Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,
Eager and happy to be here!

I should be getting my FZ-09 this week, or next one.
I have a question regarding the first oil change.

I have never owned a new bike, so I am not sure about the break-in period schedule.

Yet, I read somewhere (not sure if in this forum, or another), that a guy's first 100mi oil change looked way dirtier than his 1,000mi change.
So, when should I do my first oil change?
100 miles? More?

Will also be buying the Service Manual ASAP.
Thank you!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the super-fast reply Doug!!
Reading your link now...
:)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I did my first at around 300 then switched to synthetic at about 1100.
Thanks for the info... I am eager to get started!!

Wow man... I... I am convinced.
I mean... his arguments make sense.
I am going to call up the dealer tomorrow, and talk with the mechanic that assembles the bike.
Ask him not to fire it up for nothing.

I will do this myself when I'm ready for the break-in procedure above.

From that link:
3 more words on break- in:
NO SYNTHETIC OIL !!

Use Valvoline, Halvoline, or similar 10 w 40 Petroleum Car Oil for at least
2 full days of hard racing or 1,500 miles of street riding / driving.
After that use your favorite brand of oil.
Ok, I have a question:
Petroleum Car Oil??

I thought that car oil would work fine on a motorcycle engine, yet the clutch would messed-up because of the "friction additives" the car oil does NOT have?
Or should I go with the Shell Rotella T6? (which is full synthetic)

I think I should also order two or three oil filters for her tonight... anybody got the part number?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I thought that car oil would work fine on a motorcycle engine, yet the clutch would messed-up because of the "friction additives" the car oil does NOT have?
the friction additives in 'energy conserving' marked car oils can cause clutch slip so it's best to stay away from these. look for the presence of 'energy conserving' on the api marking on the label. fwiw, it's only the thinner oils that are energy conserving, e.g. 0w30, 5w30, etc. i've never seen a 10w40 or 20w50 marked as energy conserving.

what the api marking looks like:

Or should I go with the Shell Rotella T6? (which is full synthetic
rotella's an excellent choice. i have some rotella t 15w40 non-synth waiting for the first oil change, and eventually will switch to t6.

rotella carries the jaso ma certification which means it's passed tests for suitability in wet clutch applications, so no worries about clutch slip.

I think I should also order two or three oil filters for her tonight... anybody got the part number?
5GH-13440-50-00. there are good aftermarket alternatives as well, just verify the dimensions first as some of them are a bit taller than the yamaha oem which is about 2" tall.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Dang bobby,
Thank you!

This community you guys have going on here rocks!!
I can't wait to get my FZ-09!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts