Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a lurker and poster on many sites and last year really got into looking for my first bike. I have played in the dirt on and off for awhile and last summer actually went out and got my m license here in the state of Illinois.

I have been looking for the perfect bike and have possibly narrowed it down but have a couple crazy interests. I really loved the fz8 and it felt comfortable but I also fell in love with the bolt at the same dealership. I ended up scouring the web and found my way here looking at the FZ09 as a serious option.

I'm curious to know everyone's opinion on the bolt and the fz09 as I can't seem to decide...
I've contacted a couple dealers and they're advertising the Rspec bolt at around 7400 and the fz09 similar but most are out of stock...

I plan on riding to/from work about 60 miles a day and really have no aspirations to drag race or track said bike (as of now)....

Thoughts?

Other bikes considered were the Ninja 300, zx6r, and possibly the fz6r

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Go for something with less power than the fz09 for a first bike. Get used to riding first and get the FZ down the road.

You'll hear the above and you'll hear others tell you to buy it and use B mode.

The reality is, it's your choice - is this forum really going to make you change your mind if you want it?

Sent from my hot secretary, dictated but not read

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
There are many threads on this topic. It is hotly debated. Use the search function. My .02 don't buy a new bike for your first bike. Waste of money. Only buy a bike new if you plan to keep it for many years. There are so many nice used bikes out there. Other than that ask yourself this question. Would you have survived if your first car was a Viper?

Reactions: gbarney and beck

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
A used Ninja 300 up to a 650 twin, flog it for a year to get street experience, then a new bike.

Edit: Not only will your skills improve on the used bike but after it you'll have a better idea which new bike to go for.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
So the choices are cheap bikes. FZ-09 or a Bolt or a discontinued FZ-8 ?? All this tells me your only choice for choosing a new bike is price and that is the worst thing you can do. Buy a used bike...under 50 hp.....crash it a few times,....and THEN you might learn how to pick a bike that suit your needs.

Reactions: zloikish

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Go for something with less power than the fz09 for a first bike. Get used to riding first and get the FZ down the road.

You'll hear the above and you'll hear others tell you to buy it and use B mode.

The reality is, it's your choice - is this forum really going to make you change your mind if you want it?

I'm conservative enough I won't make an ass of myself, but it does worry me that I'm still too notice on the street.

There are many threads on this topic. It is hotly debated. Use the search function. My .02 don't buy a new bike for your first bike. Waste of money. Only buy a bike new if you plan to keep it for many years. There are so many nice used bikes out there. Other than that ask yourself this question. Would you have survived if your first car was a Viper?
Sure would have. But my first car was much sexier in the form of a 1 ton van!

If I pick up a bike this summer, it will probably be kept as long as I can ride, Ducati has my eye but I won't be able to afford one of them for quite awhile...

A used Ninja 300 up to a 650 twin, flog it for a year to get street experience, then a new bike.

Edit: Not only will your skills improve on the used bike but after it you'll have a better idea which new bike to go for.
I think this is the most common thing I've seen and it's common statement "but used 250, ride the piss out of it, resell next season" but I've also seen people say to get the bike you want and grow into it, but won't you develop bad habits this way?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the choices are cheap bikes. FZ-09 or a Bolt or a discontinued FZ-8 ?? All this tells me your only choice for choosing a new bike is price and that is the worst thing you can do. Buy a used bike...under 50 hp.....crash it a few times,....and THEN you might learn how to pick a bike that suit your needs.
Price isn't the biggest issue, I had my eye on the fz8 but the fz09 is better performance for the same dollar. Realistically I set a budget of 8k before gear and was browsing all options.

My worry with a used bike is buying someone else's problem. I purchased a used car and when realigning the head lights found the previous owner added some drywall screws strategically to hold the bumper, that was a fun night...

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Bad habits? With a bike of lesser power you spend less concentration on not over gassing, so you can focus on other skills.

I think in general the best riders have experience on a range of bikes, different types, low HP on up, etc.

Edit
I forget his nick, there is a forum member here that has an 09 street bike and a Ninja 300 track bike. Find a twistie road and flog it, fun & educational. ;) I forget the HP of the 300, my first street bike back in 76 had 38HP, had a ton of fun on it for 3 years, Indiana to Maine, interstate, riding with passenger, etc.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Bolt...you don't need a sport bike for commuting unless you want the sport bike uses like speed. The bolt has plenty of power, looks good, and the r spec has good features. If you can ride in the dirt, you can ride a bolt safely. An 09 is much much more aggressive than any dirt bike.

·
Registered
220 Posts
This is difficult to assess given we don't know you or your riding background. Are you literally starting from scratch? Do you have years of riding experience on dirt? How old are you? In general, I personally believe an FZ-09 is not a good bike to learn on from ground level. Had you been riding a CR 500 in the woods for 5 years, maybe. But honestly, in spite of the inexpensive price tag, this is a legit bike. Sub 420lb bike with over 100whp and the upright seating position make for a rowdy ride. Some people will tell you to just leave it in "B" mode and learn the bike. While the bike is much more tame in "B" mode, its still quite a hooligan. I have a co-worker here who has never owned a bike in his life, and goes out and buys a 09 Hayabusa. Guess what, 2 weeks later he low sides it going 25 mph. If you have little to no experience on 2 wheels, pick up a cheap ninja 500 or similar bike and learn the basics. Throttle control, maneuvers, clutch technique. These are attributes that, on an FZ will get you hurt. For those of you who are going to say to get the FZ and progress your skills, please keep in mind who you are potentially persuading. Most of us have some years under our belt. Would you recommend your neighbor or nephew to jump on an FZ right out the gate? I wouldn't... What ever you choose, ride safe and have fun...

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Price isn't the biggest issue, I had my eye on the fz8 but the fz09 is better performance for the same dollar. Realistically I set a budget of 8k before gear and was browsing all options.

My worry with a used bike is buying someone else's problem. I purchased a used car and when realigning the head lights found the previous owner added some drywall screws strategically to hold the bumper, that was a fun night...

Think about this real hard. You spent your $8,500.00 plus $1000 for insurance a year, and now you have a brand new, perfect, scratch free motorcycle that no one else had a chance to screw up.....and you are so proud of. Then a few months later you crash it and it costs you another $500 for the deductible and you wait two months for it to be fixed at the dealer. Now....you're already VERY expensive insurance for a 100hp motorcycle goes up and you are riding around on a bike you really don't want anymore. You try to sell it and Car Fax shows the potential buyer that it was crashed already. Good luck selling it. If you manage to sell it for 6k...you did good. Total loss of money during ownership for one year...about $3500.00

Or this > You buy a used Ninja 300 cash for $4,000 and just get cheap liability insurance. You crash that a few times and who cares right? You learn how to work on it....fix it...and aquire some good riding skills while owning it for a year or so. You sell it....get 3k back...and then buy a new bike that you want. Total loss of money during ownership for one year...about $1000.00.

Which is better? Looking cool for your buddies.....or being smart with your money and your life?

Reactions: fresh9 and Yoyodyne

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Have to say I agree with cd599 above and add you can find a 300 or something like an sv650 for even less than $4k depending on where you live. My SV had 22k miles when I got it, my insurance was $100 for the year, I luckily never dropped it but came close once in a parking lot. Never had any issues and learned how to do oil changes etc.

Insurance is a huge expense for this bike particularly if it's your first. Most people overlook that element.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Yeah I personally couldn't handle a 250 or 300. I'd at least get an sv650 or ninja 650, or fz6r. Really if you want power and reliability, with low cost get a 2001-2006 HondaCBRF4i. Still a supersport, but the insurance is cheaper, and the bikes are cheaper. So you won't be afraid to drop it. But they still look great, and haul ass.
Here is mine (2006 CBR600F4i with 5,000 miles on it. Bought it for $4800 in 2012, it was my second bike:

Reactions: Pacer

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
The FZ-09 is not a good bike to start on....Ive been riding for close to 30 years and this bike requires all of my attention when your in the throttle....and I still cant keep the wheel down....
yes, its easy to say dont whack the throttle, but for new riders, whacking the throttle is not something that is always done on purpose and things happen fast on a bike such as this.....so with little to no experience, its not a bike that you want to be on...

you can pick up a used Ninja 250 for about $1500-1800, ride it for a year and sell it for pretty much what you paid for it....if you drop it or crash it, who cares....you can still part it out and get your money back...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Could a new rider negotiate an MSF course on the 09? No. If you think it is a good bike to learn on, then prove it on a training course, as a new rider
I know experienced riders that would struggle with the msf course on their big cruisers. (Particularly the double u turn) There was even a guy in my MSF class with his duece in the parking lot..

I think some of this debate lies within the potential owners age, maturity and road experience in general.. With years of road experience you have already learned to spot road hazards, you've learned what situations are dangerous. You've hopefully learned how to predict what another car might do.
Would I recommend this bike to a 20 yr old w/ no experience... No!
A 35 yr old who had never driven anything faster than a Honda.. (Dont hate I know there are some sick fast Hondas) .. Probably not..
But would I recommend it to someone who has driven sports cars, race cars, dirt bikes, quads or sandrails aggressively.. Probably yes. If you have handled high performance machines before then you have a respect for the power that you are in control of. Respect the beast that the 09 is.. My first 1000 miles were strictly B mode, now I leave it in standard. But I ride well within my skill set. I have no problem keeping the front down.. It's about throttle control.. Whether it's 800 hp in a car or 100+hp on the 09, throttle control/respect is needed..

1 - 20 of 53 Posts