Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT09
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked up my new 2021 MT09 today. The sun has been out here in the UK so I’ve spent the day burning some devilishly expensive petrol. Some observations still day one so not really ready to qualify them until I get some more miles on the rubber. So here goes Looks better in the flesh, the finish is mostly good, few taped wires and that horn aside mines tech black but does need a splash of colour somewhere (watch this space)

Firstly, that engine! Phenomenal power, torque even the stock noise is sublime. Short shifting down the first straight I was smitten how addictive? Tracks, turns, stops very well. Need to get used to the clutch bite point but I’m sure that’s me. But the quick shift works well. The next thing I noticed is how hard this thing is, it seems to pick up every bump and imperfection in the road bout rattled my fillings out, letting a bit of air out of the tyres may help but I think I’m going to need to play with the damping…The stock tyres seem pretty good and inspire confidence so no issues in the dry at least. Everybody has said how comfortable they are, but for me it seems to pitch me forward putting a fair amount of load on my forearms my feet seem quite high and back I’m sure I’ll get used to it as I say just an observation. The controls are a bit fiddly on the move but perhaps I shouldn’t be fiddling with them on the move. That said, I keep missing the indicators with my thumb and keep smashing the mode button. Talking of modes everything is still on max help apart from drive mode 2 :) the small screen is clear enough. Stupid place to put the seat lock BTW not that you can fit anything under it, tooth pick anyone? Nearly ran out of petrol despite 50+ mpg is it just me or is that stupid fuel strainer more of a hindrance than doing anything remotely helpful? The wife seemed okay on the back although seemed to have other stuff to do in the afternoon. So 200 miles on I’m Still grinning and thinking where to go tomorrow…

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT09
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
So letting some air out helped, following delivery the cold pressures were ‘quite’ high @ 42/50psi !!! I’ve dropped the down to 33/36psi which has helped with the vibrations, but still may have a play with the damping trying to limit any changes to one at a time. That said, I did adjust the lever positions and pulled / rotated the bars towards me 10mm or so. The bike fits a bit better now plus I’m trying to sit further forward balls to the tank so to speak. Time will tell if this is a good move but these small changes with an adjustment to my feet position seem to have made it more comfortable taking the stress out of the forearms and calf’s, of course it could just be me I’m more relaxed on the new bike. Either way things are moving in the right direction…

·
Super Moderator
2,742 Posts
Good for you that you actually adjusted the ergos on the bike before slapping an exhaust on it. :LOL:
I'm always so surprised when no one does this. Also, you're spot on for the tire pressure. On those tires, I'd probably be right around 33-35psi front and rear and see how it behaves. My bike with Angel GT2's at high pressure induce a ton of speed wobble.

Good luck.

Reactions: Istiban

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT09
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Been out and about this afternoon, I’ve got some lovely loops out of Stratford in to the Cotswolds, great roads and still loving the MT. Gonna book in for a suspension set-up for me at some point but no rush it handles well just stiff / harsh over the bumps. Will try to soften things up next time out.

Like you I was originally looking for a SP, but none around. I got a ex-demo with about 100 miles on it from Branstons paid £8k so not bad right place right time dealers were quoting June/ July for a new new one.

Istiban.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT09
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Put another 70/80 miles on today, getting much more used to the bike. No complaints, still loving it, so much fun even whilst still running in (ish).

I had a Suzuki intruder before this and whilst it looked good and the mrs loved it on the back, god was it boring, just wouldn’t turn and that 1500cc twin just seemed flat. The Yam couldn’t be more opposite I need to check myself every now and then it really does bring out the hooligan in me.

Istiban

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT09
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It’s a keeper! Finding it hard to find any faults with the riding experience one of if not the best bike I’ve owned and I’ve had bikes since I was 16, the first 10 years of which a bike was my only form of transport come rain or shine. I’m More of a fair weather biker these days but looking for excuses to get the MT out of the garage every day, it’s just good fun to ride. For me that’s what I was looking for in a bike for the sort of riding I do (fast B-roads) the bike is perfect. The engine is fantastic a real hoot! And makes me smile very twist of the throttle. I’m still running it in so haven’t pushed it TBH but pick a line and it holds it, tyres work as well as any I ridden in the past. That said certain dips or lumps in the roads can still set it bouncing at the rear and it takes a second to settle down but it doesn’t wollow the front is always settled. It’s still a bit harsh over certain surfaces taking some air out the tyres helped but it still giggles the internal organs more than I’d like. The brakes do lack a little initial feel on the front but not really an issue and ultimately it stops very well which is what you want. The gearbox is pretty slick once you get it moving Quickshifts up the box are a joy, downshifts are still a work in progress and may need some adjustments me or it TBC.

The bike fits very well no issues with the position very comfortable felt in control of the machine since day one really. Even the much criticised seat seems fine to me. The mrs is less well catered for and I can see why, Yamaha must have save 0.0025p on foam back there. But this was always meant to be my weekend fun so not something I put a lot of thought into but at least it has a pillion.

I love the look of the bike the tank, frame and engine being the highlights I even like the cyclops headlight which is also very bright again that’s what’s important. Any issues I have so far are gonna be with the fit and finish, stuff I’ve mentioned in other posts the loom seems to have very little slack anywhere. The routing of some of those looms are a bit ugly and maybe they should have put a bit more thought / effort into hiding them. The horn looks very exposed and kinda like an afterthought. Those stupid scrivets are going to be a pain in my ass. I can live with the lack of storage. What have I missed?

Istiban

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT09
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Try adjusting the rear shock damping and/or pre-load. I did a little experimenting with mine and it stopped the wallowing you're describing. Good luck!
I plan to get the bike set-up for me at some point once things have settled in a bit, I’ll keep you all posted.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT09
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quick update...Having gotten it's first service (£175) last week at Alf England's Yamaha UK and a couple of hundred miles semi-cautious riding since I've now fully uncorked the rev range and it doesn't disappoint. But, I do think that the extra speed on certain corners is starting to show up the suspension or the perhaps just the default settings. Bit of bouncing and wallowing at the back and may have bottomed out the forks slightly on a bump whilst hard on the brakes. Anyway I've booked in to get the bike set-up for my weight and fast B-road riding at Road, Race performance tomorrow a.m. we'll see how that feels before we start to look at mods. I mean the bike handles pretty great as it stands and could just slow down ride around any issues I'm somewhat curious if they can improve things on the road...watch this space...

Istiban

·
Registered
302 Posts
But, I do think that the extra speed on certain corners is starting to show up the suspension or the perhaps just the default settings. Bit of bouncing and wallowing at the back and may have bottomed out the forks slightly on a bump whilst hard on the brakes.
It's the suspension - proper setup can only do so much when the base components are meh. Fork springs are too soft unless you weigh 50 lbs, and the rear shock is basically just a placeholder until you get a better one.

I mean the bike handles pretty great as it stands and could just slow down ride around any issues I'm somewhat curious if they can improve things on the road..
Yeah, just gotta take it a little easy and ride around its limitations for now.
The chassis on the Gen3 is a lot better than the Gen1/2 though. I had a first gen with aftermarket suspension and while that was better than the stockers on the Gen3, my old bike never gave me the front end feel and responsiveness that my '22 does.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT09
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Okay, so that was interesting as Nick at Road, Race performance has basically said the exact same thing that JCFZ9 just posted on this thread. He's seen a few 2021 MT-09's and there is basically not enough adjustment in the OEM suspension to set it up correctly for my (a-hem) weight and even if there was it would be a waste of time as the OEM suspension parts are not really up to the job. So, I rode out of there with everything on max less a half turn here and there...To be fair it has fixed the bouncing but feels worse to ride compared to the stock settings and is far too harsh.

Anyway to cut a long story short I'm now £1400 lighter I'm going back next week to have some K-tech suspension installed front (springs and cartridges) and rear (new unit) match to my weight and riding style. So, I'm now looking forward to what's promised to be a Rolls Royce magic carpet ride from K-tech that transforms the bike.

120-021-270-020
279S-021-270-021
3624-300-85

As always, I'll keep you posted

1 - 20 of 23 Posts