Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So unfortunately i dont have a very extensive history with motorcycles... My question is simple... I need something to commute to work with and is fun at the same time... Ive read the specs on the fz-09 and ive watched the videos... Ive even sat on one (haven't ridden it) and it feels as if it fits... So i ask the people of this forum... Is this a good bike for a first time biker?

Ive heard B mode is forgiving enough to learn on and get used to it before using the other modes, is this true?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So for a little background... Im 6'3" and 230lbs... And im 22... My daily commute is about 30+ miles and roughly 40-45 minutes...

·
Registered
158 Posts
I bought an Fz-09 as my first street bike but this is after close to a decade of riding in the dirt so I definitely know my way around a bike but the street is a completely different animal, I have learned as much in my first month with this bike as I have in years. I must say I could still see myself getting into trouble on this thing, while it is a comfortable bike that doesn't feel overly intimidating don't let it fool you this thing has a serious attitude and really requires you to respect it. If you are dead set on the FZ line of bikes I would take a look at the FZ-07 which still isn't what I would call a beginner bike but is more forgiving than its bigger brother. I am 6'2" about 195 and I honestly didn't notice a huge difference in size between the two bikes. How little experience do you have on street bikes? If this is your absolute first time on a motorcycle or even if you just haven't ridden a whole lot I would go to a motorcycle school first. Many allow you to use their bikes and they will teach you all the things you need to know about not killing yourself the first time you twist the throttle. If you are even considering a 600cc bike or bigger as your first motorcycle when you have little experience I think you would be completely insane to not take some sort of training course. No matter how fast of cars you have driven a motorcycle can get you into life threatening trouble faster than you could ever think possible with the smallest mistake. The first week I had the bike I left it in "B" mode and while it is a lot more tame I could still see it being a handful if you didn't now what you are doing.

Knowing your history with bikes would help a lot with us pointing you in the right direction.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I'd strongly suggest a USED Ninja 250 or 300 as a first bike. And I'd add, Don't Plan on committing Until you know how to ride on the street & deal with traffic -- this ain't no automobile. :(

Taking a two day course to obtain a license Only provides the legality to use public street to Learn How to Ride -- you don't know enough after a two day class to safely commute 30-40 minutes each way.

Don't rush this new addiction -- be smart and ease into it.:cool:

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Ninja 300 ftw. I'd like to have one for fun.

Reactions: cza888

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
So for a little background... Im 6'3" and 230lbs... And im 22... My daily commute is about 30+ miles and roughly 40-45 minutes...
I hope a friend has helped you out choosing a good Full face Helmet, Protective Jacket, etc. Unlike your car, there is no room for error or accidents.

We wish you well, but from experience, know the costs and the potential pitfalls.....Please think it out.:cool:

·
Super Moderator
4,424 Posts
As been said, and I might add, in a kind and paternal way...the FZ09 is not the best choice for a rider with limited experience.
Also, do not scrimp on safety gear. Gloves, helmet and jacket at a minimum. Boots and pants would be smart too.
It's a drag to have a broken leg with 1/3 of your leg-skin missing.

If your commute is not limited-access highway, you might also consider a used dual-sport bike, like a DR650. The DR is my go to
bike when I have to deal with cross town traffic here in Atlanta. And, I might add, the DR is one heck of a fun bike and riding it
taught me to be a much better rider in the twiddly bits of the north Georgia mountains.

If you just have to have a new, sporty motorcycle, the Yamaha FZ07 might be good for you, but there are others.
Keep asking questions here and you will get qualified advice.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Just get it and take it easy. As a side note, I feel almost too big for these bikes and I'm 5 feet 10 and 200 lbs. I'm on oil pan #3 from working the suspension too hard.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
1st Bike = Used

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Like many others my limited history is on the dirt.... Mainly quads and some honda dirt bikes that i had for a while... But no history on street... I had a friend let me drive her ninja (i dont remember what size) for about an hour in a parking lot... And as far as classes im already signed up for this weekend to take them...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Have you bothered to check what insurance would cost you on an FZ? There are many experienced riders on this forum who pay more than they should for this bike.

So unfortunately i dont have a very extensive history with motorcycles... My question is simple... I need something to commute to work with and is fun at the same time... Ive read the specs on the fz-09 and ive watched the videos... Ive even sat on one (haven't ridden it) and it feels as if it fits... So i ask the people of this forum... Is this a good bike for a first time biker?

Ive heard B mode is forgiving enough to learn on and get used to it before using the other modes, is this true?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Have you bothered to check what insurance would cost you on an FZ? There are many experienced riders on this forum who pay more than they should for this bike.
Yes yes yes. Do this first. Being a 22 y/o I'm sure just your car insurance is pretty expensive. I would not doubt that full coverage on this beast would run you close to $300-$400. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area(everything is more expensive here) and full coverage is $170 for me and I'm 35

To answer your question though. I would say no. This is not a beginner bike. This is my 2nd bike and I am GLAD I started on smaller bike, ninja 650r. That bike is a hell of a lot easier to ride and more predictable for a beginner. I think if I have gotten this bike when I was 22 I would of killed myself. no really I would have. You could do it but I would recommend learning to ride and how to truly handle a motorcycle instead of letting power make up for skill.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I put many years of dirt biking under my belt before getting my first street bike. I took a motorcycle driver's training course mainly for cheaper insurance and I am glad I did. I thought I knew how to ride with all my years of dirt biking, man was I ever wrong. They spent lots of time on survival skills for street riding, all kinds of simple things to make you more aware of everything going on around you. More like a motorcycle DEFENSIVE driver's training course, where they taught you what to watch out for and skills like counter steering. (or push steering as some people call it) They always said to always think that everyone else on the road does not see you. Stay out of their blind spots and assume everyone else is a bad driver and they are all out to get you. Not being in a car makes you a fragile target, so always be aware of everything around you. Needless to say it was a great course and a real eye opener.

As for the first bike question, getting something like a DRZ-400 or DR650 is a good idea. It would make a good first street bike to learn on, and it would be easy to sell when you get more comfortable and you are ready to move up to something like an FZ-07 or 09.

There are many other good bikes for a good first bike. You don't want something to small that makes you feel like a SmartCar can eat you for breakfast. And you don't want something that will scare the crap out of you and turn you off from riding ever again. Plus it's your first street bike so something that you can get for a good price in case you do drop it. Let's face it, your first bike, it's going to get dropped accidently, most times it's while going slowly when you least expect it. Another good choice would be something like a 500cc or maybe a Suzuki SV650 maximum. The SV gets some good reviews as a first bike if you are not totally new to riding, and have ridden dirt bikes before.

Suzuki SV650 Review | Best Beginner Motorcycles

Some people don't recommend a dual sport like a DRZ-400 or DR650 as a first bike, to top heavy. I disagree as they are not that bad weight wise, a little top heavy but perfect to learn slow speed balance on. I have no issues on my DR with balance, which makes my 09 even easier to ride at slow speeds. The big plus is that you have a great seating position and you can see over most cars which also helps you to be seen. If the bike is to small it's hard to see and be seen. Plus if you have ridden dirt bikes before, it is a familiar place to start. The last thing you want is your first bike to be too much bike that will scare you off riding for good. You see that a lot with new slightly used bikes for sale. They are easy to spot, new sport bike, low mileage, for sale with all the riding gear included.

And don't forget to get some good riding gear, full face helmet, jacket, gloves and at least a good sturdy set of hiking boots and jeans. Even a good set of over pants are not that much money. If you can get a set of riding boots or shoes, they are worth the extra money. Wear the gear all the time no matter how long or short the ride.

·
Registered
336 Posts
This bike is a beast. Seriously listen to nearly every person on here telling you in one way or another that it's not a good idea. Is it a good third bike? Absolutely! Do the 07 at least out of the gate. You can kid yourself all day long that you will just keep it in "B" mode, but be honest with yourself on that one because there is no forgiveness when you flip the switch to A mode. When you read the reviews on the 09 engine you can tell they are literally overjoyed. That's code for "watch out" if you don't have super strong street skills developed yet. But do what you want to do. But know there will be an 09 available in a year or two if you work your way up to it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Fz-09 is my first bike.. havent dropped it yet(knock on wood)..love riding it and although i do have a good history working and upgrading cars..never wrenched on a bike before..to date ive taken apart and installed all the upgrades on my bike aside from the manual CCT....i love the damn thing....just have a mature mindset when riding and youll be fine..you dont need to haul ass everywhere

·
Registered
730 Posts
[email protected]! $!

115 HP, 65 #/' of torque does not = a 1st bike for ANYONE!

Reactions: redrider

·
Registered
730 Posts
You justneed to learn to ride. Then learn to set the suspension correctly.... lots to learn, Brother.

You REALLY shouldn't be breaking oil pans..... I'm 5'10", 225.

Just get it and take it easy. As a side note, I feel almost too big for these bikes and I'm 5 feet 10 and 200 lbs. I'm on oil pan #3 from working the suspension too hard.

Reactions: magilke441
1 - 20 of 48 Posts