Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I’m trying to reverse it with my torque wrench it clicked on 44 pounds it clicked on 50 and now it’s clicking on 60!!?? What the F#@%! is wrong with Yamaha?? I’m just gonna take it into the dealer cause I don’t wanna mess anything up. That bolt is not budging.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
1,886 Posts
Is your engine warm?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s max now it’s clicking at 100 foot pounds this is literally ridiculous.
Is your engine warm?
Yes it’s warm. My torque wrench just clicked at 100 foot pounds I think there’s something wrong I’m just gonna take it in.

·
Registered
231 Posts
It’s max now it’s clicking at 100 foot pounds this is literally ridiculous.

Yes it’s warm. My torque wrench just clicked at 100 foot pounds I think there’s something wrong I’m just gonna take it in.
Username checks out. Seriously tho what the hell that's a lotta juice.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Username checks out. Seriously tho what the hell that's a lotta juice.

Yeah dude my hearts beating I hate it things brand new I’ve only owned Kawasaki‘s and I’ve never had a problem this is my first Yamaha.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
1,886 Posts
See my reply in your other thread where you asked this question, then delete this thread. My answer will explain why.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
I never use a torque wrench to undo things, use a ratchet or power bar.

·
Registered
544 Posts
There is absolutely no way that bolt was torqued to 100 ft-lbs. The aluminum threads would strip long before 100 ft-lbs. Either the torque wrench is defective or it's user error...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is absolutely no way that bolt was torqued to 100 ft-lbs. The aluminum threads would strip long before 100 ft-lbs. Either the torque wrench is defective or it's user error...

The washer was seized against the aluminum almost like it was kind of welded that’s why. I have a snap on torque wrench I’m also a car mechanic so I know what I’m doing.

·
Registered
544 Posts
The washer was seized against the aluminum almost like it was kind of welded that’s why. I have a snap on torque wrench I’m also a car mechanic so I know what I’m doing.
So it wasn't torqued to 100 ft-lbs it was welded with rust...I stand by my statement although your problem was not "over torqued by Yamaha"...
Glad you didn't need a new oil pan or need to install a helicoil.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
I think I originally bought my bar along with a bottle of PB Blaster to get an uncooperative 02 sensor of my original 88 vw cabriolet...that stuff is magic.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have a snap on torque wrench I’m also a car mechanic so I know what I’m doing.
How to use torque wrenches ?

1. A torque wrench is a tightening tool. It is a very sensitive and precise tightening tool, and should never been used to loosen bolts.
  2. Handle your torque wrench as carefully as you treat a measurement instrument! The tool should always be stowed in its storage box and protected from any shock.
  3. At the end of each day, or when it is not used, the torque wrench should be reset to the lowest value, to release the string pressure.
  4. Only use one hand with a fluent and continuous move. Most of the torque wrenches have a mark on the handle, this is to indicate where to apply pressure.
  5. Do not use an extension on the handle. This would impair the set value in being correctly signaled.
  6. A torque wrench prevents but do not avoid over tightening! When the required torque is reached, the torque control system of the wrench will be "activated", and the operator will hear a clear click sound. If you hear this "click" without moving the wrench at first, it means that the application has already been over tightened. The good practice here is to start over : Loosen the bolt first, tighten with an adapted tool and finish with the torque wrench to reach the correct and safe torque.
  7. Tool Maintenance : As a high precision tool, a torque wrench needs to be re-calibrated on a regular frequency, and it's the tool's user responsibility. At Chicago Pneumatic, we recommend a yearly tool re-calibration or every 5000 cycles, at an official service center. Not to mention that if the tool has being dropped or damaged, it must be sent to service immediately. Did you know that you can change the square drive of the torque wrench without changing the tool?

·
Registered
231 Posts

1. A torque wrench is a tightening tool. It is a very sensitive and precise tightening tool, and should never been used to loosen bolts.
  2. Handle your torque wrench as carefully as you treat a measurement instrument! The tool should always be stowed in its storage box and protected from any shock.
  3. At the end of each day, or when it is not used, the torque wrench should be reset to the lowest value, to release the string pressure.
  4. Only use one hand with a fluent and continuous move. Most of the torque wrenches have a mark on the handle, this is to indicate where to apply pressure.
  5. Do not use an extension on the handle. This would impair the set value in being correctly signaled.
  6. A torque wrench prevents but do not avoid over tightening! When the required torque is reached, the torque control system of the wrench will be "activated", and the operator will hear a clear click sound. If you hear this "click" without moving the wrench at first, it means that the application has already been over tightened. The good practice here is to start over : Loosen the bolt first, tighten with an adapted tool and finish with the torque wrench to reach the correct and safe torque.
  7. Tool Maintenance : As a high precision tool, a torque wrench needs to be re-calibrated on a regular frequency, and it's the tool's user responsibility. At Chicago Pneumatic, we recommend a yearly tool re-calibration or every 5000 cycles, at an official service center. Not to mention that if the tool has being dropped or damaged, it must be sent to service immediately. Did you know that you can change the square drive of the torque wrench without changing the tool?
Many things i did not know!

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
617 Posts

One hand? Bwahahaha guess they have never had to torque leaf spring u-bolts. Number 7 left out always storing it at "zero" or lowest setting able to. At least that's what I was taught everytime I had to get my wrenches calibration checked and certified.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts