Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well folks, the dealer delivered my FZ09 this afternoon. It was cold (1C) here in southern Ontario today, but not cold enough to keep me from going for a little spin. I had to put some kilometers on 'er before the snow arrived...again. So I dressed warmly, and took one for the team.

It was glorious!!! First ride of the season an' all.

I didn't find the throttle to be "snatchy" at all, but the cable play, along with the responsiveness of this mill, needed just a little work. I found that I could twist the throttle a fair bit before the gas hit the motor...then it hit all at once. Whadda rush! Also, while blipping the throttle on the downshifts I wasn't increasing the revs any at all. I adjusted the cable pull, the adjuster is just above the headlight, and that sorted out the cable slack. Throttle control is more refined and predictable now. So first things first new owners, adjust the throttle cable slack, no tools are required. I added about four or five full turns on the adjuster. Much better throttle control and blipping on downshifts actually helps match the motor rpm's to the road speed.

The other thing I noticed, and it caused quite a few missed shifts, is that it seems there is a long throw between gears, at least compared to my Thruxton. It could be me just being a little lazy, and I know a couple of times I wasn't letting the shift lever return completely to it's resting position. Things seem to get better as I got used to it but I'll hold off judgement until I can do a side-by-side comparison with the other bikes in the garage.

To be honest this bike behaved very well, and I thoroughly enjoyed every moment on the road today, as short as my time was.

I didn't get to thrash it through the twisties, so I can't comment on the suspension. I didn't adjust anything, and it felt fine for my 215 lb ass.

If you're reading this, and thinking of buying one of these things, I say go ahead, you'll not be disappointed.

Keep 'er lit, and keep 'er between the hedges.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Glad you like it!

My impression of the transmission is that it's very quick shifting. The whole operation from disengage to engage feels instantaneous.

At 215, I'm sure you'll want to speak with someone like Stoltec Moto to get the legs dialed in. Then it'll get real fun.

You rode in Ontario, Canada today. I am not worthy!

Actually I guess 1C isn't too bad, right? I've ridden in the Smokies below freezing. It's all about the motivation. :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
......My impression of the transmission is that it's very quick shifting. The whole operation from disengage to engage feels instantaneous.........
It could be a matter of the bike I'm familiar with, or because it was my first ride of the season. My shifting does tend to be lazy early in the season and until I gain some muscle memory.

·
Registered
474 Posts
The other thing I noticed, and it caused quite a few missed shifts, is that it seems there is a long throw between gears, at least compared to my Thruxton. It could be me just being a little lazy, and I know a couple of times I wasn't letting the shift lever return completely to it's resting position. Things seem to get better as I got used to it but I'll hold off judgement until I can do a side-by-side comparison with the other bikes in the garage.
First off - Congrats on the delivery and first ride! I had a similar issue with the shift lever and ended up lowering it about 1/4 " which made a world of difference for me. I use thin TCX-X-rap shoes.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Congratulations on your new FZ-09 and getting out to ride in some cool temps! I really need to get out there soon myself, but thanks for leading the way.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'd say, either the tranny, your foot, or both, were frozen! :laughing4:

Mike

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
.......I had a similar issue with the shift lever and ended up lowering it about 1/4 " which made a world of difference for me.......
Yeah, I think I need to adjust the gear shifter some, as Bob had suggested too.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd say, either the tranny, your foot, or both, were frozen! :laughing4:
You'd be surprised Mike, if you dress for the weather it's really not that bad. We just have to be aware of the cold tyres, cold pavement and the sand/gravel residue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts