Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who aren't watching the build threads, I figured I'd share some new happenings on the suspension front...actually, the back. Back, as in shock:)

Here is the first prototype shock built - I apologize for the grainy photo. It was the best I could get. This is an 8983 'Double Clicker'. It sports low speed compression and rebound damping adjustment, preload, and ride height adjustment. And of course, the spring rates and base damping are custom spec'd for each rider...nothing off the shelf here!

The stock shock spring works out to be a 560 lb/in rate. Going to take a trial or two to settle on a proper rate, but as you can probably guess, we'll be going stiffer.

So for those who aren't familiar with aftermarket shocks, here's the rundown. The black collar with the multiple holes is the preload collar. This end attaches to the swingarm, so you'll have full easy access to the collar for adjustments. Same with the reb rebound knob. No stooping down on your hands and knees and reaching up inside the swingarm on this bike. That will be cool!

The compression adjuster is, as usual, on the reservoir. The final mounting location is still TBD, and the next prototype will likely include swivel fittings to make hose routing easier. At this point, I'm expecting the reservoir will mount under the tail or on the back side of the passenger peg mounts. Given the tight confines under the seat (that nice void in front of the battery is where other markets get the ABS module, so it's off limits).

So rather than just jump right to market with this shock, we're going to hone a few areas to make sure everything is bullet proof...hose length, reservoir mounting location (and hardware, if necessary), spring rates, and base damping. In terms of configuration, we're also working on an 8975 (no reservoir or ride height adjustment) and a piggyback reservoir (going to be a real challenge, though).

I'll provide more updates and photos as things progress, but I wanted to feed you guys some information. This is a major step forward in 'fixing' the FZ-09!

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
You are the man. That is the exact setup that I am looking for. Thanks for all of the hard work. Let me know when you determine price after you iron out valving, spring rates, and fittings.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Happy to be of service...though I'd be lying if I said this was all for you guys, lol. So looking forward to getting this bike sorted!!
I was thinking about mounting the reservoir on the back of the passenger footpeg mounts like the good old days. First thing I always do with a new bike is pull the seat strap and passenger footpegs.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Uhh, I guess it goes without saying that I'm definitely interested in this............so.........I'm INTERESTED IN THIS! :)

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trying to catch up on the happenings from the last week...been pretty busy with a number of different projects.

Not a whole to show at the moment, but we're very close to having a working body on the shock. We had to work with a few different style top caps to get something that works. The issue with this bike (if you want to call it that) is that Yamaha didn't do us any favors in the packaging department. The FZ-09 is one of the tightest packages we've worked on a while. Trying to add components that the factory didn't plan for is challenging: remote reservoir, hose, and associated fittings all seem to find their way into other 'hard' points.

The first crack at this will be a 600 lb/in spring, but I expect that to increase; it's just a starting point. If you've been following the ECU work we've been doing, you know we're still without an ECU at the moment. That means no road testing. :(

We'll be at Penske's shop tomorrow to work out some of the kinks. God willing, we'll have more to share very shortly! For now, a teaser:

·
Registered
611 Posts
Nick,

The blue spring will be available on the final product?

Any other colors planned?

-Jay

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
cjhorton wrote:
I'd like mine to be Rapid Red, with just a "hint" of gold anodize.........you know, to match my lipstick and the forks! :lips: :laughing9:

Reactions: DNFDOUG

·
Registered
611 Posts
cjhorton wrote:

I'd like mine to be Rapid Red, with just a "hint" of gold anodize.........you know, to match my lipstick and the forks! :lips: :laughing9:
Don't be crying "Not fair" when the blurples have blurple springs and the red riders have *TBD* springs!

Make them Blurple or nothing just because of Vern!!! Bwuhaha!

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
cjhorton wrote:
Make them Blurple or nothing just because of Vern!!! Bwuhaha!
Oh sure, pick on the "old guy".........I'm screaming age discrimination!! :cool:

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nick,

Any other colors planned?

-Jay
Penske uses both Hyperco and Eibach in blue and burgundy, respectively. You can get into powdercoating, but honestly, I've never gotten good information from either vendor on their final temper process. I have two good local powdercoaters, but the one I trust very little when it comes to furnace temps. For that reason, I've checked my vanity at the door. But seriously, the blue looks pretty snazzy on the bike in person.

·
Registered
364 Posts
And I thought I was the only one that wore red lipstick while riding.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My Eibach springs for dirt bikes were always dipped in a rubber type coating. This was long before PlastiDip.
You make a good point - PlastiDip is a good alternative. The beauty of the FZ's layout is that the spring can be swapped within minutes without taking the shock off the bike. Touch ups will be easy.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
And I thought I was the only one that wore red lipstick while riding.
The only reason I do that is because it matches my shoes (Sidi boots)

1 - 20 of 111 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.