Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had the bike for about 2 weeks now, and after logging about 450 miles I can say that this bike is a hoot! There's bugs I'm working through, such as throttle control - going from carbureted, basically 30-40 year old technology to fuel injection is a real wake up call and is taking some getting used to. There's definitely a fine line in deceleration between slowing down and feeling like you'll face plant into the handlebars. I'm sure a large portion of that is me, but the popping that goes along with it makes me believe the ECU map will be the next upgrade.
I don't have much to complain about with the suspension. It is definitely soft in the front. I noticed a lot of fork dive when heavy braking.
I have graduated just a little from B-mode to standard. I did that by accident really, when I forgot to switch before taking off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Congratulations.............!!!!

But don't feel rushed to graduate into A mode -- You're smarter than that.:)

Reactions: River and MrsZR7

·
Registered
202 Posts
A mode or the bike is parked here :rolleyes: Seriously though this bike can be extremely unforgiving, be mindful of that and youll be fine.

Reactions: MrsZR7

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Reactions: MrsZR7

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Taking all the slack out of the throttle cable with the barrel adjuster will go a long way to curing the abrupt throttle.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Almost have to these days! We rode to Bridal Veil Falls and Highlands, NC then back. That was a long ride from our cabin in Tellico Plains, but while coming back to the cabin, three vehicles veered into my lane, about 50 or so miles apart. I had enough time to recover from being rattled about one incident when the next one happened.

·
Registered
15 Posts
450 miles in 3 weeks, I'm jealous. I've had mine 2 weeks and have only logged 28 miles. Is there really a huge difference between STD and "A" mode? I keep reading about the touchy throttle control but I haven't noticed it. The bike is a blast to ride, enjoy, be safe.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
... I don't have much to complain about with the suspension. It is definitely soft in the front. I noticed a lot of fork dive when heavy braking.
Under severe braking you can make it chatter like dribbling a basketball... but I don't recommend it!
The change in throttle response was an eye opener for me, also coming from carb bikes. I'm one of the few who really likes the engine braking. I think learning to control it has made me a better rider... very tricky to be smooth on bumpy roads!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Under severe braking you can make it chatter like dribbling a basketball... but I don't recommend it!
The change in throttle response was an eye opener for me, also coming from carb bikes. I'm one of the few who really likes the engine braking. I think learning to control it has made me a better rider... very tricky to be smooth on bumpy roads!
Coming from a Suzuki GSX-R, I don't find the engine braking to be enough for my liking - at least in first gear, but mine is the '15 with the new factory tune.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I tend to use engine braking on the downhill twisties.
Having better brakes now (compared to my ZR-7) is also a lot to get used to. I'm learning the art of feathering the front brake into some of the turns.

·
Registered
355 Posts
What engine braking?

Oh, BTW... my last scooter was a VTR1000F. 1000cc V-twin. Might have something to do with it. ;-)

·
Registered
71 Posts
What engine braking?

Oh, BTW... my last scooter was a VTR1000F. 1000cc V-twin. Might have something to do with it. ;-)
Yeah I too was a little surprised at how little engine braking there is even compared to my 650 V-Strom. Even being a baby V, it had quite a lot of engine braking. I found myself coming into corners a little too quick on the FZ unless I pair downshifts with braking.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I too was a little surprised at how little engine braking there is even compared to my 650 V-Strom. Even being a baby V, it had quite a lot of engine braking. I found myself coming into corners a little too quick on the FZ unless I pair downshifts with braking.
Well it goes from some engine braking to nearly being on your face.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts