Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Caution, This is a very lengthy read.......don't blame me if you put yourself to sleep reading it......

Well, today finally came, thank goodness. I purchased the bike exactly a week ago today and had to put it in the garage and leave the next morning to go out of town for a funeral. So, this morning, I went out to the garage and put the bike up on my Pit Bull stands and started taking the front and rear wheels off of the bike so that I could change out the tires that came on it (Battlax S20’s) for a set of the Dunlop Q3’s that I bought over a month ago, just waiting for the bike to arrive. This bike is like most modern day sport bikes, so taking the front and rear wheels off is a routine job for me, since I change tires on my track bike and my wife’s track bike several times a year. So, with the new rubber mounted and balanced and back on the bike, it’s time for a little stroll over to the back road that I planned on using for my Phase 1 break in time. I stuck the bike in 1st gear and headed out. Since the road to get over there is twisty (isn’t every road in E. TN twisty?), I really had no need to take it out of 1st gear until I got to the highway that isn’t used very much. I spent the next 21 miles in 2nd gear rolling the throttle up and letting off with the clutch still engaged of course. For the first 10 miles, I tried to keep the RPM’s no higher than about 8K. After that, the next 10 or so was run up to 10K and then roll off and let the RPM’s drop down to about 3K, then repeat…..over and over. There were a couple of time that I got into the Rev. limiter, but my then, I was approaching almost 20 miles on the clock. I rode back to the house and set a fan on the floor and let it blow on the motor for a short time so that it would cool off a bit before I did my oil and filter change. By the way, this oil and filter change I used a good quality 10W-40 dino oil. After the oil change I went in the house and suited up with full leathers and headed off to one of my favorite twisty roads that is only about 30 miles from the house. The entire ride over there was spent rolling on the throttle hard and letting off, except this time I was using 1st through 4th gears instead of just 2nd gear. I filled up with gas at the start of the twisty section and rode it like I stole it, continuing on with Phase 2 of the break in. By the time I got done with the ride today, I had 140 miles on the bike. The engine oil that was changed out at at approx. 23 miles looked very clean and no noticeable metal particles in the oil. The oil that is in the bike now is going to stay there until I reach approx 600 miles or so, then get changed out and Mobil 1 15W-50 put in it for the next 4 to5 thousand miles.

Things that I noticed today while riding:
1. The Motor: is an absolute MONSTER! It pulls strong from 1000 RPMs all the way to redline. I cannot thoroughly express how impressed I am with this motor. I’ve owned 4 different liter bikes in my life and I have to agree with one of the magazine reviews…….it pulls like an R1….at least through second or third gear. I had the front wheel in the air this afternoon at approx. 85 MPH in third, coming over a slight rise in the road. Did I mention that the motor is ……..A MONSTER!
2. Transmission: This is Japanese refinement at it’s best. The gearbox is absolutely butter smooth and totally effortless to shift the bike. Again, I’m thoroughly impressed with this also.
3. Suspension: Before I took the bike out, I set the preload and rebound damping setting to what I thought might work for me. I’ll say that the suspension isn’t too bad, probably about average for a bike of this price range. I’ve got the front fork preload turn way up to almost max and the rebound is turned to full hard. The rear shock is set at 5 and to honest with you, I didn’t even check the rebound setting yet, as I wanted to ride it and see how it felt. All in all, the suspension on this bike will work for the majority of riders. If you plan on doing track days or really pushing the bike, and upgrade will almost be a sure thing requirement. It’s not bad, but then again I am accustomed to Ohlins suspension on my track bike and having it perfectly dialed in for me.
4. Brakes: I know that stainless line will improve the feel/strength of the front brakes, but the stock lines are really good enough for now. The initial bite when the front is applied feels strong. The front end dives a bit though and that may be somewhat of a contributing factor, but make no mistake about it, the brakes are pretty good for street riding. A set of Vesrah RJL pad on the front would certainly go a long way to improving the braking, but as I stated, they are good enough for almost any type of street riding. Eventually, I will have stainless lines and a set of RJLs on the bike, but that is nit-picking just a bit. I really couldn’t tell you anything about the rear brakes except that they are present and accounted for. I rarely use the rear brake except for an off road adventure on the track…or… to tighten up a line through a corner at the track. I mostly ride at a much slower pace on the street, so I’m not seeing much use of the rear brake.
5. Seat: Wow….it going to be tough getting my butt broke in for that seat. The seat has too much rear to front slant and forces you to put your weight on the boney part of your A$$. I always ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs, which helps to take a bit of that weight off of my butt. Still, the seat is going to need work. I’m thinking of having a guy that I know that does seats, remove at least some of the existing foam and replace it with some gel type foam, keeping the same seat height and leveling it out instead of the forward cant. I had a very similar problem with the DorsoDuro that I had and the guy worked on that seat and turned it into a comfortable seat for 250-300 mile days.
6. Tires: I love the Q3’s for far. I’m running about 30 psi front and 31 psi rear, cold pressures. They seem to stick pretty well, but again, my track day tires make it hard to feel as confident in ANY street tire as I do the Michelin Power Cups. I’m down to about ½ “ of unused tire on the edges, and tomorrow I’m hoping to erase that little bit when I take it out and head for some more of my favorite twisties.
7. Fuel mileage: Basically, I really didn’t try to ride the bike today in a “fuel conserving” mode. I was constantly on the throttle hard, very hard, working on engine break in. For what it’s worth, the instrument display showed that I was averaging right at 33MPG. That number seems low, and it is, but just remember, this is not a true representation of what the bike will do on a “normal” ride, although many folks don’t consider me “normal” 
8. Fueling and Throttle Response: Last, but not least is my take on the seemingly ever present gripe about the modes/throttle notchiness. It seems that almost EVERY one of the reviewers are talking about the notchy throttle. I tried all three modes today and I have to tell you, I don’t see an issue here. Yes, “A” mode is very responsive…….so learn to be smooth with the right hand…….problem solved! I did not detect any fueling issues at all and to me, Yamaha hit one out of the park with this setup. I can see where someone with a lot less riding experience might be squeezing the seat with their A$$ cheeks if they tried to ride it in the “A” mode. Let me say it again…..it is VERY responsive but no detectable fueling issues.
All in all, I am really very pleased with the bike so far. For the price that they are selling for, it has got to be one of, if not the best value out there today in the motorcycle world. Yes, it does need some things…..suspension work and maybe some work on the seat, but I have to say that I am very pleased that I bought it and will continue to make improvements with the small things until I’ve got it where I want it. Right now, I’m working on a plan to try and make the shift pattern the GP instead of the standard pattern. This is not really a necessity for most folks, but since my track bike is set up that way, it would be very nice to have the FZ set up identical, so that I don’t have to stop and think……..”OK, which way do I move my foot to downshift or to upshift.” When you get accustomed to the GP shift pattern and it become instinctual, and THEN you get on a bike that is the standard pattern, it’s very easy to “throw a downshift” when you think you are upshifting and trying to pass a car or ??? I’ve done it a couple of time on my ST1300 and it make the rear of the bike all wiggly and stuff.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Thanks Vern. Does your seat man do seats via the mail too? When you have yours done please take profile photos etc and report what you think of it, sounds like the way I'd like to go.

Is it at 100 miles that some riders say they feel a throttle and power difference? Did you? Or maybe it doesn't kick in until the first time the 09 is started after 100 miles.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't notice anything at the 100 mile mark, but honestly, I was riding it very hard all day long. Third gear wheelie at 85 -90 MPH with just a slight hump in the road was all it took. I simply cannot believe how hard this bike pulls....it's incredible.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Absolutely great review, Vern. I concur completely with your evaluation. I've been running mine fairly hard and my overall mileage is 45. I have NO doubt, pussyfooting could approach 50 M.P.G. Totally impressive machine! I will be anxiously awaiting the "gel seat caper".

·
Registered
160 Posts
I thought the seat was really uncomfortable to at first but i got 1k on the bike now and the i think i broke the seat in now it seems much more comfortable i rode 200 miles last night and my rear end was fine how ever my hamstrings not so much...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Nice write up triplehart! Now do you agree with me what I said in the other post where everyone discussed "snatchy throttle" and I said it just was to responsive?

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ride report...........Round #2

I took the bike out again today, with the intention of not only continuing with the break in, but also doing some serious twisty stuff up on Deals Gap. As anyone who has been to the hill knows, lots of traffic, sometime lots of LEO's, and certainly a road to never make a mistake on, which is why I never ride extremely hard up there. I ended up getting some pretty clear and wide open times and proceeded to ramp up the speed a bit as I heated up the tires (Dunlop Q3's for those of you that don't know). I kept pushing it harder and harder once the tires got heated up and was as impressed with the handling and drive out of the corner as I've ever been. All the talk about the front end being "vague feeling", is either someone's imagination, or the tire swap out and setting the suspension did it's job. I'm not telling you that the suspension is up to the same level as my track bike with Ohlins bits in/on it, but this suspension worked very well for me today. Dunlop Q3's set at 30/30 cold pressure and the front fork preload set almost all the way hard....rebound set all the way hard also. The one thing that does need fixin though is the front end dives too much when braking hard into a corner to set your entrance speed. That, can possibly be somewhat corrected with a higher viscosity fork oil though, as there is no compression damping adjustment.

So overall, I am extremely happy with the bike. The motor is an absolute..TORQUE MONSTER! Did I mention that the motor is.......A TORQUE MONSTER! All I can say is OMG, it's just incredible. The suspension needs a bit of work, but to be honest, it is so rideable in it's stock form, that I really don't think it's going to be much of an issue for most folks, unless you weigh enough that you cannot get the preload set to your liking. And if anyone is looking for a sticky street use tire, let me recommend the Q3's......just be willing to run the correct pressures and not that 36 and up psi crap.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did I mention that the ENGINE IS A MONSTER!!! :cool:

·
Registered
611 Posts
Nice info here Vern! Has the seat gotten any better for you? My nether area has gotten used to it now ;P

-BTW, did ya ever get those trailer pics fixed?

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice write up triplehart! Now do you agree with me what I said in the other post where everyone discussed "snatchy throttle" and I said it just was to responsive?
No, I don't think it's too responsive, it just requires a very smooth throttle input in the "A" mode. It's nice to have the "A" mode available if you need/want it, otherwise leave it in "Std"mode and enjoy.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice info here Vern! Has the seat gotten any better for you? My nether area has gotten used to it now ;P

-BTW, did ya ever get those trailer pics fixed?

The seat seems to be a little better but not much. I'll give it a little while before I do anything with it though, as it's not absolutely terrible, just
terrible. I forgot all about the trailer pics....I'll try to remember them this evening and get the link fixed and add some more.

Reactions: FazerKat

·
Registered
38 Posts
No, I don't think it's too responsive, it just requires a very smooth throttle input in the "A" mode. It's nice to have the "A" mode available if you need/want it, otherwise leave it in "Std"mode and enjoy.
Well what I actually meant was is that it wasn't a fuelling issue

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well what I actually meant was is that it wasn't a fuelling issue
Oh, OK...I agree 100%...there is NO fueling issue with this bike. In fact........that motor is A MONSTER! :cool:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts