Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
The exhaust looks like it is pretty restricted where they have all of the heat shielding. I wonder if they choke down the diameter of the exhaust through there. If so, I think that a smooth path for the spent gasses to get out would be the first thing I would do! I wonder if they have released a few bikes to aftermarket vendors for R&D yet?!?

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
I obviously have not ridden one yet (Duh), but the FZ may come with decent suspension for street riding. I have no plans to track the bike, as I already have a dedicated track bike, so most likely, unless the suspension just totally sucks, an exhaust system and Power Commander. Oh, and most likely the Bridgestone tires will have to come off of the bike pretty quickly and a set of the Michelin Power IIIs or the other new one that I can' think of the name of at the present time.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
The exhaust looks like it is pretty restricted where they have all of the heat shielding. I wonder if they choke down the diameter of the exhaust through there.
yeah, that's pretty normal for a stock exhaust - they do have to pass noise regs. also, the catalytic converter robs a few horses. from the videos i've seen though, the stock exhaust seems to have a bit of a bark to it.

personally, i prefer stealth so the stock exhaust stays. first mod will probably be a steering damper.

·
Registered
601 Posts
The most important for me is always suspension--forks, rear shock, springs upgrade--with the static sag and rider height dialed in properly. In addition to the more planted handling and the subtle ride, I like the ability to brake harder with a quality setup.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Suspension is probably THE most important mod that can be done to the bike, if you have any plans to ride it to it's capabilities...or close to them. I would have to say that I am certainly spoiled when it comes to suspension, having my track bike with Ohlins fork components in them and an Ohlins rear shock and everything dialed in for my weight with gear on. That makes a bike's handling characteristics like night and day difference when they are correct.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Suspension is probably THE most important mod that can be done to the bike, if you have any plans to ride it to it's capabilities...or close to them. I would have to say that I am certainly spoiled when it comes to suspension, having my track bike with Ohlins fork components in them and an Ohlins rear shock and everything dialed in for my weight with gear on. That makes a bike's handling characteristics like night and day difference when they are correct.
I would agree 100 times. If I was to mod my R1 over again and I would get suspension parts first.

Reactions: triplethreat

·
Registered
151 Posts
I am new to the world of bikes and I am excited to get my hands on the FZ-09 as my first full size bike. I've been on a ZUMA 125 as a daily work commuter through traffic for about 6 months. Anyway, mods will come as I learn more and more about motorcycles.... therefore the first thing is going to simply be a fender kit to get that plate and those lights a little closer to the body of the bike. I can't wait to see what accessories will be offered as soon as the bike is out... I will be looking for an engine guard, slider set and a fly screen. CA has terrible exhaust laws/restrictions but a full exhaust swap is in mind also.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
I have to agree with you...that bike will need a fender eliminator for sure. We may have to be patient though, as accessories and aftermarket stuff might be a while before rolling out.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I have to agree with you...that bike will need a fender eliminator for sure. We may have to be patient though, as accessories and aftermarket stuff might be a while before rolling out.
Aftermarket companies might have a little bit of head start with the accessories sine the MT-09 is a very very very similar bike. I am excited to see what is coming down the pike.

·
Registered
188 Posts
..... the mt 09 is a very simi.......... you think?!?! ;)

i for one shall assume you meant a mt01 or 03 or something??..

or have i completely missed something?

·
Registered
127 Posts
MT09 isn`t a similar bike, it`s the same bike, with an other name in the rest of the world. It will be launched at the same date as here, september-october.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have my eye on the adjustable shorty clutch and brake levers.
Is there anyone near me that would like to perform a little experiment? I am a huge fan of the Pazzo Racing levers. I have a pair of OEM replacement levers for the FZ1 (FZ6, FZ6, and FZ8 also). If the levers fit, that would mean that the Pazzo levers from those bikes would fit. Just trying to help out the community here!!

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Is there anyone near me that would like to perform a little experiment? I am a huge fan of the Pazzo Racing levers. I have a pair of OEM replacement levers for the FZ1 (FZ6, FZ6, and FZ8 also). If the levers fit, that would mean that the Pazzo levers from those bikes would fit. Just trying to help out the community here!!
I have Pazzo knockoffs. I will let you know if they work, if not I will put them on my wife's R6S.

·
Registered
336 Posts
yeah, that's pretty normal for a stock exhaust - they do have to pass noise regs. also, the catalytic converter robs a few horses. from the videos i've seen though, the stock exhaust seems to have a bit of a bark to it.

personally, i prefer stealth so the stock exhaust stays. first mod will probably be a steering damper.
What type of Steering Damper are you going to put on your fz09? I agree, my first mod will be steering damper, and suspension along with tail chop in round one. If anyone has done a steering damper on their fz09 please chime in on what you did.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts