Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, my names Scott. So Ive been wanting a bike for a couple years but had a lot of time and money into a drift car. I bought my first house about a year ago, and the race car (money pit) had gone. I picked up a couple of dirt bikes to ride in this killer abandoned archery range that i found behind my house. That kinda set things in motion. I found myself at a yamaha dealer getting a few small parts for the dirt bikes, and there it was in liquid graphite. I had been looking for something used and decent, but once i saw the price of the FZ09 and what you get for it I had to have it. So last Friday after work, I got my permit and the following morning I was taking home a FZ-09 home. I had it for about 5 hours before the rear fender was off and shortened and the horn was moved to the left air scoop. Frame sliders, spools and stands are in the mail. Now there's about 200 miles on the bike and I couldn't be happier, well until it gets warmer out haha.

600013_10152263701370366_1584683083_n.jpg

255699_10150633501350366_6512548_n.jpg

1464649_10153538416075366_1256158059_n.jpg

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
your going to find that most ppl on this form don't recommend the FZ-09 as a 1st bike, me included. The dirt bike experience will be invaluable...how much riding on the dirt bikes have you done in a year?
Be reeeaal careful with this bike, it has alot of power and can bite you quickly.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, well I knew that going into this deal. Ive been riding at least every weekend on the dirt for a year or so. I've pushed it a bit but nothing crazy. I actually find it more manageable than my on or off yz85 and 125 2 strokes that wheelie if you think about touching the throttle ha. I've had 2 pretty bad crashes on dirt that definitely make me respect the fz and think about what I'm doing. I don't like the hospital or the bills.

·
Registered
131 Posts
your going to find that most ppl on this form don't recommend the FZ-09 as a 1st bike, me included.
I think the FZ-09 is a great first street bike. B mode is very forgiving. As soon as you feel more comfortable, you can "grow" with the bike and switch to Standard.

It's my first motorcycle. Well, I had a Ninja 250 for a couple of weeks then traded it in....Honestly wouldn't even count it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. Please be careful though, I am one of those who think this is a lot of bike to learn on.

And I also hink the ninja 250 is a great bike. Nothing to be ashamed of.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
my post got cut short by dinner :) Welcome to the forum! Its not an impossible bike to start on the street, but you just have to be real careful for quite a while. The thing is, new street riders make errors, it happens, its a fact. These errors happen in a blink, and it takes alot of seat time to develop the right instincts. Dirt riding is great because you know what it feels like to slide around...but dumping in the grass is alot different than dumping on the pavement. So the advice is, take your time with this bike, dont get full of yourself, and try not to get drunk with the fun of this bike.

Also, watch alot of youtube crash videos...that will keep you remembering what a delicate balance riding on 2 wheels really is. So just be careful, and you'll grow into the bike. Good luck! I really hope it works out for you.

The race car looks bada$$ by the way...I wish I knew how to drift. I no longer have a car capable of that kind of driving (SUV now)...but back in my RX-8 days, I certainly gave it my best effort!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the kind works guys. yea the 2 bad crashes were on gravel lol. separated my shoulder (ac separation) after getting bucked off the bike on a large jump and landed on my head/ left shoulder then the bike landed on me. the crash after that( a short time after the last incident, wasn't even healed yet) was into my buddy on his atv. i was going much faster than him, going for the pass at the top of 5th gear. he got on the throttle or changed gear or something, got sideways and cut right in front of me. no time to react, hit the back left tire of his trx450 at full throttle. full on yard sale. that as scary. cartwheeling through the air, got away with a badly bruised knee , hurt like hell for a long time. somehow didn't mess my shoulder up any more. definitely slowed down since the house cant pay for itself. but on a happier subject, yes that car was a ton of fun, i miss it but, after working on cars all day(benz dealer) i got tired of 1. pulling motors and such and 2. spending endless amounts of money. i enjoy playing with bikes, i wish i started sooner.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts