Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed the oil to my bike and all I have to report is that it's the easiest oil change I've ever done on a vehicle.
Oil came out clean but a little milky, and the filter was super easy to reach and the oil doesn't drip all over the bike keeping it clean through the process. :)
I used a K&N filter <KN-204>, because the store didn't carry the mobil1 filter I wanted <m1mc-134>, but if you can, I recommend you get it.
The manual says the bike takes 2.85 US qts, I ended up putting nearly the whole third.
Also, the little oil window, when should it be checked? when the motorcycle is straight? or on the kick stand?
I also lubbed the chain using the motul cleaner and oil lubbe, seems to be easier than in my old bike :D

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Oil checked when MC is standing straight. I use the Motul products as well. Work great.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
After an oil change, start the bike and let it idle for a few minutes. Turn it off and wait about 5 minutes, so that the oil has a chance to drain back into the oil pan. Then balance the bike straight up and down and check the oil level in the sight glass.

My FZ09 likes the oil level near the top of the window or it will give me a low oil level light (the oil light on the instruments).

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After an oil change, start the bike and let it idle for a few minutes. Turn it off and wait about 5 minutes, so that the oil has a chance to drain back into the oil pan. Then balance the bike straight up and down and check the oil level in the sight glass.

My FZ09 likes the oil level near the top of the window or it will give me a low oil level light (the oil light on the instruments).
Cool, that's what I did intrinsically, glad I guessed correctly. :)

·
Registered
852 Posts
I didn't do the first change until 670 miles. After seeing what came out I wish I had done it so much sooner. It looked like a freshly opened can of bronze paint.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Wow, that's good to hear. My first ride after the first oil change my oil light came on for about 12-15 seconds when I braked hard from 90+ mpg and made a sharp right turn then uphill. The oil line was at about 40% of the window. I added some more and it hasn't happened since.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Wow, that's good to hear. My first ride after the first oil change my oil light came on for about 12-15 seconds when I braked hard from 90+ mpg and made a sharp right turn then uphill. The oil line was at about 40% of the window. I added some more and it hasn't happened since.
Yes for some reason Yamaha's oil light on the FZ1s, R1s, FZ8 and FZ09 (and probably many more bikes) is actually detecting an oil LEVEL in the oil sump and not the oil PRESSURE.

Oil pressure is what is more important IMO.

Of course if your oil is too low you will have low oil pressure fairly quickly so the low oil level gives you a earlier warning than the low oil pressure.

BUT, if you have an oil pump failure, your oil level light would never tell you there was a problem and your first indication would be nasty ugly sounds coming out of the engine as it ground up all its bearing surfaces... and then probably locked up.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't do the first change until 670 miles. After seeing what came out I wish I had done it so much sooner. It looked like a freshly opened can of bronze paint.
Were you riding it hard? I barely ever took it past 6k rpm. Maybe a good 10 to 20 times total and only to pass and never stayed up there long. It was hard not to push her when you know she has all that grunt up there...
The Oil came out milky but not shiny.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I wouldn't say hard. But I didn't baby her. I basically rode her as if she had been broken in. The only thing I made sure of is that I did follow the rules on not holding her at any one RPM level for too long.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Be sure to check out the other threads on this. There are some very enlightening comments on filter quality. And not at all flattering regarding K&N.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts