Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

Registered
...always storing it at "zero" or lowest setting able to. At least that's what I was taught everytime I had to get my wrenches calibration checked and certified.
Lowest setting, yes.
Zero, no (that is what I used to do as well). Last year I did a lot of research getting a higher end torque wrench for smaller stuff like valve covers, and ran into this:
...when storing a torque wrench for an extended period of time, users should always wind it down to the minimum scale setting and never to zero.

A fully loaded torque wrench, left in storage for a long period, can cause a set in the spring, causing it to weaken over time. On the other end of the scale, by completely off-loading the spring, other components within the wrench may move fractionally relative to each other. When you reapply spring compression the orientation of these components can change, therefore affecting accuracy. All in all, it is better to leave a bit of compression in the spring while in storage.

I went down that rabbit hole when I was reading reviews trying to decide between several torque wrenches, finding people that had issues that the factory said was due to completely unloading the torque wrench. You would think they would simply design the tool to unload to lowest setting rather than zero, but they don't.

Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
3. At the end of each day, or when it is not used, the torque wrench should be reset to the lowest value, to release the string pressure.
馃槈

Registered
2016 xsr 900
What, like, are they trying to achieve with that? I don't understand at all is there a link there?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
The only thing I can think of is 'building up' a profile so that it can later be used to scam someone. A major red flag is if the first post is in the for sale forum right? Imagine if that scammer could have a bot posting random maybe legit stuff for a couple of months, then jump in an post a used seat or something. It would look a lot more reasonable and someone might send em a few hundred dollars for an item that doesn't exist.
Other than that no idea what anyone could gain from something like this.....

Registered
The only thing I can think of is 'building up' a profile so that it can later be used to scam someone. A major red flag is if the first post is in the for sale forum right? Imagine if that scammer could have a bot posting random maybe legit stuff for a couple of months, then jump in an post a used seat or something. It would look a lot more reasonable and someone might send em a few hundred dollars for an item that doesn't exist.
Other than that no idea what anyone could gain from something like this.....
Makes sense. Let's please report this bot. How do we do that

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Registered
2016 xsr 900
Click the 3 little dots above the post and then click 'report' :

Reactions: sytheii

Registered
You鈥檙e the kind of guy that would shove the axle through the wheel, and not even have the common courtesy to use grease!

Registered
Discussion Starter #35
How to use torque wrenches ?

1. A torque wrench is a tightening tool. It is a very sensitive and precise tightening tool, and should never been used to loosen bolts.
  2. Handle your torque wrench as carefully as you treat a measurement instrument! The tool should always be stowed in its storage box and protected from any shock.
  3. At the end of each day, or when it is not used, the torque wrench should be reset to the lowest value, to release the string pressure.
  4. Only use one hand with a fluent and continuous move. Most of the torque wrenches have a mark on the handle, this is to indicate where to apply pressure.
  5. Do not use an extension on the handle. This would impair the set value in being correctly signaled.
  6. A torque wrench prevents but do not avoid over tightening! When the required torque is reached, the torque control system of the wrench will be "activated", and the operator will hear a clear click sound. If you hear this "click" without moving the wrench at first, it means that the application has already been over tightened. The good practice here is to start over : Loosen the bolt first, tighten with an adapted tool and finish with the torque wrench to reach the correct and safe torque.
  7. Tool Maintenance : As a high precision tool, a torque wrench needs to be re-calibrated on a regular frequency, and it's the tool's user responsibility. At Chicago Pneumatic, we recommend a yearly tool re-calibration or every 5000 cycles, at an official service center. Not to mention that if the tool has being dropped or damaged, it must be sent to service immediately. Did you know that you can change the square drive of the torque wrench without changing the tool?
I鈥檓 a mechanic I know this. I was checking the torque on the loosen side. I wouldn鈥檛 risk tightening it more to check the torque lol It鈥檚 only bad to loosen something with a torque wrench once it has clicked and you push more.

Registered
I鈥檓 a mechanic I know this. I was checking the torque on the loosen side. I wouldn鈥檛 risk tightening it more to check the torque lol It鈥檚 only bad to loosen something with a torque wrench once it has clicked and you push more.

I wasn't going to speculate one way or the other, but I figured that's what you meant. I've done that myself, to see just how tight something was. Obviously, you don't continue to crank on the thing after it's clicked...

Registered
Discussion Starter #38
His point was not to use a torque wrench to loosen anything.
I鈥檝e never had a problem. I used the breaker bar anyway. I鈥檝e tightened my wheel on my zx6r to 90ftlbs then loosen something that was 30ftlbs. It鈥檚 still in calibration. So yup.

Registered
Discussion Starter #39
I wasn't going to speculate one way or the other, but I figured that's what you meant. I've done that myself, to see just how tight something was. Obviously, you don't continue to crank on the thing after it's clicked...
Yes. Hey I was wondering is the intake tube behind the radiator?

Registered
Right now I鈥檓 trying to reverse it with my torque wrench it clicked on 44 pounds it clicked on 50 and now it鈥檚 clicking on 60!!?? What the F#@%! is wrong with Yamaha?? I鈥檓 just gonna take it into the dealer cause I don鈥檛 wanna mess anything up. That bolt is not budging.
From your original post it appears you are removing with torque wrench, not breaker bar

21 - 40 of 44 Posts