Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local dealer (near Lancaster, PA) wants $235 to do the first service. I'm over and need to get this done.

(1) Can I just change the oil myself and save the receipt?
(2) Do I have to go to the dealer to have this done to maintain the warranty?
(3) I asked what they do besides change the oil and they said something about valves that takes an hour of labor. I think they are full of it. They are saying the first service is 1.8 hours labor. Is this accurate?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
You can do any and all scheduled maint that the bike needs/requires, as the owner of the bike. It does NOT have to go to a dealer for this service and the good news is that it doesn't void your one year warranty on the bike. Save receipts from the oil and filter purchase and keep track of the date/mileage along with those receipts.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's good. What about this other stuff that they are claiming they need to do?!?

·
Registered
168 Posts
If they sync throttle which is probably what u mean by valves then that is a fair price.
They will ck bolts, chain, tires, etc, and change oil.
They will have a list of what is going to be included in the service for you.
U can do it yourself, but for a complete service all dealers are going to be a little high.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Changing the oil on a FZ09 is super easy. You can watch it on you tube. Just look up FZ09 oil change. I did my first oil change at 110 miles and right now i am a few miles short of 600. I'll be changing the oil again tomorrow. On the 3rd oil change I will be going to full synthetic. I'm with Fizzerpilot, if you want to be sure what was done to your bike then you NEED to do it yourself.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
first services are tricky since its the first checkup since break-in period. Some will do it themselves because they enjoy doing it and others will take to the dealer because they don't know how or they want piece of mind.

I took mine into the dealer for first service because the bike was a new model and I wanted someone on the hook in case something went wrong. But I changed my own oil next time around.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I took mine to the dealer for the first service. They did sync the throttle bodies...they must have been a tad off b/c I could tell a difference. I just wanted peace of mind as Tunnelvision mentioned. And like him, I'll change the oil myself here on out...

·
Registered
511 Posts
All of the things that are supposed to be checked are in your owner's manual. The problem is you don't know if the person working at the dealer is a dumb ass or a qualified individual. Sometimes meeting with the service guys first can give you a clue. I took one of my bikes to the dealer for new Bridgestones and they put an Avon on the front by mistake. You just can't fix stupid. The oil change is easy. Just don't overtighten the plug.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I am now due for my first service. Will take it to the dealer for the first one, then I'm doing it from then on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts