Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sold my ZX-6R a few years ago. Florida weather was just too hot and humid for me to enjoy riding with PPE. Felt the itch lately and been reading about the FZ-09 for a couple months. The price, looks, and performance were spot on for me. I took the MSF BRC and sport rider course with my last bike. Was originally looking at the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 until I discovered the FZ-09.

Rode about 25 miles home. Was pretty nervous as I haven touched a bike in years. Stalled it a few times and muscle memory had to relearn proper footing placement, clutch friction point, turning, etc. Luckily I rode for about 30 minutes in a small neighborhood with not much traffic along the beach. Oh yea im in Hawaii on Oahu. Limited where I can ride but the weather and beaches make up for it.

After 30 minutes I started getting more comfortable and felt much more at ease. Took some turns, got on the highway, rode through Honolulu.

My butt hurts from the seat. Its not too comfortable. Rode in B mode and throttle was alright. Not twitchy like I keep reading about but I roll on the throttle gently and gradually. Brakes feel fine. Front brake felt looser than my ZX-6r but still very adequate. On my ZX-6r I can let the clutch out with no throttle and never stall. I stalled this bike a few times by not giving it throttle after it began moving.

Suspension felt fine moving the bike from side to side. This isnt a super sport and I dont ride on the track so the suspension didnt bother me.

Overall very pleased with the bike. After the break in period and as I start to regain my experience this will make an excellent pleasure bike for commuting and weekend fun.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the forum.

Lots of 09 riders have said the seat gets more comfortable with time, so see how it goes for you. There are threads here about more comfortable seats, custom ones etc.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the forum.

Lots of 09 riders have said the seat gets more comfortable with time, so see how it goes for you. There are threads here about more comfortable seats, custom ones etc.
I found the seat pretty hard as well. Does it really get more comfortable, or does your butt just get tougher?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I found the seat pretty hard as well. Does it really get more comfortable, or does your butt just get tougher?
I think is a bit of both really... I think by the end of the first full season we will really know the answer. One of my bikes seats really came in after 10K Kms, so I'm hoping the FZ will too. So nice of Yamaha Canada to increase the price of the comfort seat to $275 plus tax... ($317) :(

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Yeah, I need to take breaks anyway.

IMO if you are going to get another seat, don't get the Yamaha one, that would be rewarding bad behavior lol. $ better spent on an after market seat, Sargents etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I found the seat very hard initially too and my rear end hurt quite significantly initially but now, after 1300 miles, I'm so used to it that it feels perfect. Wouldn't even want a softer one so I guess the body just needs to adapt to it.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I noticed that the seat is uncomfortable too. Like V2BOB said, it would benefit from an aftermarket seat. I am curious about the Airhawk since it would be easy to switch between bikes. Actually, the seat feels like a Barcalounger compared to my first bike. It was a 160cc 2-stroke single made in Italy. I kid you not, after my first 180 mile trip, the seat had sagged to the point where I was sitting on the frame. And I was riding 2-up. Talk about pain! It is a wonder I ever got back on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts