·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Welcome.

Suspension, suspension, suspension.:cool:

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
Steve nailed it ^^^^^^^^ No matter how good a bike looks, if it doesn't handle well, it isn't as much fun.

Reactions: Steve101

·
Registered
137 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
+1 suspension

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Most importantly, welcome and congratulations. Next, post some pictures, so we can all admire your new beast.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Polish the frame, swing arm and wheels...................... J/K. Suspension upgrades will have the biggest impact on improving the bike.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
rider training, then suspension

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
fender eliminator

I think this one is a Must have.....but in my book goes on ASAP, almost doesn't deserve mention....Just do it...:cool:

Reactions: FZ09R

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'll echo earlier posts and go with suspension, but before purchasing all new suspension make sure you set up your stock suspension to fit your weight. Research your upgrades and make sure you buy parts that fit your riding style. My biggest thing is comfort and being able to feel confident is all tied into suspension and comfort.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
First and foremost and cheapest upgrades to start with????

I say and always say, protect the bike first, axle sliders, frame sliders, case guards, and rad guard. You should be able to buy all those items for under $300, especially if you shop around and look for deals.

If you haven't already done it, a "good" motorcycle ridingr safety course to break bad habits and start new good habits. The riding course alone should save you money on your insurance for many years to come.

Then set up the stock suspension and see if that is good enough for you, before you sink up too a couple grand into after market suspension. I mention this because a lot of people find the suspension works just fine for what they use the bike for, or can hold off for a while as they get use to the bike and get it broken in properly. Plus if you take your time, there are some money saving upgrades out there which won't break the bank. The big thing is not over buying expensive upgrades that you will never really use anyways.

And riding gear of course.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Suspension upgrades can be done step by step of improvements as your skills and desire and budget allow.

Easy, cheap suspension adjustment is proper weight fork springs and oil - about $120 in parts, takes a couple hours to do or take the forks to a suspension shop and they can do it in about 1/2 hour

Rear suspension, the stock shock is 25 year old design. The ZX6RR/ZX10 shocks can be found for about $100, install the stock spring or another spring if the stock one is not correct for you.

As you grow you can add new fork cartridges, aftermarket shock for big bucks

But for most street riders the proper fork springs and oil and the ZX6RR/10 shock will suffice quite nicely.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts