that would be an unthinkable amount per year.

Attached image of location: Be honest, who wouldn't go 100 around this corner?! :( He was just sitting there busting people ALL day, hidden behind the bushes...

Property Plant Infrastructure Transport hub Land lot

·
Registered
24 Posts
Whenever I think I have it bad in Australia, I look to my Canadian Five Eyes brothers! All the best, mate, it's ridiculous how predatory Police are for what is not necessary unsafe conduct, and how the judicial system is maligned to prevent appeal.

·
Registered
188 Posts
As a fellow Ontario rider I share your pain. These days, the difference between enjoying your MT09 legally and watching the police load it onto a flatbed is about three seconds.

And then there's the public shaming before you even get to trial, if they decide to take a snapshot of your impounded bike and post it to Facebook.

Good luck with your defense.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Harsh! Police suck. I don't play in the city anymore. Can't afford to lose my license or business insurance. Had to learn to keep the fun up in the mountains.

Good luck, brosef ✌

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I agree with the summary punishment being contrary to the principles of law, we have similar in NZ.
But twice the limit?
Even on what looks like a safe road, that's asking for a shitstorm to dump on you.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
3,089 Posts
“Twice the limit” does sound bad, but a 50kph limit on that 4-lane road? That’s 31mph, which is ridiculously low for a road like that. Realistically, it should be more like 45mph, which is 72kph, so call it a 70kph limit, and your 108kph speed is no longer “stunting”. Speeding, sure, and take your medicine, but the limit of 50 is made for writing tickets and nothing else.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
“Twice the limit” does sound bad, but a 50kph limit on that 4-lane road? That’s 31mph, which is ridiculously low for a road like that. Realistically, it should be more like 45mph, which is 72kph, so call it a 70kph limit, and your 108kph speed is no longer “stunting”. Speeding, sure, and take your medicine, but the limit of 50 is made for writing tickets and nothing else.
Your Honor, members of the jury... thank you for your time today. It's a pity we have to meet under these circumstances. What we intend to prove today from the prosecution side is that OP is a major threat to society with his 'stunting' as well as something called 'squidding' which I have no idea what that means... I present EXHIBIT A...

Wheel Sky Tire Automotive tire Motorcycle helmet

·
Registered
'15
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As a fellow Ontario rider I share your pain. These days, the difference between enjoying your MT09 legally and watching the police load it onto a flatbed is about three seconds.

And then there's the public shaming before you even get to trial, if they decide to take a snapshot of your impounded bike and post it to Facebook.

Good luck with your defense.
Yeah, the same day that officer posted a photo of a pickup truck getting loaded on a flatbed at the exact same location, that one for 97 in a 50, and a shot of the lidar gun with it.

I was really nice to him, tried everything to talk my way out of getting my bike impounded... wasn't happening. He did write how nice I was in his notes, which he told me goes a long way with the prosecutor, so we'll see. Apparently being rude to an officer while being charged will look a lot worse in court when trying to fight it, so I'm glad for that at least.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yeah, the same day that officer posted a photo of a pickup truck getting loaded on a flatbed at the exact same location, that one for 97 in a 50, and a shot of the lidar gun with it.

I was really nice to him, tried everything to talk my way out of getting my bike impounded... wasn't happening. He did write how nice I was in his notes, which he told me goes a long way with the prosecutor, so we'll see. Apparently being rude to an officer while being charged will look a lot worse in court when trying to fight it, so I'm glad for that at least.
That sucks. But think about it this way - how many times have you sped and NOT gotten caught? Sooner or later, the odds catch up to all of us.
In parts of the U.S., speed traps are illegal. Maybe that might apply where you are in Canada - an experienced lawyer would know.

It should be obvoius, but being rude/confrontational with a cop never ends well. LOL

·
Registered
392 Posts
Fellow Ontario rider here and have been through this pain. There is really only 2 things that can help you now,
1. I hope you have a very good paralegal
2. Pray to god that the officer made a mistake big enough that your paralegal can create an exit strategy.

Quite a few years ago I accelerated into a ramp going onto Hwy 6 in Guelph. An OPP officer in an SUV just about ran me off the road once he caught up to me. I had noticed the blacked out suv in my rear view mirror just before merging onto the highway and checked my speed at which I was doing 105km/h in the 80km/h zone.

Figured the officer would be reasonable and I pulled over immediately having to brake aggressively before hitting the gravel shoulder. Once the officer got out of his vehicle he approached quickly yelling for me to hand over my key. Told me I was doing 149 km/h on the ramp and walked away to talk to my buddy who stopped behind him. Once he came back after talking to my buddy he asked why I hadn't listened to him and gotten out my license and insurance which I had to explain was locked in my rear seat to which he took my key. The officer was shaking with adrenaline when he looked at the two keys to figure out which one was mine. Gave him my documents and all he said was, "You two better call for a ride, as far as I'm concerned these bikes are mine".

Stood on the side of the highway for almost an hour until a tow truck picked up our bikes. My buddy and I both got charged with 149km/h in an 80. We hired a paralegal who I don't think was the greatest as once I reviewed the officers documents I found numerous mistakes. The officer wrote in his notes that he followed us through Guelph before we got on the highway and we were driving irratically. Said he first saw us at an intersection that doesn't even exist because the road name changes as you drive down it. TImes he wrote down were all messed up saying he turned on his siren to pull us over 15 minutes earlier than the time when he recorded he first saw us in Guelph... Paralegal took the mistakes to the prosecutor which the prosecutor said they were all irrelavent and because we had a few speeding tickets in the past they were going to charge us the $10,000 and 2 year license suspension if we took it to court. Couldn't risk losing my license for 2 years (since it's both motorcycle and driving license) and settled on a 60km/h speeding ticket with 6 points.

Spent over $600 getting my bike out of impound, another $849 for the paralegal, the speeding ticket was over $600 dollars and increased insurance from the ticket over the next 3 odd years until the ticket came off my record.

Now the law states doing in excess of 30km/h over speed limits under 80 are worthy of the stunt racing so the courts might not be so nice with you going 58km/h over the limit. I do my best to never ride my motorcycle more than 15 over the limit. I find it hard to imagine stopping for a cop if I was ever caught having fun again though... Good Luck

·
Registered
657 Posts
"Honest your honour...I was social distancing, not speeding". The laws up here really suck BIG time. If you accelerate what the cop thinks is too quickly from a stop up to the posted limit you can be charged with stunting!!! Just the "attempt" to lift the front wheel or spin the tires in a car can result in the same charge...totally insane.
I have a very good friend that has an O.P.P. [provincial cop..same as state trooper] neighbour and he agrees the laws are nuts!
I sure hope you can at the very least get it reduced.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts