Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Decided to brave the cold/windy weather and put some miles on the bike today, odo was reading 40 when I arrived home but trip one reads 41.2? Not sure how that is possible!

Anyway, here are some random thoughts after my first ever ride on a "sport" standard:

- Super comfortable! Seat seems fine to me stock but I will reserve final judgement until I get a 100+ mile ride on it.
- Motor is nice, pulls cleanly even at low RPM's in any gear. Used "A" mode the entire time, switched to STD while moving for a bit but went right back.
- Throttle is fine pending you are smooth with on/off transitions, reminds me of my 2004 R6 trackbike that had the same type of fueling.
- Needs a windscreen for sure, cruising at anything over 65 you really start to feel it. Took it over 115 for a brief stint and there is literally nothing to hide behind stock, would be nice to be able to tuck if needed.
- Front brakes lack initial bite when first applied but they do stop fine with enough lever pressure. As others have stated a set of lines and pads would be more than enough for aggressive street use.
- Since roads were cold and wet in spots I did not go crazy around any corners but the bike is super easy to turn and transition.
- Might benefit from a damper, seems to get twitchy at high RPM even when trying to weight the front
- Gauge cluster is actually not as bad as I thought it would be, tach is readable for the most part even at speed. Would have been nice to have a small programmable shift light though.
- Everyone talks about how good the triple sound is, maybe I will change my mind after an exhaust down the road but the RSV4 is still king hands down in my book

Already ordered a Penske, front springs, brakes lines and some other random parts. Will be headed out to Stoltec at some point in the coming weeks for the forks and to have the ECU flashed.

At the price point Yamaha is selling them at it is a really fun bike, can't wait for the warmer weather to get here to rack up some more miles.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Welcome to the riders club!

·
Registered
30 Posts
That's sweet. I took mine out for the first time today too. You seem to be a little more cold tolerant though as I only managed to get 6.2 miles on mine. But I pretty much agree with everything you pointed out, super comfortable ride, noticed the front brake right away, and the throttle wasn't as bad as I was expecting.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
Welcome to the addiction guys.......and the forum!

Reactions: MasonMoto#1

·
Registered
244 Posts
Sooo jealous.. waiting her at my arctic pole for riding weather :-(
Maybe I should get spikes lol

Blue Snow Winter Turquoise Sky

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sooo jealous.. waiting her at my arctic pole for riding weather :-(
Maybe I should get spikes lol

View attachment 2318
3 weeks of frigid temps and snow here in NJ also, getting out for any seat time in January was a fluke for sure. The FZ09 is sitting in pieces right now in the garage, waiting for a couple other items before putting it back together.

Storm just dropped about 8 inches of wet snow today, at least I get to run something with gas - the snowblower.

Reactions: beck
1 - 7 of 7 Posts