Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Vendor
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
copy and pasted from a different forum

ECU Flash by VCYCLENUT - Impression w/Full Akra Ti system

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

.....YES, that is a "Very Glad I Did This".

I was a tad skeptical at first about the "cheaper price thing". However, Dave is one the most informative providers (and quick to respond) of input regarding the ECU Flash for the FZ. Koudos to David!!!!

I've also worked with 2WheelDyno and had my ZX10 trackbike ECU flashed by Nels (awesome dude also, and Nels knows his sh*t).

I was going to use 2WDW for the FZ, however, I thought let's give the $80 route a try with VCYCLENUT, actually ended up being about $180 total after overnighting David the ECU. Overnighted w/FedEx on a Sat afternoon right before last pickup, ECU arrived Monday in David's hands, had the ECU back on Wed (2 days) and hooligan'ed around San Diego Wed night after finishing the bike assembly.
All I could say was a BIG F'n WOW!!! And I couldn't sleep that night.

Even Ted (a terror on one wheel, and owner of Southbay Motorsports) was completely blown away after railing it up and down AutoPark Drive. He'd ridden the FZ in stock mode only....

All in all, the bike is totally transformed for the WAY BETTER. David's ECU/map flash for the carbon Akra works damn good for Ti system (I selected w/silencer removed).

Granted the bike is WAY SMOOTHER now....1 recommendation to try, "unplug the O2 sensor plug from the harness" and tape off the ends. This unplugging will remove that remaining slight bit of abruptness off the throttle. Gas mileage is supposed to decrease "maybe 1 or 2 miles per gallon"?...uhhh big deal.

Again...Koudos to David/VCYCLENUT! He's legit.....and well worth the $100-$200 total spent. Definitely beats $350+ everywhere else (when adding shipping costs).

Cheers,
John

·
Registered
342 Posts
I just got from a spin also.....I also have the ti akra w/carbon map db killer in......chose b mode reduced traction, def good for bad roads and such, std mode smooth, all the power is there just smoother and will still wheelie under a hard twist, a mode quick turn, give it gas it takes off, I will have to get use to the throttle being a 3/4 turn I got to a point and was on the gas hard and nothing was happening, I think I was past the 3/4 mark, only rode for 30mins will take a hooligan ride tomm and hope to dyno later next week.....will post my review tomorrow once I get home......

·
Vendor
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's awesome. I wonder wy he would unplug the O2 sensor though? Seems counterproductive.
He contacted me and felt that from a closed throttle at light throttle applications below 5k was still a little abrupt. Being that's where the o2 sensor is active ,I suggested trying it unplugged and see if it helps. Warning him gas mileage would suffer. He tried it and it did improve

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
That's awesome. I wonder wy he would unplug the O2 sensor though? Seems counterproductive.
Unplugging your O2 sensor help a bit in stop n go traffic but hurt MPG on freeway. I end up putting mine on a switch that I can either use or not use the O2 sensor.

Im at the final stage of tuning the map for the FTune flash. Not as perfect as I would like too but I can deal with it as is now.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Unplugging your O2 sensor help a bit in stop n go traffic but hurt MPG on freeway. I end up putting mine on a switch that I can either use or not use the O2 sensor.
Did you interrupt the black signal wire from the O2 and route it to an on-off switch? And did you leave the two heater wires and power wire connected? I'm asking because I was thinking of doing the same thing.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Did you interrupt the black signal wire from the O2 and route it to an on-off switch? And did you leave the two heater wires and power wire connected? I'm asking because I was thinking of doing the same thing.
Blue wire

I bough some pins/connector for the aux. Circuit plug. Same pins fit the O2 sensor. I actually use an extra connector I had and just unpin the O2 sensor to bypass it. No wire gutting... can be back to stock in minutes.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Blue wire

I bough some pins/connector for the aux. Circuit plug. Same pins fit the O2 sensor. I actually use an extra connector I had and just unpin the O2 sensor to bypass it. No wire gutting... can be back to stock in minutes.
Ok I'm confused. In a previous post in this thread you said you use an on-off switch to disable-enable the o2 sensor. Are you using an on off switch or are you just unplugging the o2 sensor at the connector???

With an on off switch....I could enable disable on the fly. Having to stop and disconnect the connector doesn't provide the same comparison.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I used to unplug it but it was a PITA all the time. Now I bypass the blue wire to a on/off switch that I can switch as I please...

Don't mind the other 2 buttons, that to shut the shiftlights iff and reset it.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Marthy...I see now. That's cool. The FZ09 has a TWO wire O2 sensor? My FZ07 is FOUR wire. One hot...one signal...and two heater wires.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts