Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys I finally got out for my first long ride on the MT-09 at a quite decent pace with many other bikes... Round trip it was about 200km and the bike has 500km on the clock now.

Initial impressions of the bike are still very good and I managed 196km before the reserve fuel light came on which I thought was quite good given the pace I was doing.

I have noticed a few things on the bike already that I thought I would summarise for y'all quickly :)

- Clutch noise is quite loud and felt through the bike
- Has quite a lot of chatter from the chain / driveline at low speeds
- Seat is ridiculously hard, I try sliding up the back of the seat to take the pressure off lol
- Cold starts are still an issue sometimes
- Rear shock needs ALOT of work, not sure what it is yet but the bike just gets so unsettled over ruts in the road or potholes and throws the whole thing off line
- Rear brake line has started to rub the paint off the swingarm already where it pivots, going to put some tape under it to keep it pretty and stop it rubbing
- Power from the engine is obviously fantastic, though I am tending to run it in B mode when playing around as this throttle is just so abrupt in the on/off transition it is hard to be smooth with the power application I am finding especially mid corner if you roll off

I have already put 2 coats of jetseal on the tank and wheels and boy it makes cleaning the wheels so much faster now!

Here are some pics of my baby:

Epic Photos - Australia

·
Registered
136 Posts
Aokman-
Best pics of the orange yet! Incredibly good!
I've read of others having clutch issues. Mine seems to work just fine with no noise, so I'm guessing it is NOT normal.
Don't forget, If you take her to have it checked, let us know the prognosis.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I just looked up Jetseal and found this. I used Cilajet and lost confidence in it, glad you shared that. Here is a mega test that I found:

The Biggest Sealant Test ever! - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum

The following held up the best:

After 4 months, the following sealants are still protecting the paintwork:

Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection
Chemical Guys: M-Seal, Jetseal 109, Speed Amor
Klasse AIO and Sealant Glaze
Hi Temp Paste
Zaino AIO, Z2 and Z5
Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant.

·
Registered
663 Posts
First orange I've seen. Of course it is an international "MT" model. Come on Yamaha, send some stateside. Sound like a good ride. Thanks for the review without "sugarcoating" any of the minor irritants. It sounds like most of those can be worked out one way or another.

I'm not sure where you're riding down there. I spent some time in Queensland, and would worry about those darn cane toads on the road. They seem like a bit of a riding hazard. Cheers mate!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just looked up Jetseal and found this. I used Cilajet and lost confidence in it, glad you shared that. Here is a mega test that I found:

The Biggest Sealant Test ever! - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum

The following held up the best:

After 4 months, the following sealants are still protecting the paintwork:

Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection
Chemical Guys: M-Seal, Jetseal 109, Speed Amor
Klasse AIO and Sealant Glaze
Hi Temp Paste
Zaino AIO, Z2 and Z5
Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant.
The Jetseal 109 is certainly good however it is a bit of a pain to apply I found. Once its on though its amazing, used to get tons of grease flinging off the chain on the rear rim that I would have to scrub off now I just it a quick wipe and it all comes off. I have used Zaino Clear seal in the past aswell and that was good also.

First orange I've seen. Of course it is an international "MT" model. Come on Yamaha, send some stateside. Sound like a good ride. Thanks for the review without "sugarcoating" any of the minor irritants. It sounds like most of those can be worked out one way or another.

I'm not sure where you're riding down there. I spent some time in Queensland, and would worry about those darn cane toads on the road. They seem like a bit of a riding hazard. Cheers mate!
No cane toads to worry about down here :) just crap drivers of course... Yeah most of it can be worked out, its a dam good first attempt by Yamaha and its so close to being on the money.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also another thing I forgot to mention as I just brimmed the tank again today for another ride.

192km to reserve light. Rode it to 202km and the bike took 10.5lt so looks like the reserve light comes on around 10lt with 4lt left in the tank.

Bike was averaging around 5lt/100km

Fuel gauge is very accurate also, counts down properly and progressively. Very impressive :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Great write up and pictures. I noticed in the photos that there is no fender, and it has been removed, looks incredible that way, I was curious what you did in regards to signals.

·
Registered
364 Posts
The fender is there. Because it's black, it blends into the background.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Thanks for the report. A cheap alternative is using a rubber seat cushion called an Air Hawk. I had one left over from another bike and result is all-day comfort.

airhawk_seat.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts