Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what they do for the 600 mile service besides oil change? And should you take it to the dealer for the first service?

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
The items they check are in the owners manual, they will go through that list.
.....if you're lucky.

I wouldn't bet on it........But that's just me. :cool:

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Right, hopefully they did what services they listed on the invoice.

Fixed that for you. I'm sure yours was an oversight...:cool:

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Reactions: cthouse

·
Registered
165 Posts
Depends on who does the work.

I watched the mechanic do everything in the schedule and install the new tune too. First service is labout free over here - only pay for parts.

The schedule lists oil and filter change and throttle body sync as well as a once over, check chain etc.

·
Registered
204 Posts
That's cos you were 'watching' Put it from a mechanics perspective. They do this all day long. The monotony of it for them. 99.99% of the time, when a bike has only done 600miles, there will be NOTHING wrong with it. Why take off the tank and go thru all that procedure when they all know the end result will always be the same. Nope they'll change the oil, cos that makes a difference, and move on to the next. Perhaps if you had an absolute perfectionist, and it was his own bike, then maybe.. but for yours ? no chance.

Depends on who does the work.

I watched the mechanic do everything in the schedule and install the new tune too. First service is labout free over here - only pay for parts.

The schedule lists oil and filter change and throttle body sync as well as a once over, check chain etc.

·
Registered
165 Posts
That's cos you were 'watching' Put it from a mechanics perspective. They do this all day long. The monotony of it for them. 99.99% of the time, when a bike has only done 600miles, there will be NOTHING wrong with it. Why take off the tank and go thru all that procedure when they all know the end result will always be the same. Nope they'll change the oil, cos that makes a difference, and move on to the next. Perhaps if you had an absolute perfectionist, and it was his own bike, then maybe.. but for yours ? no chance.
So what? They did it all. Some will, some won't. That's all I said. But apparently every dealer is out to scam you.

Yet people here are happy to send off their ECU or forks to have work done that they can't verify either..... yet that is ok.

·
Registered
225 Posts
So what? They did it all. Some will, some won't. That's all I said. But apparently every dealer is out to scam you.

Yet people here are happy to send off their ECU or forks to have work done that they can't verify either..... yet that is ok.
That's a fairly solid point.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I'd trust an aftermarket shop more than a dealer, any day. It's pretty obvious if an ECU flash is correct, or not, and the guys doing it here, bend over backward to offer great service and respect for their customers. Next or same day turnaround? They care.

It's also pretty obvious if your forks have been modified. Most portions of the dealer service are difficult, if not impossible, to verify.

I love shopping at my dealer, because they discount every bike they sell. However, I doubt I will ever use them for service, because I can do the same work faster, with less hassle, cheaper.

·
Registered
350 Posts
There is a lot of distrust for dealer's on this site, some based on experience, some just the basic 'distrust of everything' gestalt that is so common these days. Really, some dealers are fine and reputable. Others not so much. If you are mechanically inclined, have the tools, and like greasy hands and bloody knuckles, doing your own work is best. But if you don't have those characteristics, finding a good dealer that you trust can be done. Working on developing a relationship with your mechanic is important here. People are less inclined to screw people they like. Really. But the basic fact remains, dealer profit is largely dependent on maintenance and parts charges to customers. They don't make enough selling bikes to pay the rent. So a skeptical attitude is OK, but don't be a dick about it. Heh, I used to work on bikes at a dealership. I'm kinda sensitive. And I do all my own maintenance.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
There is a lot of distrust for dealer's on this site, some based on experience, some just the basic 'distrust of everything' gestalt that is so common these days. Really, some dealers are fine and reputable. Others not so much. If you are mechanically inclined, have the tools, and like greasy hands and bloody knuckles, doing your own work is best. But if you don't have those characteristics, finding a good dealer that you trust can be done. Working on developing a relationship with your mechanic is important here. People are less inclined to screw people they like. Really. But the basic fact remains, dealer profit is largely dependent on maintenance and parts charges to customers. They don't make enough selling bikes to pay the rent. So a skeptical attitude is OK, but don't be a dick about it. Heh, I used to work on bikes at a dealership. I'm kinda sensitive. And I do all my own maintenance.

All good points. But I live in South Florida and I've got to believe we've got wayyy more than our fair share of dickheads working at ALL of our local dealerships IMHO. :cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys for your input. I think i well just do it myself. Another Question Can you do the fuel injection synchronization with the air box off.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'd trust an aftermarket shop more than a dealer, any day. It's pretty obvious if an ECU flash is correct, or not, and the guys doing it here, bend over backward to offer great service and respect for their customers. Next or same day turnaround? They care.

It's also pretty obvious if your forks have been modified. Most portions of the dealer service are difficult, if not impossible, to verify.

I love shopping at my dealer, because they discount every bike they sell. However, I doubt I will ever use them for service, because I can do the same work faster, with less hassle, cheaper.
You cannot verify that those forks have had done what the vendor said they would, nor the ECU. They may be different but are they right? Are they what you paid for?

I used the dealer for the first service because labour was free.......... all future servicing, as with all my previous bikes, I will do myself. Same as the fork revalve.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts