Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at americade Friday and Saturday and got to try out the FZ-09 for the first time. first impressions were disappointing, it would definitely need some upgrades to make it perfect.

the throttle was as if it was lagging behind my input in B-mode and standard. A-mode did not have the smooth linear roll on that I have experienced with other fuel injection systems, let alone other throttle by wire systems that I rode that day. the rear suspension wallowed in the turns, but the front seemed ok from the short ride i got on it. it had plenty of power and actually brought the front end up on me in second gear when I gave it a little too much throttle:D. also, the seat seemed to slope a little too far forward for me. that's all I have to complain about on the FZ-09, and it all can be taken care of easily enough, just tack another $1300 to the price tag.

however, I did ride a bike that I only had two things to complaint about, the ninja 1000. the seat had too much slope to it, and the rear brake seemed weak. the suspension worked perfectly for me(6' 1" 240lb) and it had awesome power everywhere in the rev range while the throttle was very linear and smooth. this was my favorite bike that I rode up at americade out of the 8 that I tried, with the versys being a close second to the V-strom 1000's 3rd(V-strom was just too heavy).

for me, the FZ-09 wasn't in the top 3 I rode between the two days I was up there because I don't feel like it has the whole package. it does have a VERY good engine, but I don't buy something based on an engine alone. i now know that i don't want the FZ-09 and i think will be looking for a used ninja 1000 for the same price as the FZ-09.

i really wanted to love the FZ-09, but i don't want to buy the bike with the throttle being the way it is. if there was a sure fire way to get the throttle to work like it should, i might consider it, but needing the suspension re-worked on a showroom bike is out of the question for me. the ninja handled perfectly without any adjustments required. i know that every bike cant be setup for every single person right off the bat, but the FZ would need to much for me to consider it.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
At 240 lbs, suspension upgrades are not something that you might have to do, they are something that you WILL have to do on the FZ09. As far as the throttle issue goes, a reflash from Stoltec Moto will solve that and is very inexpensive too......I'm just sayin'

And BTW, there is no such thing in the motorcycle world that is..."the whole package".

Reactions: VERSYS8

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's one particular reason why I liked the ninja 1000, it didn't need any suspension work, it worked perfect for me the way it was. the seat is something that any bike I get will need upgraded, except for maybe an fjr's seat. as for the throttle, I would need to ride one with that flash to make absolutely sure that it works the way I want it to(not lagging or twitchy).

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Did you ride a Cbr1000r?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Good luck with whatever bike you decide to purchase. I love my bike and have experienced none of the issues you are mentioning and this has been my main bike for a few months and hundreds of miles. And, mine is stock and I have no plans on upgrading anything.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
actually didn't get to ride any Hondas as the Honda demo rides were all booked by 10:00am on Saturday. they didn't have many sport bikes at the Honda tent, but I would like to try that cbr1000r.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
What Vern said. And there isn't one bike that's for everyone. To me the Ninja 1000 has too many pounds, cylinders, and clothes.

One of the things every rider shopping for a bike has to decide for her/his self is how much $ you are willing to spend on mods and accessories. I'm willing to spend a significant amount, to both make it way I want it and functionally unique. I'll have about $3k added to my 09 (and still have the stock exhaust lol) but I'm fine with that, I picked the 09 for the engine, chassis (other than suspension) and nakedness.

If I was going to buy a new bike with a MSRP under $11k for my sport riding and limit myself to no mods bigger than fork springs etc I wouldn't get a 09. Maybe a Triumph Street 675 R.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
To me the Ninja 1000 has too many pounds, cylinders, and clothes.
[/QUOTE]

+1.

I sold a 2011 Ninja 1000 to get the FZ09 for the above reasons. I spent around 2k to upgrade the seat, suspension, and add a little bling.

The Ninja was a bullet but after a couple of hours in the saddle my hands and arms would ache from the forward ergos. I can ride the FZ all day and not hurt. The stock seat on the Ninja was terrible. I would be standing on the pegs after only 20 minutes then stop and call 911 for the fire dept to come and hose down my ass to put the fire out.

I have zero regrets making the switch. But to each his own.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm not sure what people expect the bike to be, I think it works just as Yamaha intended. I honestly get along just fine with the throttle 99.9% of the time and if it was a problem I would send it off and it would be fixed for $125. As far as the suspension, if you want something that feels like a sport bike you had better buy one of those. They are all over 10-12k new btw. You could also get the suspension to a more than acceptable level for around $500.

If I was in the market for something with the whole package out of the box I'd buy a 1290 Super Duke, but I am not going to drop 16k on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm not sure what people expect the bike to be, I think it works just as Yamaha intended. I honestly get along just fine with the throttle 99.9% of the time and if it was a problem I would send it off and it would be fixed for $125. As far as the suspension, if you want something that feels like a sport bike you had better buy one of those. They are all over 10-12k new btw. You could also get the suspension to a more than acceptable level for around $500.

If I was in the market for something with the whole package out of the box I'd buy a 1290 Super Duke, but I am not going to drop 16k on a motorcycle.
This.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
957 Posts
Yamaha cut a lot of corners to be able to offer up a 105-115 horsepower (depending on whose figures you believe) 850cc triple for a price that you normally can only find ~65-70 horsepower 650cc twins. Nobody here will deny corners were cut. Do I regret buying my FZ? Not in the least. I upgraded the suspension with a Penske shock and better springs + oil up front, and I'm sending the ECU off to Stoltec to be flashed eventually. After that I will have what, for me, is basically the perfect bike.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Brvt1000, I think of a bike like the 09 as a blank slate, a base line, aka a standard bike. If a owner likes it close to stock, great. Riders want a different mixes of characteristics in a bike, sometimes it is hard to find a stock bike that fits your mix, plus is dependable, has a wide dealer network, parts and accessories availability, etc.

I'll have something like $3k added to my 09, suspension, GPR stabilize, clubmans, flash etc. I picked the 09 for it's engine, chassis (not including the suspension) and nakedness. I knew before I bought it what I'd be changing.

And I'm not saying Yamaha should have made the 09 the way I'm setting it up, they did the right thing giving it high bars and a low price, sales figures show that. It would have been great for me if there was also a naked 09 R version from Yamaha for $10k, but there isn't, and I enjoy putting my own together.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Different strokes for different folks...glad you felt a connection with the Kawi.

Since it has been mentioned...Has anybody here owned or ridden the super duke? Whats that thing like?

·
Registered
341 Posts
While I wait for our finances to settle, thanks to our old house (Money Pit), I love to read the forum & hope to get an FZ within the year. When I bought my Versys, I had to change the bars, grips, mirrors & levers to start. Modify the seat, (took months of work) and change out the rear sprocket. Now it's a fun bike. If and when I get the FZ, I would probably modify the seat, change the levers (& bars/grips), leave the suspension (I weigh 160), flash the ECU, etc.....
I'm on my 5th bike in the last 3+ years, and none have stayed stock. Although I'm sure some of you have bought bikes over the years that have fit you well, how many have remained untouched? Even my KTM 200, which was as close to perfect as could be, wasn't. Anyway, now I may have to sell the Versys this summer to buy the FZ. Oh well, another project waiting. Be well, G.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Brvt1000, I think of a bike like the 09 as a blank slate, a base line, aka a standard bike. If a owner likes it close to stock, great. Riders want a different mixes of characteristics in a bike, sometimes it is hard to find a stock bike that fits your mix, plus is dependable, has a wide dealer network, parts and accessories availability, etc.

I'll have something like $3k added to my 09, suspension, GPR stabilize, clubmans, flash etc. I picked the 09 for it's engine, chassis (not including the suspension) and nakedness. I knew before I bought it what I'd be changing.

And I'm not saying Yamaha should have made the 09 the way I'm setting it up, they did the right thing giving it high bars and a low price, sales figures show that. It would have been great for me if there was also a naked 09 R version from Yamaha for $10k, but there isn't, and I enjoy putting my own together.
Oh I agree, I'd say it is impossible to find the perfect bike out of the box. The great thing about the FZ09 being what it is and not an "R" model is you can decide which path to go or just enjoy it for what it is... a hooligan machine that is just trying to add points to your drivers license.

I guess my biggest point was to the OP, if you are looking for something with stiffer suspension, a soft seat, and butter smooth throttle out of the box, happy hunting. Just not sure why the need to tell us all the reasons he is not getting one.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Since it has been mentioned...Has anybody here owned or ridden the super duke? Whats that thing like?
A very good friend of mine works at KTM headquarters and has last years RC8 that he is getting rid of for the SuperDuke. He has ridden the 1290 SuperDuke and says it blows the RC8 out of the water for OMG factor.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh I agree, I'd say it is impossible to find the perfect bike out of the box. The great thing about the FZ09 being what it is and not an "R" model is you can decide which path to go or just enjoy it for what it is... a hooligan machine that is just trying to add points to your drivers license.

I guess my biggest point was to the OP, if you are looking for something with stiffer suspension, a soft seat, and butter smooth throttle out of the box, happy hunting. Just not sure why the need to tell us all the reasons he is not getting one.
I just figured I would give my opinion on the bike since I was able to ride it. I know that darn near any bike I will get will get modified to make it how I want it, its just that I think the ninja will need the least amount of modification to get it where I want it. the FZ-09 could be an absolutely awesome bike for me with the right mods made to it, but I would like to keep the mods to a minimum if I can help it. I wouldn't say I will never own an FZ-09, its just that i found out that its not what im looking for right now(something to modify).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts